Eli Manning threating to sit? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eli Manning threating to sit?

Eli career will die in San Diego?This is what NFL draft is all about.Allowing the worst team in the league to get a shot a potential star player.The franchise is relying on the player to become a star for its success.I don't think player success is determine by which team draft him but rather by the individual player attitude,determination and his brain.

I think it's bull**** for Manning to hold the Chargers hostage.This is not what the draft is all about.I hope Chargers draft him and hopefully Chargers suck again next year so that they can draft him #1 again in '05.

I'm not certain about this, but I think that when the Vikings were going through so much difficulty in getting their man signed back two years ago that we determined a player cannot be selected, hold out, and then selected by the same team again.

heheh... What ya wanna bet Tags muscles SD into trading down with someone so as to guarantee Eli goes #1? I detest that commissioner.

Go ahead, let the little flamer sit out the season. I'm sure his future teammates and the fans would love to have that happen. Good luck loser

Justasportsfan said:
While people like Tillman makes a huge decision that cost him his life, Eli threatens to sit it out. I hope he becomes the biggest bust in the history of the NFL.

Isnt it amazing how selfless a human being can be and on the same day you hear a story that is the complete opposite. On one hand you have a guy who turned down millions from the NFL to serve his country, and on the other you have whinning little kid acting like he is the greatest to ever wear pads. Worrying only about himself and threatening to sit out an entire season to get what he wants. If he sits out can we send him over to Afghanistan, maybe then he will appreciate what he had.

Phinzone said:
well he's being a whiny little biach, I agree,

But I think it would be the end of his career. Not because their a bad team over all (which htey are), but because they just can't develope QB's. Leaf, Breese, etc. Just can't develope their rookies right. I feel bad for PR if he ends up in San Diego, whatever young QB goes there will flop, mark my words. It's an internal problem with them.

Brees and Leaf were busts because they just weren't good, not because of how SD treated him. I hope Manning becomes a bigger bust than Leaf but I doubt it will happen.

The one thing that has struck me good about Eli, until now, is his maturity...this shows that he is an immature brat who whines when he doesn't get his way....I hope he gets drafted by SD and turns out just like Akili Smith....forgotten....

Hehh... Now that I'm hearing this, I remember something.

I don't know how many of you guys read my post before the Senior Bowl concerning a client that apparently had a nephew playing for Ole Miss within the last 3 years (and I didn't know who the newphew was, though the client acted as if I should know). Eli had been to the client's Christmas party the previous year and brought him an autographed helmet he had stolen from the athletic department. The client told me that Archie had told him that he didn't want Eli going to San Diego (or the Saints). Odd. I didn't think anything of it at the time and had forgotten about it until just a moment ago.

I agree that this was a PR move by the Chargers all along. If you have paid attention to what they have been saying and the guys they have paid attention to most during the offseason, I don't think they were ever all that high on Eli. I don't think they EVER palnned on taking him... but the fan outcry and general consensus that he is THE man (which I don't beleive he is) forced them to make a move to have an "excuse" not to draft him.

Think about it... prior to yesterday the only team in serious talks with the Chargers for Manning was the Giants... but now that teams think San Diego HAS to trade out of the 1st spot, there will be more teams calling and enquiring on what it would take to move up. Even though some of those teams might not be willing to give up a lot because they feel San Diego doesn't have a lot of leverage, the more teams that get involved the more San Diego will eventually get.

I beleive San Diego has coveted Phillip Rivers all along. (There is a REASON he was invited to the Draft... the NFL polls the top teams confidentially for the top players on their draft board to get that list of invitees) Remember, Rivers was also one of the 4 players that San Diego began negotiations with, and Schottenheimer coached him during the Senior bowl and practices. It may all be a smoke screen, but i doubt it.

I said it before all this came out... but I guarantee Manning will be the biggest disappointment in the draft. Maybe he won't be a "bust" but he is gonna be a lot more Tim Couch than he is going to be Peyton Manning. The only reason his stock has risen so high has been his last name. If he was evaluated PURELY on his own talents... he would likely be far behind Rivers and Roethlisberger... and maybe neck and neck with Losman. Scouts keep saying, "He is more PHYSICALLY ready than Peyton was coming out." But that means NOTHING. The INTANGIBLES: anticipation, game study, timing, audibles, play-action fakes, etc. are what make Manning one of the best (besides Harrison.) They just assume, that he will develop all the intangibles Peyton has because his last name is Manning. But, he never showed those intangibles in college, and most sscouts say he doesn't have the work ethic of Peyton. But, somehow they beleive the magical football gene will just give him all the intangibles Peyton has. He's a Mirage!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of his stature is his name, but make no mistake about it, he IS a very talented QB. I've said repeatedly that he is not the sure thing that Peyton was, in that I could envision him going some crappy place (like, uh ... San Diego), and never developing very much. His deficiency? He does not have the super studious approach that has made Peyton the player he is. Doesn't mean he couldn't develop it, but he hasn't acquired it, yet.

OTOH, he has the *potential* to be a better QB than Peyton because he has more of a "make it happen on the fly" aspect about him than Peyton. Archie had told the client I mentioned in my immediately preceding post that "Peyton has worked hard since he was a child and made himself into the QB he is today; Eli was born a QB". Now, we all know that sheer talent without work or smarts gets you Ryan Leaf. Eli has the smarts, he's not lazy, but he doesn't have the super professional approach to the game study that Peyton does. I can see him going to a place like SD and floundering. I could see him going to a place like Miami and being a Brett Favre.

Eli is the real deal. If players lived off their last name, Jarret Payton would be a 1st rounder. But he's not because he hasn't produced. Eli has.

Let him sit. Its his money to lose. He's gonna be the first pick in the draft, millions of people dream of that, and he's acting like its a problem. YO, its been this way for years, the first pick always goes to the worst team. why is he so special? The Chargers passed on Mike Vick, Elle (intended) isnt even in the same catagory. Matter of fact, I'm sorry I put them in the same sentence. But really, who cares? Why did I even comment on this thread. Sorry guys.

whiner

This is the one thing i dont like about sports, athletes whining and complaining about not being able to go to what team they want or whining that they're underpaid when they're making millions (Eli didnt do that, but there are a ton of players who do). They do this while millions of us would happily play for next to nothing just for the chance to be NFL players. Kinda makes me sick, ya kno? lol

Back
Top Bottom