ESPN Reports Seahawks and Giants to Jump in Henson Race | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN Reports Seahawks and Giants to Jump in Henson Race

Originally posted by Boomer
After using a 1st on Matt Hasslebeck 2 years ago, I would eat my hat if they traded for Henson.

They didn't trade a 1st for Hasselbeck. The trade was Green Bay's 1st pick (17), 7th round pick, and Matt Hasselbeck for
Seattle's 1st pick(10), and 7th round pick.

Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick in 1998.

I dunno man I think Green Bay may be the front runner right now and that sucks. They've done better recently in the playoffs (as in, GETTING TO the playoffs), they are close to where Henson played his college ball, and I'm sure the prospect of learning under Brett Favre is attractive to him...even just playing WITH Brett Favre has to be attractive for him. Another thing is that with Green Bay, you know exactly what you're dealing with. When Favre retires, Henson takes over. Its like what Griese had in Denver. He knew that when Elway retires, he takes over. Favre meanwhile publically contemplates retirement every year nowadays and he'll probably play one more season just to see if he can win it all again then be done with it. Then Henson takes over because the Pack doesn't have anyone else.

With us, the timing is a bit off. We're in a QB bind NOW. We need one right now, and Henson's gotta know there's no way in heck we are about to let him go and have a crack at it his first year back from baseball. So then its all about what Miami does to take care of their starting QB situation. If they decide to let Fiedler hold down the job until our future guy is ready, I suppose Miami would be almost as attractive as Green Bay because he would know that the area fans are DYING to see Fiedler get off the field and would love whoever comes in to replace him. But I doubt we keep Fiedler. Soooo....if we give the job to Sage Rosenfels (my personal choice) that presents a problem for Henson because Sage is also pretty young (I wouldn't doubt it if he and Sage were of an age actually), and what if Sage does well? That could delay Henson's coming out party and cloud things up significantly. Then there's a Mark Brunell, who told reporter(s) something to the extent of him not wanting to play on a team with a future franchise QB (first rounder) because he thinks he's got 3 or 4 good playing years left in him and he doesn't want to be forced out. That, obviously is nowhere near as attractive as playing under a Brett Favre who will gracefully bow out within a year or two. By all indications Brunell is gonna go kicking and screaming. A lot of the other QB options out there for Miami don't make things any simpler. The only guy Miami could sign and have Henson know for sure that he'll have the opportunity to play within a year or two, is probably Rich Gannon.

That or Rodney Peete. Hehe

Thats splitting hairs tylaw, because the trade for Hasselback was a first round equivalent. Miami offered our first rounder straightup for Hasselback and thought we had him, but then the Packers agreed with the Seahawks' offer instead.

BTW the reason it sucks that Green Bay is the front runner is because they pick after us in the draft. At least if Henson went to Pittsburgh or Buffalo, we would be assured that one of those two will NOT draft Rivers (I would prefer it be Pitt since I'm not convinced Buffalo would draft Rivers at #13). If its Green Bay that gets him (and with the #26 pick in the draft being so low it wouldn't surprise me if they straightup just gave their first round pick for him) then Pitt and Buffalo might still take Rivers, and then we're screwed out of BOTH guys.

God I don't know WHAT we'd do then because I'm now of the opinion that we should not draft Losman in the first round no matter what. 2nd or 3rd round maybe.

Hutchinson was being considered for the first pick in the draft as well.

Henson never had to contend with Carr who was the highest rated QB to come out since Bledsoe (even higher rated than Manning)

Hutchinson and Henson are the epitome of a good comparison, CK doesn't like to hear it though.

Hutchinson was being considered for the first pick in the draft as well

Alright, I'm sorry but thats just a blatant untruth. He was never considered for the #1 pick in the draft. He was considered as a POSSIBLE first rounder, or second rounder.

You are wrong CK, I have an old Sporting News edition that lists him as a possible number one pick as well.

Exactly like Henson, alot of talent, short on experience and I quote, "If Hutchinson continues to develop and show the improvement of this past season he could up going number one overall. He has that kind of talent."

Exact same thing. Will they have the same careers? Probably not, I'm a huge Cards fan and they say the reason he failed at pitching was not physical, it was between his ears. You've certainly got to have it all together mentally to be a good QB in this league.

Back
Top Bottom