ESPN The Magazine - Wally | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN The Magazine - Wally

Originally posted by DolphinzD
Hey TerryTate, cool pic but you have the uniforms wrong. New England is the home team this year and will be wearing navy (unless they pull out those oyster-shell silver things).
and Brady should be on his back popping off his helmet to draw a penalty:tongue:

I say draft who we want and don't bother with "if he's a top ten talent"
Draft Rivers with whatever higher pick we have.
Draft a WR (Jenkins) with the second.

Originally posted by everardteach
I say draft who we want and don't bother with "if he's a top ten talent"
Draft Rivers with whatever higher pick we have.
Draft a WR (Jenkins) with the second.

if you do that, then you're not getting value for your pick.

lets say GB wants a QB. the top 4 have been drafted, and they feel Schaub (SP?) for example will be gone when they pick.

so do they spend a 1st rounder on him simply because they want a QB? It's like the Drew Brees situation in 2001. Everyone wanted him, but he wasn't worth the 21st pick in the draft (not saying Jamar Fletcher was the right pick).

If Houston wants a guy like Ogun, they might trade their first pick (10) down to somebody lower, say the Ravens at 21 for that pick and perhaps an additional third, then they give up their new first rounder and their original third rounder as compensation, but get some more value, the additional 3rd round pick, as well... I don't think NFL has rules prohibiting this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Fisticuff

if you do that, then you're not getting value for your pick.

lets say GB wants a QB. the top 4 have been drafted, and they feel Schaub (SP?) for example will be gone when they pick.

so do they spend a 1st rounder on him simply because they want a QB? It's like the Drew Brees situation in 2001. Everyone wanted him, but he wasn't worth the 21st pick in the draft (not saying Jamar Fletcher was the right pick).

I totally agree about not picking talent at any time on the draft board, (Eddie Moore by the way I had pegged for the Phins to pick in the 5th round) but if Miami Dolphins convenant Rivers like I think they do then draft the QB with their first pick. *This is only if another team trades down (SD) or Miami gets wind some how that a team is trying to bump the Phins in order to get Rivers.* I wouldn't mind drafting Rivers with the first pick b/c I truly believe he is a top 15 pick.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Draft picks are the answer to stocking needs on an overpriced D because young guys are cheaper. Spend the #10 pick on say, Tommie Harris and toss him in at LDE, he won't be makin all that much money. Harris I believe would give us virtually no dropoff from Ogunleye, might even be an overall gain.

If you get the extra picks you DO NOT for any reason draft Defense!

This team has drafted defense too damn long.
We take the opportunity of having 2 first rounders, if that in fact happens, to draft the future QB and to pick an impact player on offense that can help immediately. WR or OL.

As for trading up.... no way.

Trade down if anything. If you trade the 2 first round pics to get 1 we just defeated the whole purpose of having 2 first rounders IMO! Trade down to a later 1st round pick and pick up a 2nd rounder or extra 3rd while not having to pay such a steep contract on a top 10 pick.

I agree,

If we got the number 10 pick (dreaming) then I'd try and trade down (but still stay above our original 20). This would ensure we could still get Rivers, give us another pick in the 2nd and/or 3rd and make the O-Gun loss a bit less painful. We could then pick a replacement for O-Gun in later rounds.

But, getting the 10th and then finding someone who wants to take it from us and give us a first higher then our original 20 pick is REALLY dreaming....

I don't think Houston is going to chase after Ogunleye because the prototypical size for a DE in the 3-4 is 280lbs, Adewale is 260 & isn't a gap player.

As for what to do if this miracle happened & we got the 10th overall pick: Ben, Eli, Gallery, Fitz, Taylor, Andrews, trade down in that order

Originally posted by SMadison29
I don't think Houston is going to chase after Ogunleye because the prototypical size for a DE in the 3-4 is 280lbs, Adewale is 260 & isn't a gap player.

As for what to do if this miracle happened & we got the 10th overall pick: Ben, Eli, Gallery, Fitz, Taylor, Andrews, trade down in that order

I wouldnt trade down if Roy Williams or Reggie Williams were on the board..

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

I wouldnt trade down if Roy Williams or Reggie Williams were on the board..

The only reason I would trade down even if those two were still on the board is because this draft is loaded with WR talent. Are they that much better than Clayton, Jenkins, Woods, or Evans? I don't think so. We need to accumulate some picks for a FS, LB, CB, DT, & DE later in the draft to start on our youth movement on D. But I wouldn't argue if we did take either Williams at 10 though.

If we had 2 1st rounders in the top 20 I'd ****. We have been lucky to have ONE first rounder, let alone 2 in the top 20. I can definitely see Reggie Williams falling ala Randy Moss. Sean Taylor would be nice but I cannot see him getting past Butch Davis and the Browns.

I agree about the WR--I don't think a WR is worth a top 10 pick this year due to the large number of solid choices. I hate to say it, but Will Smith/Kenechi Udeze are solid #10 picks. Both should be excellent pros.

Originally posted by ajdoggie

Eagles are so far under the cap. they could sign TO and AO, and still be well under.

I'd be surprised if they signed One of the two. It's not about How much they have it's How much they are willing to part with. They are Notoriusly cheap. That added with the fact that the Owner and Coach think they are Much Smarter that everyone else in the league. But the only ones they seem to outsmart is themselves.

Back
Top Bottom