ESPN The Magazine - Wally | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN The Magazine - Wally

phinphanbill

Practice Squad
Reaction score
ESPN The Magazine is suggesting that Houston and Minnesota will show interest in Wally when free agency opens up. I don't have a link, I saw in on the shelf. It was the January 19th issue.

Houston has the #10 overall pick and Minnesota the 19th. Obviously the Houston pick would be nicer, but both selections could make this an eventful draft for Fin Fans.

Minnesota has shown a penchance for taking our DEs in the past (Mixon and Bromell) and may be picking our pockets again soon.

ALSO
Talk on the Philly radio stations is that they will be making a run at Darrell Jackson in free agency to solve their WR issues, as well as, pursuing defensive ends in the draft and free agency as their second most urgent need. They are about $20 million under the cap, so they could be players in the Wally sweepstakes, too. Unfortunately, they have the 29th or 30th pick in the draft.

TO has interest in the eagles, and u can count them all but out of the race for wally if TO signs with them...

Hey TerryTate, cool pic but you have the uniforms wrong. New England is the home team this year and will be wearing navy (unless they pull out those oyster-shell silver things).

If we can get the texans pick then thatd be very good. we would have a much easier time making a deal for say, Eli. We would also be able to address 2 of our 3 major needs in the 1st round with almost guarenteed future franchise players, such as Rivers + Clayton. Then we could address the line in the rest of the rounds. I still think we DEFINATELY need to address the #2 WR if that is ignored...even if we get a new QB and hes great our only threat is chambers and defenses double team him. McMichael is great too but we need that WR.

Originally posted by TerryTate
TO has interest in the eagles, and u can count them all but out of the race for wally if TO signs with them...

Eagles are so far under the cap. they could sign TO and AO, and still be well under.

i would be nice if Houston takes Ogun (their 2 DE combined had 2 sacks).

with the 10th pick, maybe Miami could work it's way up into the #1 or #3 spot and take a QB (11 IMO is to high for rivers).

I wonder if Miami gives AZI/SD the 10th, and 20th pick, if they could get a #2 in return, or a #3 (the 10th pick is pretty high).

If we get the 10th pick, do we believe these new reports of Pittsburgh and Buffalo being interested in Rivers, and use the 10th pick on him, or do we let him fall to pick #20 and grab ourselves a true top ten talent. Rivers is not a top ten talent sorry, the question marks are too big and keep in mind I LIKE the guy a lot. It would be nice to use the pick on a real top ten talent at like WR.

It would also be nice to draft Ogun's replacement guys. Most people here just take him for granted but you have no idea how nice it is to have a 2nd passrush presence. We lacked that the year after Trace left for Oakland, and it HURT us....pretty BAD too. Just cuz we managed to find a stud in Ogunleye within a few years doesn't mean its gonna happen everytime. You know most late round guys you keep around at DE end up doing nothing, they don't end up becoming pro bowlers, even WITH the benefit of JT on the other side.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
If we get the 10th pick, do we believe these new reports of Pittsburgh and Buffalo being interested in Rivers, and use the 10th pick on him, or do we let him fall to pick #20 and grab ourselves a true top ten talent. Rivers is not a top ten talent sorry, the question marks are too big and keep in mind I LIKE the guy a lot. It would be nice to use the pick on a real top ten talent at like WR.

It would also be nice to draft Ogun's replacement guys. Most people here just take him for granted but you have no idea how nice it is to have a 2nd passrush presence. We lacked that the year after Trace left for Oakland, and it HURT us....pretty BAD too. Just cuz we managed to find a stud in Ogunleye within a few years doesn't mean its gonna happen everytime. You know most late round guys you keep around at DE end up doing nothing, they don't end up becoming pro bowlers, even WITH the benefit of JT on the other side.

i couldn't agree more. but the problem is miami has a bunch of overpriced people on D. it's gonna hurt miami to cut them in the short term, and Ogun is a longterm thing. i wish there was a way to keep him.

Draft picks are the answer to stocking needs on an overpriced D because young guys are cheaper. Spend the #10 pick on say, Tommie Harris and toss him in at LDE, he won't be makin all that much money. Harris I believe would give us virtually no dropoff from Ogunleye, might even be an overall gain.

If we get the 10th pick, it would be very hard to know who drops to that spot.. One of the elite players would drop just like Suggs dropped to Baltimore last year and Leftwich went #9 to Jacksonville..

Sean Taylor would be an automatic pick if he were to drop, as well as Roy Williams or Reggie Williams..

The problem with this Miami defense is that it is too plain and requires way too many high talented players in order to be dominant.. Losing Ogunleye would hurt without a doubt but the fact of the matter is that Miami cannot afford another high salary to the defensive side.. Just think of it as Miami getting a 1st and 3rd for an undrafted free agent.. Say Miami were to struggle in pass rushing because of Ogunleyes departure, would that be Miami's fault for not keeping him or the defensive coordinator fault for not being able to put pressure with the talent around?? I personally feel that it is pitiful that 1 or 2 injuries to this defense turns this squad from good to average and I point i t directly to the defensive coordinator..

Draft picks are the answer to stocking needs on an overpriced D because young guys are cheaper. Spend the #10 pick on say, Tommie Harris and toss him in at LDE, he won't be makin all that much money. Harris I believe would give us virtually no dropoff from Ogunleye, might even be an overall gain.

Harris could very well drop as well as Will Smith.. This forum would be fuming if Miami would be taking a defensive player at #10..

Unless of course his name was Sean Taylor

what question marks?:lol:

Sean Taylor would be awesome but that guy is the best defensive player in the draft he's a clear top 5 pick to me.

You lose an Ogun, you gotta replace him. Thats the bottom line. I understand your feelings rude, but while you take refuge in knowing that our D-Coord is not that great, we're still losing games. If getting a Tommy Harris to play LDE means that not happening, I'm willing to do it.

I could see Roy Williams dropping believe it or not. Not sure about Reggie Williams though.

His armstrength and release. Those prevent him from being a top prospect no matter what success he's had in college because he could have all the talent in the world and if those things aren't sufficient in the NFL, he's not gonna make it on a consistent basis.

Back
Top Bottom