Even more proof we need a stud at QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Even more proof we need a stud at QB

Originally posted by DeDolfan

True and that's why, iMO, we should draft a QB with our 1st pick and then work on OL and WR the rest of the draft and FA.
do you want a rookie 20th overall pick to start for us in 2004 ?

Originally posted by dolphan39
do you want a rookie 20th overall pick to start for us in 2004 ?

Uh, no......that's why I've said in several other threads that we need a future QB and the draft is the way to go. If Wanny wasn't so bull headed with Fiedler, this issue could've been resolved long ago. As it is, we're still in the same boat QB-wise and as I said elsewhere, IMO, what we need to do is draft a QB with our first pick, re-sign Sage and sign a vet QB and let the rook develope. But my point is that this QB problem ain't ever going away til we get a youngster in here to learn and this years class is good enough for us to hopefully get one. Hell, we didn't get marino until the 27th pick that yr.

We need to sign Brunnel and draft Rivers and have Sage be the #2 until Rivers becomes acclimated w/ the system and matures.

2 yr deal for Brunnel, after 2 yrs trade Sage so that he can gat a shot to start somewhere.

Originally posted by T-Bone
We need to sign Brunnel and draft Rivers and have Sage be the #2 until Rivers becomes acclimated w/ the system and matures.

2 yr deal for Brunnel, after 2 yrs trade Sage so that he can gat a shot to start somewhere.

I would not be unhappy with this exact scenario, as long as Sage gets a shot to battle Brunnell for the starters role. Best man wins.
Either way, Dolphins win, IMO.

Yea....it's bullsh*t what Wanny always says that a contender can't afford to draft a rookie QB high in the draft......If Don Shula would have had that philosophy then we would not have drafted Marino after losing the Super Bowl to the Redskins the prior season.

It's time to invest a high draft pick on the most important position on a football team - QB.

Hopefully it will be our 1st pick and we take Philip Rivers.

Originally posted by inFINSible

I would not be unhappy with this exact scenario, as long as Sage gets a shot to battle Brunnell for the starters role. Best man wins.
Either way, Dolphins win, IMO.

I agree but I don't think Sage is ready yet, but if he does the job and works out then maybe we will have another qb contraversy but this time the qb's will be quality.

Originally posted by T-Bone

I agree but I don't think Sage is ready yet, but if he does the job and works out then maybe we will have another qb contraversy but this time the qb's will be quality.

After 3(4?) full years in the NFL, if Sage isn't ready, the chances are that he never will be, IMO.

Draft a QB this year!!!!! We have not drafted one in 20 yrs in the first round!!!! 20th pick??? So What. look how many great QB's came out after the 20th pick: Marino, Montana, Favre, Brady, etc.......We can get a good, maybe even a great QB with the 20th Pick. out of the 20 teams that pick in front of us, 9 won't draft a QB def.(Jets, Clev, Hous, Cincy, Jax, Atl, NO, Minn, Chi.) Another Another 5 would have a hard time doing it.(Giants, Bills, Skins, SF, TB.) that leaves 5 teams that MIGHT take a QB in the first round, and that is MIGHT.

Bottom line...if the O-line isn't fixed it wouldn't matter if Marino in his prime was back there. Brunell behind the current O-line is looking at early retirement, ala Joe Theisman. I'd be more than happy to see us spend our first 2 picks on the O-line...except Wanny gave our 2nd round pick to the Patriots for free. I'm just a little bitter about that btw. Any bets that with his karma the player NE gets with that #2 pick winds up a Hall of Famer?

I would like to see @ qb in the 1st round and Rivers looks very good, o-line is very important and in O-Gun goes which I see very likely we will have a #2 pick and I say #2 address the O-line and #3 a WR or trade up for an additional #2 pick for a better WR.

VERY rare to get an O-lineman outside of the 1st round who can be productive in his 1st year. Maybe, but not something I would count on. Generally there are no more than 3 or 4 O-lineman in any given draft that have a real chance to start in their rookie year, and they rarely make it out of the 1st round.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Bottom line...if the O-line isn't fixed it wouldn't matter if Marino in his prime was back there. Brunell behind the current O-line is looking at early retirement, ala Joe Theisman. I'd be more than happy to see us spend our first 2 picks on the O-line...except Wanny gave our 2nd round pick to the Patriots for free. I'm just a little bitter about that btw. Any bets that with his karma the player NE gets with that #2 pick winds up a Hall of Famer?

I will not argue one bit about the Oline. It's pretty much a given fact that w/o a decent Oline, you will simply go no where at all. i like our opportunities this year. even w/o a #2, we could be ok considering if O-gun leaves and we get a 1 and 3 for him along with ny fav wish of [restructuring] Madison and trading him for picks, which should get us another #1, surely a 2 at the least. With that, we could take a QB with the first pick, use the other 1s on OL and I'd even trade one of the #3s along with later picks to get a #2, etc. and get another WR then. i'm sorry, but the D is just gonna have to wait this year til we address more pressing needs first. But back to the QB part tho, I don't mean to take a QB in the 1st just for the sake of doing it. We should target a couple, say Manning and Rivers and stick to it and take only those we target in the first and be diligent in it, ie move up if possible if need be but not at the expense of the rest of ther draft tho.

Back
Top Bottom