East/West Shrine Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

East/West Shrine Game

Geordie

Club Member
Reaction score
Takes place Jan 18th, in tampa. Think CK gets to the practices there each year, would appreciate updates man :) Here's a site with the roster some interesting names on there:

Takes place Jan 18th, in tampa. Think CK gets to the practices there each year, would appreciate updates man :) Here's a site with the roster some interesting names on there:

Tyler Johnson would be one of the most embarrassing Sr Bowl omissions of the decade.

Some of the prospects I'm interested in seeing. BTW like last year NFL Network have both the Shrine game and Senior Bowl live, think they'll also have practice coverage at the senior bowl.

Interested to see if Kelly Bryant flashes at QB and Tyler Huntley too. Is Adrian Killens at 164lbs to small to play at the next level at RB ? I like Patrick Taylor in the late rounds at RB. There's a couple of Gators at WR in Hammond and Freedie Swain who probably go undrafted but I'll be rooting for the guys, I think Swain in particular could have a situational value in the NFL for a team that can use him. There's some very interesting Oline prospects,, such as Throckmorton, Runyan, Womack and Bowen which indicates to my uneducated eye that this is pretty deep class, which is great for us. Highsmith's there at DE which I'm sure CK will take an interest in as he's mentioned that kid before. The Linebackers look interesting with Divinty and two Huricanes. Galsgow really flashed against Bama in the Bowl game, want to see him again, plenty more interesting DBs like Carter and Fuller.

Ugh. Geordie, you're going to bully me into going to Shrine practices. I'm already planning on taking time off work to go to the Super Bowl as I've got press credentials this year.

You have a duty to serve our needs :p You know you won't be able to resist, they practice in your back yard don't they ? And congrats on getting credentialed hopefully that opens even more doors for you.

You have a duty to serve our needs :p You know you won't be able to resist, they practice in your back yard don't they ? And congrats on getting credentialed hopefully that opens even more doors for you.

This is pretty much the pinnacle of doors that could be opened up for me, LOL. All downhill from here.

I would say your most impressive East quarterback today was James Morgan of FIU. But generally the three of them did a good job getting chemistry with the WRs right away.

There was a Rhode Island WR named Aaron Parker that bears monitoring. He's 6'2" & 205 lbs but moves a lot like some of those smaller slot receivers you'd see. I think he can run so I want to see how he does this week. Other than him, my impression was that FSU's Keith Gavin really did well. Florida WR Josh Hammond also ate.

There's another Rhode Island kid on the OL named Kyle Murphy, listed 6'3" & 290 lbs, who had a real squatty, powerful body. He could really drop anchor. I am not sure I was overly impressed with anyone on the offensive line. Nothing too bad just nothing that came out and grabbed me.

Nevelle Clark of UCF had some good reps in 1-on-1's. He really competed.

I watched a lot of DLs today and while this is unfair because I was specifically watching him quite a bit, Alex Highsmith of Charlotte was pretty great today. He had good reps in the 1-on-1's and I noticed him constantly threatening the passer in team portions. But he's not a one-trick pony by any means.

That said there was a mysterious #58 being used all over the defensive line, inside and outside, who was giving the OLs fits. At one point the OL Coach was yelling at Charlie Heck that he did a good job, sort of consoling him that it wasn't perfect, by saying, "Hey, that guy's really f--king good, OK?"

Kept looking at the roster and asking around and nobody knew who it was. The media folks were kind enough to inform me that it was actually Tershawn Wharton of Missouri State, listed 6'1" & 275 lbs, he just had to wear the #58 instead of his listed number #71 today for whatever reason. I've got some research to do on him.

DL Joe Gaziano of Northwestern (listed 6'4" & 267 lbs) was easily the most polished defensive lineman in drills. That guy "gets it". I don't know how good he is, ultimately.

There's a big DL by the name of Auzoyah Alufohai from West Georgia, listed 6'5" & 328 lbs. He moved alright today. He's quite the load. Another one to do research on.

That's it. Couldn't get around to the West practice, more's the pity. I hear that Calvin Throckmorton played guard and acquitted himself well. I also hear DE Bryce Huff a guy I've talked about before did well. As did CB Jace Whittaker who I'd think is the best CB invite of the Shrine Game but ya never know.

Sneaking suspicion that during the game itself QB Mason Fine will dominate. He's on the West. Didn't get to see him today.

I would say your most impressive East quarterback today was James Morgan of FIU. But generally the three of them did a good job getting chemistry with the WRs right away.

There was a Rhode Island WR named Aaron Parker that bears monitoring. He's 6'2" & 205 lbs but moves a lot like some of those smaller slot receivers you'd see. I think he can run so I want to see how he does this week. Other than him, my impression was that FSU's Keith Gavin really did well. Florida WR Josh Hammond also ate.

There's another Rhode Island kid on the OL named Kyle Murphy, listed 6'3" & 290 lbs, who had a real squatty, powerful body. He could really drop anchor. I am not sure I was overly impressed with anyone on the offensive line. Nothing too bad just nothing that came out and grabbed me.

I watched a lot of DLs today and while this is unfair because I was specifically watching him quite a bit, Alex Highsmith of Charlotte was pretty great today. He had good reps in the 1-on-1's and I noticed him constantly threatening the passer in team portions. But he's not a one-trick pony by any means.

That said there was a mysterious #58 being used all over the defensive line, inside and outside, who was giving the OLs fits. At one point the OL Coach was yelling at Charlie Heck that he did a good job, sort of consoling him that it wasn't perfect, by saying, "Hey, that guy's really f--king good, OK?"

Kept looking at the roster and asking around and nobody knew who it was. The media folks were kind enough to inform me that it was actually Tershawn Wharton of Missouri State, listed 6'1" & 275 lbs, he just had to wear the #58 instead of his listed number #71 today for whatever reason. I've got some research to do on him.

DL Joe Gaziano of Northwestern (listed 6'4" & 267 lbs) was easily the most polished defensive lineman in drills. That guy "gets it". I don't know how good he is, ultimately.

There's a big DL by the name of Auzoyah Alufohai from West Georgia, listed 6'5" & 328 lbs. He moved alright today. He's quite the load. Another one to do research on.

That's it. Couldn't get around to the West practice, more's the pity. I hear that Calvin Throckmorton played guard and acquitted himself well. I also hear DE Bryce Huff a guy I've talked about before did well. As did CB Jace Whittaker who I'd think is the best CB invite of the Shrine Game but ya never know.

Sneaking suspicion that during the game itself QB Mason Fine will dominate. He's on the West. Didn't get to see him today.

Told ya :) Thanks Chris though, great read as per usual.

I've looked further into several of the guys I mentioned.

The Rhode Island WR Aaron Parker seems like he might be iron pyrite. He does move well and he's built well. But his catch technique often looks like trying to catch a football between two tennis rackets. He reminds me of Derek Hagan. He can show up and make some big plays, and I can see how he won awards at Rhode Island. But there's a focus/concentration issue that even showed up yesterday when he had to face physical man coverage.

TerShawn Wharton fully checks out on film. I'll be watching and doing quite a bit of research on him. He's 270+ lbs but there are portions of his games you see him running stride for stride with the under-200 crowd. He's built like Aaron Donald and I don't say that lightly. Yesterday they played him everywhere on the DL and I can see why. His height could scare some off as he gets into that tweener range at 6'1" & 270 lbs. But this is a very good looking player.

For that matter Kyle Murphy checks out on Rhode Island film. He looks like your typical big fish in a small pond, playing left tackle at Rhode Island because he's the best OL they have, but destined to move inside in the NFL. His pad level is unique and it drives his anchor, but he's also good with his hands, very strong, and shows some awareness. Tony Pauline has caught onto Murphy today (I couldn't be at practice, unfortunately) and says that Murphy was the best of the OLs today.

I'm not at all familiar with Keith Gavin's career at FSU. It's clear he's been overlooked for his time there, down in the depth chart, and there's usually a reason why. But he's built, and he can run. He's had some fantastic kick returns at FSU and yesterday he looked very tough to cover deep. Tracked and caught the bell really easily.

Auzoyah Alufohai is a big, big man. And given that he played at West Georgia, if you watch his stuff there, he's going to look like a big, big man. But he's not sloppy! He's built highly athletic, like a Roman god. He was by no means standing out for his speed next to guys like Joe Gaziano, TerShawn Wharton, or Alex Highsmith...all of whom are between 50 and 70 lbs lighter than him. But his clock definitely runs faster than your typical 330 lbs human at the position and that is what has me intrigued. There's something to be said for the biggest and strongest and most athletic, especially when they play low and behind their pads, like he does. Goodness he's one to keep an eye on.

I mean, look at this friggin guy:

Nevelle Clark looks like he's got good hips and movement skills. He executes speed turns well. I'd be interested to find out how purely fast he is. The reason stood out to me yesterday was because there was a snap where he practically ran the one-on-one route for the guy, and that kind of route recognition in a one-on-one situation is really saying something because the situation favors the receiver by quite a bit. When I watch his video against Stanford, I see some of that. Here it is again, right away in this Stanford game, causing a popped-up interception.

And again here, practically runs the route for the guy...

Those plays, Clark reproduced even better in one-on-one's yesterday. There was a competitiveness about him. He was a talker. He could pick out what another player did wrong from the sidelines. Very physical. Very patient. You come away thinking...he knows his sh-t.

Don't mind the announcer to dumbly circled the wrong player here. Nevelle Clarke had an interception against Houston. When asked about it after the game, he said "The quarterback threw the ball when I was waiting for a certain play, and I made a play on it." Yeah he certainly was waiting for a certain play. That's some nice film study and execution.

UCF are my other college team, since I lived so close to that campus for a number of years, I had totally forgotten though about Clark. He was the leader of the D there, if you are looking for leaders in the locker room and players that play with 100% every down, he's your guy. Like him a lot.

Back
Top Bottom