Europe Players... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Europe Players...

TeeMoney

Kid A
Club Member
Reaction score
I just gotta quick question/observation...

I know it is the slow season, and most of us are trying to get our heads around who will be the 52 Dolphins (plus a few PSquadies). Many people are hyped on the European players (Newson, Baker, Williams). Do you guys really think they will make any contribution for the team other than camp fodder/Practice squad.

I'm interested in seeing how Newson and Williams will do in training camp. Baker has been all-over-the-place... and with this group of WR's (not great but certainly above NFL Europe) do Newson and Baker really stand a chance?

I think Newson has the edge because of WR/KR/PR. Baker was horrible last year in his attempt at PR. I rekon he ain't too bright.

T-$

I think it's going to be very difficult for any of these guys. I only think we're going to keep 5 or 6 receivers. With Chambers, Thompson, McKnight, and Rogers virtual locks it only leaves one or two positions open. Tolver also looked good in mini-camp, and will challenge. So I say it's between Tolver, Baker, Simmons, and Newsome for that last spot. That's if we don't resign O.G. It's also going to be difficult at DE because we already have 5 guys that are solid. The only way Williams makes the team is if he beats out Jay Williams or Rob Burnett.

Originally posted by finsfan4life
With Chambers, Thompson, McKnight, and Rogers virtual locks...

Rogers only contribution to the team will be through PR/KR duties. He has had a couple of poor/average years after starting strong. I'm not sure he is a virtual lock (even though the FO signed him and has high hopes for his potential). If Newson shows that he can PR/KR as well as Rogers, I think Rogers will be cut.

T$

I truely think this bods well for are team Mates. They are playing this hard becuse they know its gona be so hard to get spot on this years team. This is a good sign........just think... Williams has only played two full games. Long live the Dolphins

Guys, I cant stress enough to tell you that NFLE players are lucky if they make our roster.....Unless they can make an impact on special teams I just dont see any room on the roster for players overseas......Just cuz youre one of the best scrubs out there doesnt mean youre gonna be succesfull in the NFL....Dont get me wrong I wish those guys the very best and hope they surprise all of us by making our team, but if they were that good to begin with they wouldnt be overseas in the first place....

Last edited by a moderator:
Im well aware of how little of a chance any of these guys have makeing the team. Im just saying we have 4 of the best players in europe this year. And I belive it has something to do with the talent of are non-europe players. Last year it was Scott Shields and not much else.

Originally posted by Predaphin34
Guys, I cant stress enough to tell you that NFLE players are lucky if they make our roster.....Unless they can make an impact on special teams I just dont see any room on the roster for players overseas......

I believe all the responses here agree with you, but thanks for stating the obvious, again.

BTW, there have been plenty of NFLE, CFL players that have contributed to teams in the NFL... So this discussion isn't out of the question.

T$

NFL Europe was designed to be the Farm League for the NFL. Aside from the marketing benefit (I know huge aside there) NFLE is supposed to produce players for the NFL. I think it's reasonable that the stars of NFLE can play in the NFL...

Don't forget, we got OG, a 5 year starter, from the Arena league. That's like circus ball...

I think that among Newsome, Baker, Simmons, Bellamy, Frye(?) (I blanking on his name, but it starts with an F) . 1 guy makes the team and I think Newsome has the best chance.

Id say between Newsome, Baker, Williams,Symonette , My spelling suks, but i think thats clear by now.:goof:

I hope Newson and Symonette make the team. Symonette because we need more LBs.

Baker is certainly doing everything he can to show he belongs in the NFL...it may not be with the Phins

Robert Baker Scores Two Touchdowns To Lead Galaxy To 47-13 Win Baker is #2 in yards w/408 and a lovely 17.7 YPC Newson has a 19.9 YPC :eek:

most importantly for Baker, are his PR #s: 14 /193 13.8 avg and a 91 yard TD

Newson on KRs has 10/318 31.8 avg a 94td

L.Williams 7 sacks lead the league

Stemke has been less than super w/a 38.6 yard avg

http://www.nfleurope.com/stats/2003/2003league_leaders.html

vote the all-NFLE team here: http://www.nfleurope.com/all-nfleurope/2003/off_ballot.htm

Originally posted by TeeMoney

Rogers only contribution to the team will be through PR/KR duties. He has had a couple of poor/average years after starting strong. I'm not sure he is a virtual lock (even though the FO signed him and has high hopes for his potential). If Newson shows that he can PR/KR as well as Rogers, I think Rogers will be cut.

T$

According to Rogers, he didn't fit into Buffalo's wedge scheme. He also mentioned that we run the same kind of system that he did so well with in Seattle. Remember, he was never a FA until this year. So he never got a say in where he went after Seattle.

The thing that gives Rogers the edge over Newsome, all things being equal, is that he's actually proven himself in the NFL. He's led the league in punt returning. And he took one kickoff to the house against us in the playoffs.

we had curtis alexander last year, who led the nfle in yards rushing and total yards.. he didnt make the team...

nfle guys are nobodies.. who get their bodies beat up all offseason, then burn out come training camp.

i have stopped getting my hopes up for them.

Back
Top Bottom