Eric Saubert provides the Miami Dolphins with the best of both worlds at tight end | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eric Saubert provides the Miami Dolphins with the best of both worlds at tight end

Not saying you are wrong with wanting the "next Kittle" (your words), but you do realize he is widely considered top 1-3 in the league, and finding another is very, very unlikey. So unlikely, in fact, that it would be silly to try to build an offense around having one. If one comes along, great. Make advantageous adjustments, but short of investing an unwise amount of assets in an established low value position, not sure what you expect them to do.

Had they drafted a TE, I wouldn't have had an issue with it, but I also don't think there's much chance of getting the "next Kittle" had they taken that route.
The point I was trying to make is donā€™t be satisfied just because Hill and Waddle are getting the most reps, because if you throw Joe Schmo out there then more coverage goes to them and that makes their job tougher.

I donā€™t subscribe to the narrative that you dont need a threat there because their not getting many reps anyways

The point I was trying to make is donā€™t be satisfied just because Hill and Waddle are getting the most reps, because if you throw Joe Schmo out there then more coverage goes to them and that makes their job tougher.

I donā€™t subscribe to the narrative that you dont need a threat there because their not getting many reps anyways
I can appreciate what you are saying. There's nothing wrong with wanting impactful players at every position.

However, since the NFL operates on a finite salary cap, it always comes down to asset allocation and positional value within the framework of the scheme.

Given the situation, I can't really complain about the choices we have made this off-season.

To a degree yea, but I donā€™t agree with the premise that just because you have waddle and hill doesnā€™t mean you stop trying to find the next kittle, not saying thatā€™s what your saying Raf just that I keep hearing this tone of we can just sleep on the position because their not gonna get the targets anyways

A threat is a threat is all Iā€™ll say and that threat can impact the game in many ways that doesnā€™t show up on stat sheets

Same lack of threat at that position can also impact the game overall in a negative way as in more coverage aimed at your top two weapons
If you have the opportunity to add a great player (that fits your system), you add him. (That's why I believe Cook is in play.) If the team thinks Higgins is potentially special, then take the risk. But the idea that having an all-pro dual threat TE is a need, is wrong. We can obviously have a balanced attack even if we don't find another Kittle level TE.

If you have the opportunity to add a great player (that fits your system), you add him. (That's why I believe Cook is in play.) If the team thinks Higgins is potentially special, then take the risk. But the idea that having an all-pro dual threat TE is a need, is wrong. We can obviously have a balanced attack even if we don't find another Kittle level TE.
Didnā€™t say it was a need, I said I donā€™t underestimate a threat at the position and what it could do.

But yeah that works for running back as well..

Last year we had two threats on offense,

If you get a third the offense would open up even more

Right now as is, we have not added that third threat.

Now I do like and project Berrios to be more of a player that needs looking after underneath..

I do think Tanner Connor, EZE and Higgins have a shot of being that third.

I can appreciate what you are saying. There's nothing wrong with wanting impactful players at every position.

However, since the NFL operates on a finite salary cap, it always comes down to asset allocation and positional value within the framework of the scheme.

Given the situation, I can't really complain about the choices we have made this off-season.
I get all that Mach..like I said, once you find a true third threat itā€™s over for defenses

Threat imo equals the attention of more than one player

Didnā€™t say it was a need, I said I donā€™t underestimate a threat at the position and what it could do.

But yeah that works for running back as well..

Last year we had two threats on offense,

If you get a third the offense would open up even more

Right now as is, we have not added that third threat.

Now I do like and project Berrios to be more of a player that needs looking after underneath..

I do think Tanner Connor, EZE and Higgins have a shot of being that third.
I expect we'll see a ton more targets to the backs this coming season. Achane may be that third threat.

It is like saying a HOF franchise QB is a need, how many are there at any given time, 2 or 3?

We would all love to plug George Kittle into the Fins Offense, but there is only one George Kittle and he plays for the 9ers.

What Miami "needs" is a strong run blocking TE who is good enough in the passing game to take advantage of teams trying to cover Hill and Waddle.

I expect we'll see a ton more targets to the backs this coming season. Achane may be that third threat.
Also the reason you never stop wanting that third threat is because if waddle or hill go down youā€™re offense goes from tough to defend to easy to defend

He won't be a factor unless the dolphins use him other things than blocking, you need a Kittle on the field all of the time, this team needs to convert to a balance of running and passing, that's best course to have a great season and it won't who's the QB is.
Not many Kittle's (or bits), but a Bruce Hardy would be more than enough. Just about 10 yards/catch in twelve years, but this quote says it all, "He played for 12 years with the Dolphins and still owns some of the team's all-time tight-end receiving records. But what Hardy was noted for was his ability to carry out his blocking assignments."

That 3rd threat will very rarely be be a complete player, and that's ok. Giving more space to Waddle and Hill can be done in alot of ways, many of which doesn't include an all-pro TE. There is so much speed on this offense that opposing defenses are already concerned with defending every depth of the field, adding yet another dangerous receiving option wouldn't change how they defend you all that much, although you would get better results on average.

Now a Good blocking TE does change the way they have to defend you, especially when you have 4.3 speed at running back. This puts them in much more of a conflict a will put more people in the box as opposed to in coverage, which ultimately creates space for every receiving option on any given play. The beauty of it is, 4.3 speed at running back doesnt even need to be all that good, it just needs to be there to get the attention.

Of course if available, you'd like your TE to be great at everything, but that pretty much goes for every position on your team, at some point, when you get outside of the top 10-15 players on your team, you're not dealing with complete players and you have to decide which traits are needed at different spots to complement the great players you have. When you have arguably the best WR duo in the NFL and blocking is your only glaring weakness on the team, it makes alot of sense to me that the trait they'll value the most at TE is blocking capability.

Back
Top Bottom