Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

I love how you simply list stats. Great work on this thread.

Dude was slinging it in 2016 and putting together a string of great games before getting hurt.

Yeah it's not like Flacco threw 11 td's and 0 ints in his Super Bowl (4 games) run oh wait he did. Well its not like Eli threw 15 tds and 2 ints in those 2 Super Bowl runs (8 games) oh wait he did.
It's not like either is elite, either.

Maybe they had help?

I dont know man I think finding 1 top 8 QB is a whole lot easier than finding 22 above average players. I mean there are 32 teams in the league so average would be between 16-20 and above average would be 10-15. So finding 22 players consistently ranked between 10-15 just seems harder. How many teams can say they have that many above average players (10-15). Than the cost of having that many above average players and their above average salary would not be sustainable. Look at Olivier Vernon i would say he's above average but not great and look at his ridiculous contract..
Eli Manning (x2), Tom Brady (x2), Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisbeger (x2), Peyton Manning (X1) disagree with you.

if you want to win a super bowl and be a consistent team year in and out, you need a great qb. obvious i know but that dismisses tannehill as someone to bank on. he is an average qb. he is what he is.

look at the qbs who have represented the afc in the past 20
years. it’s the same ones over and over - brady, manning, roethlisberger.

sure on a random year flacco can sneak in because of a crazy bomb td in denver and miraculous defense, but that is not the norm.

if you are content with being average, then you are all in with tannehill. if you want to try for greatness, you keep drafting a qb every year until you hit a star.

I dont know man I think finding 1 top 8 QB is a whole lot easier than finding 22 above average players. I mean there are 32 teams in the league so average would be between 16-20 and above average would be 10-15. So finding 22 players consistently ranked between 10-15 just seems harder. How many teams can say they have that many above average players (10-15). Than the cost of having that many above average players and their above average salary would not be sustainable. Look at Olivier Vernon i would say he's above average but not great and look at his ridiculous contract..

Vernon got that contract because of his youth and still potential ceiling.

We have an average to above average QB depending on the mood of the poster. That only took how many draft picks and trades since Marino?

In between elite and trash won’t get Miami anywhere either. Tannehill is a top 8 pick. Why wouldn’t you want Tannehill to be elite? He should be elite. And if he’s not a Top 5 QB then Miami made a mistake on taking him that high.
There are multiple QBs taken in the top 8 every single year. Hell, Tannehill was the third QB taken in his own draft class. Guess what, they can't all be top 5 QBs in the league.

There are multiple QBs taken in the top 8 every single year. Hell, Tannehill was the third QB taken in his own draft class. Guess what, they can't all be top 5 QBs in the league.
Then don’t take him that high. The other two QBs, luck who is injured and RG3 is out the league because he’s a bust when taken that high and he’s not elite.

if you want to win a super bowl and be a consistent team year in and out, you need a great qb. obvious i know but that dismisses tannehill as someone to bank on. he is an average qb. he is what he is.

look at the qbs who have represented the afc in the past 20
years. it’s the same ones over and over - brady, manning, roethlisberger.

sure on a random year flacco can sneak in because of a crazy bomb td in denver and miraculous defense, but that is not the norm.

if you are content with being average, then you are all in with tannehill. if you want to try for greatness, you keep drafting a qb every year until you hit a star.
If you draft a QB early every year you become the Cleveland Browns. Doing that leaves your roster devoid of talent elsewhere. Without surrounding talent, someone who might otherwise be a great QB might be a bust because of the lack of support.

Then don’t take him that high. The other two QBs, luck who is injured and RG3 is out the league because he’s a bust when taken that high and he’s not elite.
Then what does a franchise that has the #8 pick and needs a QB do? Newsflah, top 5 QBs rarely if ever become free agents or get traded, and by definition only 1 out of every 7 teams can have one. Who is this magical unicorn of a top 5 QB that was available to the Dolphins in the last 5 years? You have to draft what's available when you draft. Tannehill can easily be a Flacco or Eli. We just need someone competent assembling the rest of the roster.

Yeah as in it is team chemistry and team work. That will support you the long way coming. Hoping to have Tannehill back in 2018!

First of all, if someone was banned for a thread like this on another site, then that's a hint toward the caliber of the other site. Someone has a position of authority who doesn't need or deserve it.

After reading the opening post I expected an immediate storm of Tannehill supporters, overstating his value and his 2016. To my amazement the bulk of the thread was actually unfair to Tannehill. He made strides in several areas in 2016. Somebody in the building figured out the deep balls needed to be in the 30-40 yard range and not the full swing driver. Tannehill improved his touch and executed those plays very well. I actually thought there should have been more of them, in substitute of let's say the ever-brilliant flanker screens. Or screens period.

The emergence of Ajayi allowed a power based team for the first time in memory. So gorgeous and satisfying. That enabled Tannehill to pick his spots instead of forcing a Crowd quarterback to wing from the shotgun 40+ times per game, a dependable path to failure. Now it will be interesting to see how Tannehill fares if Gase decides we don't need that physical running game and can rely on Drake and versatility alone. I have my doubts.

Just get rid of all the parallel plays. Regardless of who is playing quarterback. While watching the Dolphins if a pass play develops aggressively toward a downfield dart, then I'm happy and paying attention. If we are looking sideways immediately then I am already mentally cursing, and seldom does the result run counter to my lack of confidence.

Tannehill improved his YPA significantly, which was a great sign. He did it primarily with supreme numbers while trailing and specifically in the third quarter. Over time if he keeps his YPA to the same level as 2016 then everything should balance out in categories like that.

I was not happy in 2016 because that type of season further supported roy miami's awesome summation that Ryan Tannehill was likely to throw away a full decade of our football rooting lives. Yep. It was just enough to move him toward that Top 12 level that I assigned as his upside prior to the 2012 draft. It is a devastating level. Just enough to keep the adjusters satisfied, within the organization and outside. Another year. Maybe another one. Wait there were reasons again, so we need another year. Headed toward that 12 Years of Tannehill My Nightmare Said to Me -- "...Four More Brady Rings, Three Blank Stares, Two First Quarter Punts, and Another Hefty Raise."

I wasn't surprised I could remember it. Tannehill has that stick-em quality, that stain quality.

With a quarterback like this you need supporting superstars all over the roster. How we doin'?

After plummeting from 10 wins, 2018 is another natural uptick season so Tannehill will look fine, assuming he's healthy. But that's the carryover curiosity from 2016...Superman can normally tell if something is wrong with his knee. Superman is Clark Kent and he makes one sharp decision after another.

Somehow our guy was touted as Superman, even if it made no sense whatsoever. Not even five seasons banked. It was as if 2016 was designed as the ultimate Tannehill tease...to keep the adjusters content, to madden those of us scared of a wasted decade, and to laugh at anyone who believed he was indestructible.

Nobody wins

It's not like either is elite, either.

Maybe they had help?

They may not be elite but they did have elite post season runs. Flacco's 11 td 0 int 2012 postseason run matches Montana's best post season which was 1989 in which he threw 11 td 0 int. Only Warner and Montana have thrown for as many td's as Flacco did during his 2012 playoff run. As for Ei Manning his 9 td's during the 2011 post season in only surpassed by 2014 Brady (10), Warner 2008 (11), Montana1989 (11),and Flacco 2012 (11).

The 2011 Giants had the 25th ranked defense to go along with their league worst 32nd ranked rushing offense.

The 2012 Ravens receiving corps consisted of a 32 year old Boldin, journeyman Torrey Smith who has now been on 3 teams the last 4 years, an average Dennis Pitta. I would dare say I'd rather take our WR corps. Ray Rice averaged 76 yards a game at 3.6 yards per carry and a grand total of 2 td's in the post season.

Not saying either is an elite HOF QB but I am saying their post season runs for their super bowl years were very much elite. There is no doubt in my mind that if Tanny played as average as he does not in the regular season but turned it up in the post season and played at an elite level and won a couple of super bowls. Everyone on this board would be calling him elite. All of a sudden his average regular season play would be irrelevant and there would be talks about how he carried the dolphins to the super bowl.

We have an average to above average QB depending on the mood of the poster. That only took how many draft picks and trades since Marino?

Since Marino left it wasn't until 2007 that we finally drafted a QB in the first 3 round and that QB was 26 year old John Beck. Another 2nd rounder was used in 2008 for Chad Henne. Another 2nd rounder in 09 for Pat White. Than finally 2012 we use a 1st round pick on Ryan Tannehill who has been the best QB we've drafted since Marino. So on a team thats been lacking a QB since the days of Marino we never thought to address the issue in the 1st round until 13 years later.And wouldn't you know it, it worked even if he isn't elite this has been the most stable we've been at the position in a long time.(yes i realize we also traded for feely and culpepper but im trying to block that out.)

People give the brown a lot of grief but they at least try to get themselves a QB in the 1st round and haven't given up. 7 of the last 10 super bowl winning QB's have come in the 1st round, i count Brees as a 1st rounder since he was picked 32nd which would be a 1st round pick nowadays and also it helps my argument so.

Back
Top Bottom