ESPN: Ryan Tannehill Excelling in Play-Action | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN: Ryan Tannehill Excelling in Play-Action

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/print?id=52995
ESPN.com: AFC East
Saturday, December 29, 2012
Ryan Tannehill excelling in play-action

By James Walker

miagif-1.jpg
If you give Ryan Tannehill an effective running game, he will carve up opposing defenses with his arm. That is one of the biggest lessons the Miami Dolphins should take from Tannehill's solid rookie season.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Tannehill has completed 67.1 percent of his passes off play-action this season. That is the highest completion percentage in the AFC East, which includes Pro Bowl quarterback Tom Brady.

Tannehill also has six touchdowns off play-action passes compared to just one interception. His QBR is an impressive 90.2, and Tannehill averages 10.33 yards per attempt.

Miami's running game has picked up down the stretch, which is why it's no surprise the same can be said for Tannehill's numbers. The 2012 first-round pick is a good athlete who can make all the throws. Tannehill is simply lacking experience and a better supporting cast.

The Dolphins have plenty of cap room and draft picks to fix their problems. The biggest issue for Miami should be to make sure Tannehill gets all the support he needs next year to be successful.

Discuss...

This is no surprise. PA is more important than people think. Good stats.

His fakes are some of the best I have ever seen. Just go look back at his play action touchdown against ARZ. That fake was dirty!

Watch Mooch give tips on play-action was hilarious

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000068146/QB-Tannehill-to-WR-Hartline-80-yd-pass-TD[/video]

No kidding. It's maddening on early downs when we line up in the shotgun. Such a waste. Likewise when we drop straight back on an early down. Instead of us dictating to them and creating angles out of nowhere, it's either a stalemate or the defense with the upper hand.

Among all of Tannehill's traits, play action has surprised me the most. He extends the ball nicely and has excellent timing. Dips his shoulder just the proper amount before bouncing to fire. If anything, it will only improve.

I've got to laugh at fans who don't want to run the ball, and merely use running backs for dump off passes or the ever obsessed screen pass. You're basically volunteering to neuter play action when rushing attempts are low. Aaron Schatz at Football Outsiders has no clue in that regard himself.

Another thing about our play action, and particularly the read option plays: Reggie Bush really carries out the fake to the fullest, taking defenders with him.

i like him with the play action because he has the speed to bootleg. i know it is sacreligios to criticize marino here, and i think he's the greatest passer of all time. i hated when they had him play action, it seemed like it was always a stretch playaction and the ball was never within 2 foot of the rb... but marino really didnt actually need to have anything to help utilize his talents. pa rollout is great for tanne

pa's fine but you need better wrs when on early downs you line up in 2 wr sets with bess and hartline on each side and your only 2 wrs running routes...we need to upgrade the big play ability with the wr core in base 2 wr sets i form and then bang people off pa out of them...get a go up and get it physical mismatch and some more speed on the field...

right now in that formation with those 2 wrs on the field we are bringing a knife to a gun fight...tannehill will make even more plays off pa when we upgrade the wrs he's working with off of it

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000068146/QB-Tannehill-to-WR-Hartline-80-yd-pass-TD[/video]

love that play... too bad the radio announcers for the fins are pretty bad... I miss Maddog

ps. was that Koa Misi chasing Hartline down the sideline ... lol!

If you sit there in the shotgun, that's when you magnify the weakness of the receivers. Every year certain teams have pathetic receivers. I love the notion that this is a problem unique to the 2012 Dolphins. You work around it with legit emphasis on a physical running game, and creative formations flowing from that running game. Years ago teams used to shift the I formation tailback into the wingback position just before the ball was snapped. The defense was flopping around and didn't know what to do. We could be lethal in that regard with Reggie Bush, just like the late '80s Canes used Cleveland Gary in that mode. He was a terrific receiver.

But the NFL has transformed into a lazy sloppy league in regard to the shotgun, largely due to the rules changes and application of them. Last season New England passed the ball more than 85% of the time when Brady lined up in the shotgun. College teams do a much better job of mixing it up out of the shotgun. The teams with premier quarterbacks can generally get away with anything these days in the NFL, and that prompts the teams with weak or mediocre quarterbacks to ignorantly pretend they can get away with it also. I was in hysterics at the Buffalo game last week when the Bills insisted on using 4 or 5 wide receivers all game, with the great Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. Too bad Bill Walsh died relatively early. During his years as an NBC commentator he ranted against the abuse of 4 (or even 3) wide receiver sets, emphasizing how limiting it was compared to a well designed base pro set.

that's true but you can't run the ball against stacked fronts or check that you won't be running the ball against anything but stack fronts if you have your only 2 wrs on the field in i form the caliber of bess and hartline...they don't scare anyone...strong safeties are 3 yards off the los til the cows come home against those 2 wr i form sets...

teams have been playing us to stop the run man up the wrs on the outside and have one safety in the middle of the field against those looks with the strong safety to the strong side of the formation just off the ball and eating our lunch all season in the running game...

not gonna change til we upgrade the wr personnel in those sets...

If you sit there in the shotgun, that's when you magnify the weakness of the receivers. Every year certain teams have pathetic receivers.
I love the notion that this is a problem unique to the 2012 Dolphins. You work around it with legit emphasis on a physical running game, and creative formations flowing from that running game.
Years ago teams used to shift the I formation tailback into the wingback position just before the ball was snapped. The defense was flopping around and didn't know what to do. We could be lethal in that regard with Reggie Bush, just like the late '80s Canes used Cleveland Gary in that mode. He was a terrific receiver.

But the NFL has transformed into a lazy sloppy league in regard to the shotgun, largely due to the rules changes and application of them. Last season New England passed the ball more than 85% of the time when Brady lined up in the shotgun. College teams do a much better job of mixing it up out of the shotgun. The teams with premier quarterbacks can generally get away with anything these days in the NFL, and that prompts the teams with weak or mediocre quarterbacks to ignorantly pretend they can get away with it also. I was in hysterics at the Buffalo game last week when the Bills insisted on using 4 or 5 wide receivers all game, with the great Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. Too bad Bill Walsh died relatively early. During his years as an NBC commentator he ranted against the abuse of 4 (or even 3) wide receiver sets, emphasizing how limiting it was compared to a well designed base pro set.

Well said! And it's probably why when we are more positive in the run to pass ratio we are 6-1 and when we are positive in the pass to run ratio we are 1-7, and when Tannehill has a passer rating of 90 or greater we are 6-1. Meaning the running game is working and we are able to set-up the play action. Football 101..

Back
Top Bottom