Europe Players... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Europe Players...

I tend to think NFL Europe success can depend a lot on the position. I dont think its proven to mean much when a RB has success in NFL Eu. I dont know about WRs but when a QB has success in NFL Eu it can mean things cuz like Kurt Warner, Tommy Maddox and I think our own Jay Fiedler were all guys who went to NFL Eu and had success then ended up being pretty good NFL quarterbacks. The thing thats buggin me about WRs in NFL Europe right now is the fact that Matt Hatchette is leadin the league so it might mean Newson and Baker's success over there can be taken with a grain of salt. But return success over there should mean a good deal.

Originally posted by Predaphin34
Guys, I cant stress enough to tell you that NFLE players are lucky if they make our roster.....Unless they can make an impact on special teams I just dont see any room on the roster for players overseas......Just cuz youre one of the best scrubs out there doesnt mean youre gonna be succesfull in the NFL....Dont get me wrong I wish those guys the very best and hope they surprise all of us by making our team, but if they were that good to begin with they wouldnt be overseas in the first place....

I disagree with this. What NFLE does is provide players with some talent the opportunity to play and improve. What some guys need is PT. Baker was not that great as a PR in preseason last year, but that was b/c of a lack of experience. NFLE gives him some experience And, some confidence. Sometimes that's all it takes to make the next step. He looked out of place as a PR last year. But, nothing can replace lots of experience. He's getting that.

Sure, it's not the NFL, but lots of guys have made it who performed well over there. There are tons of guys who don't start for a couple of years out of college and then get a break. I wouldn't say these are starting calibre, right now, but either of the two WR's over there can make it on the team and contribute. The fact is, they will compete against Rogers and the KR's. With limited roster space, Rogers has to be a guy who dominates the KR/PR duties - otherwise, it's better to have a guy who can play both WR and be a KR - Rogers hasn't done anything as WR in his career.

Saying an NFLE guy won't make it is as inaccurate as saying a small college guy won't make it. The thing is you can't just look at stats and say "player A led NFLE in rushing so he'll probably be a star RB in the NFL". You have to evaluate a players individual skills. The only player I have touted is Newsome. I did so b/c I watched him play and evaluated how he played against man schemes, zone schemes, how he handled the jam, body positioning, hands, etc. His skills are good enough that he will become an NFL wr. He has the potential to at least develop into a good #2 wr. Will he get there? How long will that take? I don't know, it depends mostly on him, but the talent is there.

Success in the NFLE may not prove anything, but if our guys went over there and were complete failures it would definately mean something. So look at it as another test that they are passing. Just another reason to be optimistic about our team...

Marc Lillebridge was all NFLE at MLB years back and couldn't make the practice squad. Scott Shields was all NFLE last year at SS and didn't even get a look at the position in camp.

I like Andrews, Symonette, Baker, Newson, Williams and Irvin as much as the next person but they are all long shots to make our roster.

At least we sent over a better quailty of guy this year though, they have been fun to watch. I can't remember a time when the Phins have had 6 high level starters in NFLE, can anyone else?

I've been trying to watch NFLE games, but haven't found any on my cable - is it being shown on a network? Thanks.

I've only seen two network games on saturdays. All others i catch on repeat late night on the fox sport channels. You mite have one local channel in your area on cable, good luck.

I think everyone can agree that this is just a situation that is going to have to fall under the category of "wait and see." Everyone wants these players to succeed, but we will have to measure their success against the big boys before we pass judgement on them. Let them compete and may the best men prevail, if these guys are the real deal, then they will prove it.

A couple of factors to keep in mind however. These NFLE players are coming off of a season and right into another one with virtually no rest. This could be good or this could be bad. It is good if these guys come in already cut up in shape and run circles around some of the draft picks or younger guys who they are competing against ( in the case of Williams, it will be against the older vets of Burnett and J. Williams in which he will have to run rampant on). It can also be bad if these guys come in burnt out and out of steam and/or fighting injuries. These are variables that they have to deal with that the "normal" players really don't have to. So just remember to take their success overseas with a grain of salt and try to be patient and see how these guys pan out in the preseason.

Back
Top Bottom