FA Gems? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FA Gems?

Surferosa

Run to Daylight
Reaction score
There are still some pretty good FA's out there who are better than some of the guys on our roster. For example, Desmond Howard is still on the market and is a much better kick/punt returner than Charlie Rogers. Hes also a better WR.

Also, Jumbo Elliot is still an FA. Isnt he better than Greg German?

Point is, these guys would surely sign a contract for the league minimum with no signing bonus, They also wouldnt take up any cap space. Plus if they get cut in preseason, we wouldnt take any cap hit.

why not bring them abord?

Desmond Howard and Jumbo Elliot, like R Webb, are too old

Elliot is definitely old (38 I think), but Howard is only 33. Last year he ran a kickoff back 70 yards and had a better return average than Rogers. In 2001 he was second in the league in Kickoff returns and returned a kickoff 91 yards.

hes not done yet.

For example, Desmond Howard is still on the market and is a much better kick/punt returner than Charlie Rogers. Hes also a better WR

None of the above, if you ask me. Desmond Howard IMO is practically useless as a WR, especially in relation to the guys we've got who deserve playing time much more than Desmond would, and also Desmond Howard does not have the same smoking gun on returns that he use to. Not better than Charlie Rogers, indistinguishable from each other basically. Desmond Howard gets passed around the league like a joint at a party...and there's a reason why. Charlie Rogers gets passed around too, but at least he's still young and still has the blazing speed that makes him a good returner. Unlike say, Brian Mitchell who never really made his living on returns with speed but rather smart running, Desmond Howard made a lot of his flashy stuff with speed and now he's in his 30's. Ask yourself why the rest of the league hasn't gone after Desmond Howard yet, while guys like Jermaine Lewis and Charlie Rogers were snatched up.

Also another thing, signing a guy for the veteran's minimum is not free of cap charge. I would go into a detailed explanation, but I really don't feel like it. And in general, you have to balance age with veterans presence with opportunity for youngsters. Greg Jerman could be the next Jon Runyan for all we know and here we'd be cutting him before he could even have a chance to develop, in favor of a 38 year old guy who's best playing days are like a full decade behind him.

Suffice it to say the coaches have the best view of the talent in our stable, better than any of us fans, and the fact that they are not going out and scrambling to find some more decrepit old football players to sign for their 'veteran savvy' should tell us all we need to know.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

None of the above, if you ask me. Desmond Howard IMO is practically useless as a WR, especially in relation to the guys we've got who deserve playing time much more than Desmond would, and also Desmond Howard does not have the same smoking gun on returns that he use to. Not better than Charlie Rogers, indistinguishable from each other basically. Desmond Howard gets passed around the league like a joint at a party...and there's a reason why. Charlie Rogers gets passed around too, but at least he's still young and still has the blazing speed that makes him a good returner. Unlike say, Brian Mitchell who never really made his living on returns with speed but rather smart running, Desmond Howard made a lot of his flashy stuff with speed and now he's in his 30's. Ask yourself why the rest of the league hasn't gone after Desmond Howard yet, while guys like Jermaine Lewis and Charlie Rogers were snatched up.

Also another thing, signing a guy for the veteran's minimum is not free of cap charge. I would go into a detailed explanation, but I really don't feel like it. And in general, you have to balance age with veterans presence with opportunity for youngsters. Greg Jerman could be the next Jon Runyan for all we know and here we'd be cutting him before he could even have a chance to develop, in favor of a 38 year old guy who's best playing days are like a full decade behind him.

Suffice it to say the coaches have the best view of the talent in our stable, better than any of us fans, and the fact that they are not going out and scrambling to find some more decrepit old football players to sign for their 'veteran savvy' should tell us all we need to know.

Nice take CK.;)

Originally posted by dolphanjo
i love desmand howard becuase patriot fans hate him:nesucks: :nesucks: :nesucks: :nesucks: :nesucks: :) :) :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I completely agree with you about Elliot, CK. I didnt realize he was 38. I thought he was much much younger.

However, the "joint" that is Desmond Howad still has game. I guarantee you right now that Howard will not only land on some team before the season starts, but he will take it to the house at least once before the season comes to an end. Hes also a much more polished as a receiver than Rogers. Finally, he has big game experience, including an SB MVP to his name.

I wouldn't want any of these guys either. This year Charlie Rogers will be a better return man than Desmond [if he gets a job]. I also believe he will be used in certain formations on offense this year to get him the ball a couple more times a game. This guy is very underated, explosive, and came to Miami being promised to get in on some offense. This is one reason he came here for less money. He's a real home run threat and people are going to learn this and appreciate him. I'm very excited about him this year. Look for a lot more than expected out of this guy.

Desmond Howard is good but he is old plus the coaches have been surprised by how Rogers has been running and catching.

The decision to sign Desmond Howard should have been made months ago, back when we signed Charlie Rogers. We lost out on Jermaine Lewis, and we went to the backup plan Charlie Rogers. So far, Rogers has surprised us with his talent in offensive formations so he could see the field a little. Signing Desmond Howard now would be rather pointless, we should have done it back then if we were gonna do it. But the Jets wanted Rogers badly too, and we managed to get him. Notice the Jets didn't put feelers out to Howard. They signed Albert Johnson. :)

same can be said of Eliot in that we decided to stick w/Dixon at LT and not sign a vet at LT. We'd take Webb over Eliot anyday. I am still hoping we sign Webb so that he can retire a fin even if he retires before TC

Back
Top Bottom