Eric Saubert provides the Miami Dolphins with the best of both worlds at tight end | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eric Saubert provides the Miami Dolphins with the best of both worlds at tight end

IMO Saubert will end up playing the most snaps at TE. He may or may not be called the "starter", but it will be like last year where Gesicki was called the "starter" but Smythe played far more snaps. I see the difference in inline blocking between Saubert and Smythe as significant as the difference between Smythe and Gesicki.

Saubert has greatly improved our run and pass blocking. I said before FA that improving our blocking from the TE position was more important than adding more OL. I think there was a reason Saubert was added so early in FA when many here were clamoring for OL. Running the ball is a big emphasis for the team this offseason. And the blocking breakdowns I saw last season, particularly in the run game were more often from the TEs than the OL.

He won't be a factor unless the dolphins use him other things than blocking, you need a Kittle on the field all of the time, this team needs to convert to a balance of running and passing, that's best course to have a great season and it won't who's the QB is.

He won't be a factor unless the dolphins use him other things than blocking, you need a Kittle on the field all of the time, this team needs to convert to a balance of running and passing, that's best course to have a great season and it won't who's the QB is.
You need a balance of running and passing, but you don't need another Kittle to do that. If you did than almost nobody would have balance.

We really just need our TE to be a reliable 4th to 5th option when running routes and he can definitely be that for us. Being able to do that and improving blocking from the position is enough to help our offense keep on humming.

TE does not need to excel in the passing game. We have so many options at WR and RB that we only need an outlet or quick 5yrd option here and there. Blocking is going to be the most important quality, and I think we definitely got better in that category.

Our off-season moves make pretty clear that last season was not an outlier: we do not intend to target the tight end position as a first, second, or third option.

So long as they can block and be credible receiving options on leak outs, they check the box of what we need out of a TE. We’re clearly not going to task these guys with coming up with any big plays for us.

You need a balance of running and passing, but you don't need another Kittle to do that. If you did than almost nobody would have balance.
To a degree yea, but I don’t agree with the premise that just because you have waddle and hill doesn’t mean you stop trying to find the next kittle, not saying that’s what your saying Raf just that I keep hearing this tone of we can just sleep on the position because their not gonna get the targets anyways

A threat is a threat is all I’ll say and that threat can impact the game in many ways that doesn’t show up on stat sheets

Same lack of threat at that position can also impact the game overall in a negative way as in more coverage aimed at your top two weapons

To a degree yea, but I don’t agree with the premise that just because you have waddle and hill doesn’t mean you stop trying to find the next kittle, not saying that’s what your saying Raf just that I keep hearing this tone of we can just sleep on the position because their not gonna get the targets anyways

A threat is a threat is all I’ll say and that threat can impact the game in many ways that doesn’t show up on stat sheets

Same lack of threat at that position can also impact the game overall in a negative way as in more coverage aimed at your top two weapons
I don’t think we’re opposed to finding a threat there. I just think given the realities of our roster, we have enough playmakers at WR and RB to have an elite, best-in-league type of offense based on plays designed for those WRs and RBs. The TE will never be a first or second read, and so it’s not important that we get a Kittle there. The only way they’re getting the ball is if they’re left wide open or the play breaks down.

If we find a Kittle, we’ll change our approach. But for now, we don’t need to.

Not saying you are wrong with wanting the "next Kittle" (your words), but you do realize he is widely considered top 1-3 in the league, and finding another is very, very unlikey. So unlikely, in fact, that it would be silly to try to build an offense around having one. If one comes along, great. Make advantageous adjustments, but short of investing an unwise amount of assets in an established low value position, not sure what you expect them to do.

Had they drafted a TE, I wouldn't have had an issue with it, but I also don't think there's much chance of getting the "next Kittle" had they taken that route.

He is going to be a role player in that he will be on the field for running plays most of the time, although we may see more twp TE sets with him and Smythe as we wait for Conner and Higgins to develop, although it in unlikely either of them will ever be great blockers.

Back
Top Bottom