Enough of this with Philip Rivers not able to throw the long one!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Enough of this with Philip Rivers not able to throw the long one!!

Can we win a SB

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
here is a link of there clubhouse on espn.
ESPN NC STATE CLUBHOUSE ..

as u can see, the longest pass to the receivers are 80,57,42,45,75,45 and 34. These says enough that he can throw the long balls.

Sorry but all it say is that passes went for that distance.
It doesn't say if they were dunk off's or what...

Originally posted by Can we win a SB
here is a link of there clubhouse on espn.
ESPN NC STATE CLUBHOUSE ..

as u can see, the longest pass to the receivers are 80,57,42,45,75,45 and 34. These says enough that he can throw the long balls.

Man, the guy can throw the ball 80 yrds in the air? YAC, is very important. No?

BB

But are you taking into account that many of those deep passes could happen on screens or short routes, from what I know he is very accurate in short to mid range passes. Don't be fooled by the stats an think he could heave it those distances

That could be true, im trying to find a video highlight of a game of his.. can anyone help me?

Re: Re: Enough of this with Philip Rivers not able to throw the long one!!

Originally posted by bigbry

Man, the guy can throw the ball 80 yrds in the air? YAC, is very important. No?

BB

THAT is what he brings to the table. Look at the old Bradshaw videos. The guy could throw the ball a country mile, but where did he put it? They were ALL high, and never hit the receiver in stride. THe reciever ALWAYS had to slow down, come back, or outjump the defense. I've seen MANY videos of the player in double or triple coverage stooping,a nd out jumping the D for the catch.

Where as Rivers has a lower long ball (not as in low over the line that will get batted down) that doesn't hang in the air. From reports, he's having trobule with accuracy this week. I attribute that to never playing with these WR's. It will take ANY QB time to adjust. He usually puts it in the bread basket IN STRIDE and has proven he can throw it 50+ yards (if you need proof, watch the tangerine bowl) and hit receivers in the bread basket. I'll take that any day over a 70 yard hail mary into 2 defenders.

Thanks for saving me all that typing, Gray....:D

I saw that game and I saw some beautiful deep passes in that game. Only game I saw but, it proved to me that when the stage is grand the guy can turn it up a notch....that, to me, is the quality I'm looking for in ANY player but, getting it from a QB is the ultimate goal.

The long ball is WAY overrated. Anyone who disagrees......can you say, NE Patriots?????

Brady's 80 yd+ pass against the phins in OT game 1...how far was that pass......bet it wasnt over 50 yds in the air....

Originally posted by eckerdguy
But are you taking into account that many of those deep passes could happen on screens or short routes, from what I know he is very accurate in short to mid range passes. Don't be fooled by the stats an think he could heave it those distances

You need to understand the NC state offense. They didn't have a running game this past year with a grain of salt. Those passes HAVE to be deep ones, or there's a good chance that they are. The defense would sit back in blanket coverage, because the run was not respectable (TA was hurt A LOT, i can't remember a full game he played this season).

That is also where this "he doesn't have an arm" rumor started out. With the defense sitting in blanket coverage he was forced to keep the passes short, he had to take what he was given. His going long limitation wasn't from not going long, it was from lack of oppertunities to go long. The receivers had the talent, but there was no respect left to keep the run in check, as it was not needed.

Now, you may think this is more likely to make the long passes come from long YAC's. This is wrong. If a receiver catches a dink and dunk pass in a blanket coverage, the odds are he is going NOWHERE. It's the same with Ricky. If they press the line and he gets past the blitz, there's no DB's to stop the guy (as evident in the miami bill's game 2 seasons ago). But if he breaks the line, in a heavy pass coverage situation, hes more likely to break the line, but a lot less likely to break the secondary. Defenses have been in place to stop the big YAC runs.

Also, in comparison to Losman, his average yards per pass are actually bigger than Losman's. And consider his accuracy, and hitting guys in stride, he puts his receivers in a good position to make yards after the catch. Keep that in mind too.

I'm looking for YAC averages for the receivers. That will be proof you look for I think. I've seen his long ball, but I understand if you've never seen it and are hearing these things.

Originally posted by Dbergan
The long ball is WAY overrated. Anyone who disagrees......can you say, NE Patriots?????

Brady's 80 yd+ pass against the phins in OT game 1...how far was that pass......bet it wasnt over 50 yds in the air....

Brady has a very good deep ball. he always puts the passes on the money, and in stride.

what does Bradshaw and 2004 have to do with each other? maybe back in the day it didn't matter, but it does in this day in age.

Miami's offense is built with the long ball. NT offenses have always.

i like PR a lot, i think he's gonna be great. but all I've heard is his only weakness at the senior bowl practices were his long ball is off.

Originally posted by Dbergan

Yeah but chicks dig the long ball.:D

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

Brady has a very good deep ball. he always puts the passes on the money, and in stride.

what does Bradshaw and 2004 have to do with each other? maybe back in the day it didn't matter, but it does in this day in age.

i like PR a lot, i think he's gonna be great. but all I've heard is his only weakness at the senior bowl practices were his long ball is off.

The point is how they threw the long ball. Rivers has consistently put it on the money at NC state. Where as Bradshaw a "very strong armed QB" had a cannong, but couldn't hit someone in stride to save his life. His long ball was high, went a long way, but didn't allow for any YAC in most cases. The WR was the one who made the real play outjumping the defense.

It's the differnece between a very strong arm and some accuracy, vs. a decently strong arm with a lot of accuracy. Another 10 yards in the air doesn't mean squat if hte receiver get's tackled as soon as he catches the ball. Where as a QB that throws it 10 yards shorter, but hits the receiver in stride behind the defense allowing the receiver to gain extra yards. In our case, we have chambers who's very fast, and the end result would more than likely be 20 yac andpossibly a TD.

Thanks gray good post. but can anyone find me a video highlight of philip rivers game.. ANY?

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

Actually that has always been his weakness.He tends to overthrow his WR on his deep throws(Tom Brady).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that has always been his weakness.He tends to overthrow his WR on his deep throws.

That's fine....that can be tweaked....much better than throwing it too short and getting picked like a cotton field.

Back
Top Bottom