Feel Bad for Konrad | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feel Bad for Konrad

Dolphin North

Club Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
9,644
I remember how excited I was when Rob Konrad was drafted. I heard comparisons to Alstot and Moose Johnson, which were never fulfilled. I always remember him being in and out of the lineup and wondering why he was under used. He always looked a little awkward turning to catch a ball- never seemed to get his feet right or shoulders square to the ball and it would glance off his hands incomplete. Bad health is what hampered him, not a lack of work ethic, from what we read now. Every now and then he would catch a ball on the outside and level a linebacker or poor guy in the secondary, showing what could have been.
And now, after the injuries, being misused perhaps, and then relegated to the Raiders, he has had it. At least he left when he realized his heart was no longer in it (after only 6 years), because to me, he always showed heart if he played through the injuries we hear about.
It is funny how some players give you an impression. I never got frustrated at him for failing to live up to his billing. I always just felt bad for him, hoping this will be the year, or this will be the play, where he shows how good he will become. Never happened on a regular basis. People can agree or disagree, but in my opinion, say goodbye to a good guy. Hopefully he will move on to something productive and not spend long feeling bad about a great career never realized.:(
 

CitizenSnips

Ready for Henne.
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
6,921
Reaction score
1
Age
34
He was a good guy. A good player too. People act like he was terrible around here. He was almost pro bowler at one time. FB is practically a lost art in the NFL these days, and its certainly a lost art in the offense we're going to run. But Konrad was a very decent player. I liked the man a lot, but if hes not happy, im glad hes strong enough to walk away from football. (people don't realize, walking away from millions of dollars takes some serious balls)
 

CanadaPhinsFan

Practice Squad
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
2,403
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Location
Kitchener
Didn't Konrad have some concussions? I wonder if that factored into his decision. No doubt playing FB would put some serious wear and tear on your body.

I was sad to see him go. He was misused by Wanny for years and never got to realiz his full potential.
 
F

finswin56

dolphan north said:
I remember how excited I was when Rob Konrad was drafted. I heard comparisons to Alstot and Moose Johnson, which were never fulfilled. I always remember him being in and out of the lineup and wondering why he was under used. He always looked a little awkward turning to catch a ball- never seemed to get his feet right or shoulders square to the ball and it would glance off his hands incomplete. Bad health is what hampered him, not a lack of work ethic, from what we read now. Every now and then he would catch a ball on the outside and level a linebacker or poor guy in the secondary, showing what could have been.
And now, after the injuries, being misused perhaps, and then relegated to the Raiders, he has had it. At least he left when he realized his heart was no longer in it (after only 6 years), because to me, he always showed heart if he played through the injuries we hear about.
It is funny how some players give you an impression. I never got frustrated at him for failing to live up to his billing. I always just felt bad for him, hoping this will be the year, or this will be the play, where he shows how good he will become. Never happened on a regular basis. People can agree or disagree, but in my opinion, say goodbye to a good guy. Hopefully he will move on to something productive and not spend long feeling bad about a great career never realized.:(

Good post.
I was also very excited when we drafted Konrad. Too bad he is another "should have been"
 

Mike13

I am a golden god
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
23,462
Reaction score
528
Age
34
Location
Miami, FL
dolphan north said:
I remember how excited I was when Rob Konrad was drafted. I heard comparisons to Alstot and Moose Johnson, which were never fulfilled. I always remember him being in and out of the lineup and wondering why he was under used. He always looked a little awkward turning to catch a ball- never seemed to get his feet right or shoulders square to the ball and it would glance off his hands incomplete. Bad health is what hampered him, not a lack of work ethic, from what we read now. Every now and then he would catch a ball on the outside and level a linebacker or poor guy in the secondary, showing what could have been.
And now, after the injuries, being misused perhaps, and then relegated to the Raiders, he has had it. At least he left when he realized his heart was no longer in it (after only 6 years), because to me, he always showed heart if he played through the injuries we hear about.
It is funny how some players give you an impression. I never got frustrated at him for failing to live up to his billing. I always just felt bad for him, hoping this will be the year, or this will be the play, where he shows how good he will become. Never happened on a regular basis. People can agree or disagree, but in my opinion, say goodbye to a good guy. Hopefully he will move on to something productive and not spend long feeling bad about a great career never realized.:(


Yeah, I was dissapointed that he had to go, he had a good career, but Mr Hairlip didnt use him alot. I read in an issue of SI that Konrad has a real estate firm (or some kind of business) here in Miami so he will be working there. So much for a good and underrated player for the Dolphins, hopefully we will have a good replacement for him.
 

Mr Fan

The return of tradition
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
May 18, 2003
Messages
1,784
Reaction score
1,600
Doubt this will be popular with this Konrad love fest, however he was a waste of a 2nd round draft choice.

What did he ever do for the Phins?

Catch passes? Mr. Drop
Block? Poorly
Run? Always followed by a fumble
Toughness? I've seen creampuffs with more toughness

Just deadweight that Saban cut from of the team. :what:
 

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
21,076
Reaction score
6,846
Location
Weeki Wachee, Florida
Mr Fan said:
Doubt this will be popular with this Konrad love fest, however he was a waste of a 2nd round draft choice.

What did he ever do for the Phins?

Catch passes? Mr. Drop
Block? Poorly
Run? Always followed by a fumble
Toughness? I've seen creampuffs with more toughness

Just deadweight that Saban cut from of the team. :what:

Absolutely, just another of the offensive busts Jimmy Johnson drafted.

Konrad was exactly what I read he was in the Sporting News draft guide that year................A talented, injury prone, underachiever.
 

armyfinfan

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Messages
922
Reaction score
2
Konrad wasnt a bad player not outstanding but a solid player. I once saw a clip of him sitting with Ricky and they were talking and Konrad said You will get your carries and I'll get my headaches. Ricky carried the ball more times than anyone ever in those 2 seasons and Konrad blocked for him the majority of the time. IMO Konrad doesnt get the recognition he deserves for his blocking ability. If he was on a team that had some serious offensive weapons he could have been like a Moose or really successfull.
 

finmann

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
5,790
Reaction score
2,374
Konrad was an Ok F/B who I Liked. But lets face it guys, this man never lived up to expectations, was always hurt, made millions(overpaid) got a degree in business from Syracuse and now has his own Broker-Dealer firm. Do I feel sorry for Konrad?......NO.
 

guido13

Practice Squad
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
452
Reaction score
0
Age
47
Location
Tarpon Springs
It's funny how we judge people based on our perceptions without ever really knowung the truth. We are all conspiricy theorists to one degree or another. Konrad was not outstanding with our team, but I think it was from misuse and lack of use. How often did we pound him into the line with Timbo lead blocking? that would have been great. How many passes were actually thrown to him because that was the play called, not because he was a last thought. And don't underestimate the blocking. He has done well for himself and has his own business. Good for him.
 

mfja9977

Practice Squad
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Boston,MA
finmann said:
Konrad was an Ok F/B who I Liked. But lets face it guys, this man never lived up to expectations, was always hurt, made millions(overpaid) got a degree in business from Syracuse and now has his own Broker-Dealer firm. Do I feel sorry for Konrad?......NO.



I totally agree with your post. He made millions, didn't really do that much and when he was asked to catch the ball he would usually drop it. I do also agree that we misused by Wanny and that he never lived up the potential that he showed at Syracuse.

Do I feel bad for him? Not in the least. He is still young, well off money wise and set with a business to fall back on. This is why athletes should finish school.

Maybe some NBA players could take a leasson from him. Well that is if they could read and write.
 

dolfan4life72

Scout Team
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
i dont feel bad for him really...he wasnt all that good but he did his best under dave...i got a ? for anyone who can answer it, im new to this and ill wanna ask a big question that way everyone can give me advice about something. how do u post a new thread??? thank u
maybe u can help me by email? u can email me at playa4e1919@aol thanks
 

thedayafter

Pro Bowler
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Messages
1,816
Reaction score
4
Please... he lived the dream and made some money. He apparently did the right thing and started a company that may secure his future... I wish him well, if he has "no regrets" why should we.....
 

finfan54

Active Roster
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
26,167
Reaction score
28
Konrad never lived up to his billing and I always felt that his heart was not in it completely. He would be missing in action in a lot of games and quite frankly, he was a wuss. I agree with the sentiment of not feeling sorry for him. I go to syracuse games from time to time and we go to his bar before games. I always felt like he would get a ding and next thing you know, you dont see him in the game anymore. I dont think his heart was ever in the game. Its not a knock, its just reality. Some of us are not as passionate about what we do in life but if you can start your career making millions of dollors wouldnt you do it? Of course we would. We all say that we would give a 100% but when you go to work everyday, reality sets in.
 
Top Bottom