Feeley Deserves More Credit. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley Deserves More Credit.

clownfish said:
Then how the hell did he have a completion percentage of 53.7%? I think your numbers are way off. He had an equal amount of great throws and bad throws, with plenty of good throws and stupid decisions in between.

53.7% is not exactly a stat to be bragging about. He had few really good throws and the rest were average at best. Obviously there were other factors that may have contributed, but the bottom line is that AJ like the rest of the team just didn't get the job done. I think he at least deserves a shot to prove whether or not he's the guy. But last season was really bad no matter how you look at it.

BlitPhinFan said:
Now this, I can get behind. This is your best argument yet, and the sole reason I have doubts about him starting(not his potential). In order to get a valid chance at starting you have to prove in practice that you have the ability. This is the area that will hurt him. If alleged reports are true that he is indeed improving in this area, then more power to him.

.........and with a new regime change, practice is HUGE.......even mini-camp......don't kid yourselves, in mini-camp your mechanics have to be solid regardless of whether the pads are on. By all indications, he was jumpy, locking on to recievers and not stepping into his throws right. Feeley's not Saban's guy so the leash is extra short - hence the ringer Gus Frerotte being brought in.

enigmatics said:
.........and with a new regime change, practive is HUGE.......even mini-camp......don't kid yourselves, in mini-camp your mechanics have to be solid regardless of whether the pads are on. By all indications, he was jumpy, locking on to recievers and not stepping into his throws right. Feeley's not Saban's guy so the leash is extra short - hence the ringer Gus Frerotte being brought in.

Gus was brought in long before they had a chance to see Feeley in mini-camp. I agree the leash may be short and should be, but if he is starting to prove himself already in mini-camp, then why not give him a chance. He is by no means "Marino", but what if.... just what if he can manage the game well enough to be "Brad Johnson?" Is that so bad? We walk away with a ring. I don't like the follow-up story, but hey... give it a chance at least.

BlitPhinFan said:
Gus was brought in long before they had a chance to see Feeley in mini-camp. I agree the leash may be short and should be, but if he is starting to prove himself already in mini-camp, then why not give him a chance. He is by no means "Marino", but what if.... just what if he can manage the game well enough to be "Brad Johnson?" Is that so bad? We walk away with a ring. I don't like the follow-up story, but hey... give it a chance at least.

Honestly, I think it's a case of what they watched of him from tapes of games last season. Coaches are paid the mega bucks to take a stab at whether a player could be serviceable or good or what have you. Obviously they aren't always right, but nobody ever always is.

TRUDOLFAN54 said:
Well Im Just Stating My Opinion Here And I Think This Guy Got Better As Season Went On.once He Got On The Same Page With The Wr's And Lets Not Forget The Te That Was Extinct Till Feeley Came In The Lineup This Guy Has Potential. He Has Alot Of Upside Ya He Made A Couple Of Bonehead Mistakes That Made Me Mad But THIS GUY TOOK A BEATING Look What New Guy Just Comes In And Tears It Up His First Year.this Kid Needs Time And I Really Think He Could Get Us Where We Want To Go And Thats The Big Dance.

Wow, now that's a triumph of excessive work, capitalizing only the first letter of every word. I'll try to save some extra shift keys in case yours wear out. :)

Thumper1016 said:
You make some good points. I agree with you I think this year he will turn some heads. Last year we had a terrible o-line and coaching staff was a joke. Our offense has been so predicatable over the last few years. I think with the new coaching staff and a new offensive scheme Feeley should be able to produce this year.

He also had NO running game as well.

BlitPhinFan said:

I'm not positive of this but the year the Bucs won the SB wasn't Johnson a pro bowler? If fans are hoping Aj can be an average QB at best, I don't like the idea of him being anything more than a backup. Why not give him a chance? He does have a chance, he has the opportunity to win the starting job, would you rather it just handed to him? He does not have a track record, he's proven nothing IMO, except that he is consistently inconsistent. I'm not gonna write him off, but I don't like the idea of having a QB "not lose" the game. I've posted it numerous times, teams with average Qb play will not be very good in the NFL. It may have worked a couple seasons ago, but I don't think it'll work anymore, the best example is the Bills last year who had one of the best defenses, and the best special teams but they could not make the playoffs because of average Qb play.

Awsi Dooger said:
Wow, now that's a triumph of excessive work, capitalizing only the first letter of every word. I'll try to save some extra shift keys in case yours wear out. :)

Seriously, wouldn't that be one giant pain in the azz to type like that?

enigmatics said:
Honestly, I think it's a case of what they watched of him from tapes of games last season. Coaches are paid the mega bucks to take a stab at whether a player could be serviceable or good or what have you. Obviously they aren't always right, but nobody ever always is.

Very true, but you can't argue that coaches have been proven wrong before, when given a new opportinity. That's all I am saying. Just give it time, it will all work itself out. No need to jump sides just yet.

I am rooting for AJ because I think he can do it. I am also rooting for Gus, because I think he can do it. Basically, I am cheering for whoever is best for the team. As I said before... there is no "qb" in "team." Never has been and never will be. Granted there are greats, but for the time being we will have to settle for mediocre to good to manage the team.

BlitPhinFan said:
Very true, but you can't argue that coaches have been proven wrong before, when given a new opportinity. That's all I am saying. Just give it time, it will all work itself out. No need to jump sides just yet.

I am rooting for AJ because I think he can do it. I am also rooting for Gus, because I think he can do it. Basically, I am cheering for whoever is best for the team. As I said before... there is no "qb" in "team." Never has been and never will be. Granted there are greats, but for the time being we will have to settle for mediocre to good to manage the team.

Not disagreeing with anything you said.........but we've all got our opinions and it will always be that way. And like we stated earlier, some people just have shorter leashes with a player. That's the nature of fanhood. I personally am still skeptical.........I've seen the arm strength, but not the mental aspect of AJ's game yet.

djfresh47 said:
I'm not positive of this but the year the Bucs won the SB wasn't Johnson a pro bowler? If fans are hoping Aj can be an average QB at best, I don't like the idea of him being anything more than a backup. Why not give him a chance? He does have a chance, he has the opportunity to win the starting job, would you rather it just handed to him? He does not have a track record, he's proven nothing IMO, except that he is consistently inconsistent. I'm not gonna write him off, but I don't like the idea of having a QB "not lose" the game. I've posted it numerous times, teams with average Qb play will not be very good in the NFL. It may have worked a couple seasons ago, but I don't think it'll work anymore, the best example is the Bills last year who had one of the best defenses, and the best special teams but they could not make the playoffs because of average Qb play.

Absolutely not! I most certainly don't want it handed to him! I just wish people would not write him off after last years perfomance under an abysmal coaching staff and offensive scheme. That is all.

enigmatics said:
Not disagreeing with anything you said.........but we've all got our opinions and it will always be that way. And like we stated earlier, some people just have shorter leashes with a player. That's the nature of fanhood. I personally am still skeptical.........I've seen the arm strength, but not the mental aspect of AJ's game yet.

Aye, I stated that as well in the thread InFins started. He has the physical attributes, but I want him to continue to improve on the mental aspects. I don't think we are too far off from wanting the same thing. We just don't see eye to eye on it actually happening with AJ.

BlitPhinFan said:
Absolutely not! I most certainly don't want it handed to him! I just wish people would not write him off after last years perfomance under an abysmal coaching staff and offensive scheme. That is all.

Alright, I don't think most people are writing him off, they just have little confidence in him because as fans we've seen so little of him in college and the professionally that what he did last season was probably the most anybody ever seen him play unless they watched him in high school. Perhaps last season was because of a bad situation, but I do believe Feeley did not help, and proved very little. I've never seen AJ be successful on any level so obviously i'm gonna have doubts, unlike other players that any fan has seen in college succeed they have a memory of them playing well, I just have none of Aj playing well. The New England game he played alright, but i'm not gonna give a guy props for playing well in 1/8 games.

KPDolfan424 said:
I agree that Feeley has potential. I believe he will be the starter for the first game, although I think he will be shaky the first games but if he stays the starter he will improve drasticly. I think every qb that takes over after a great....like dan the man.....will always get hated on and ragged on for every mistake because we want another great. But that should be quite some time before we see a great in Miami, Feeley will be good...but not great. And nobody will ever replace Dans shoes.

He took over for Fiedler not Dan.

djfresh47 said:
Alright, I don't think most people are writing him off, they just have little confidence in him because as fans we've seen so little of him in college and the professionally that what he did last season was probably the most anybody ever seen him play unless they watched him in high school. Perhaps last season was because of a bad situation, but I do believe Feeley did not help, and proved very little. I've never seen AJ be successful on any level so obviously i'm gonna have doubts, unlike other players that any fan has seen in college succeed they have a memory of them playing well, I just have none of Aj playing well. The New England game he played alright, but i'm not gonna give a guy props for playing well in 1/8 games.

I can agree with that argument. We haven't seen a prooven AJ at QB, I can't argue that. For me it is all about hope and noticing flashes of is athletic ability. If he can get the mental aspect of the game under control and SHOW it in practice sessions, then he should be given another shot. I just really think he was hosed last year, he did improve under bates, so that shows some promise.

Again, I am not saying he is the answer as I know he is not(at least in his current incarntion), but at least don't call him the next coming of Lucas, as I don't believe he is. ;)

Edit: I know you didn't call him the next reincarnation of Lucas, but that just seems what people are implying at times in here. :) I would never put words into people's mouths, but that just seemed to fit the bill as the generality. ;)

Ah well, we can all agree to disagree none the less, but we all want the same thing... a Superbowl ring! Go Fins! Here's to getting what we all want: :drinkers:

Back
Top Bottom