Feeley - Mitchell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley - Mitchell

Mitchell wasn't THAT bad. He wasn't great however it is not like he was the worst free agent pick up in history like ESPN painted him out to be

Feeley didnt look like a 'superstar' in his stint in Philidelphia. His numbers were actually very much like Fiedler's. Why Spielman traded a 2nd round pick for this guy will remain a mystery forever. Oh yeah I forgot, Spielman is just plain dumb- thats why.

ercin13 said:
brees was projocted to be a star, it just took him awhile. feeley and mitchell came out of nowhere.

Brees also played a full college career. Feeley didnt. I am sorry how people cant see how the injury affected AJ. Before he was hurt he was playing very well, had the great stats, but also showed teh intangibles. Had he not got injured, who knows what would have happened. I am not saying he would have been a to 5 pick, I am saying what the expectations would have been had he not been hurt could have been much different. The saying qbs dont lose jobs to injury does not apply in college, college careers are short and the life span is quick, AJ got hurt, Harrington had a year to play and he exploded, in college you go with the hot hand. Aj was also healthy enough to play in one year, but didnt regain his arm strength til the second year. Lack of experience plus injury concerns kill the draft grade. My point is this, 2 qbs cannot be compared unless the circumstances are equal, they werent. Feeley showed alot of potential til the injury, that potential doesnt go away, it just takes more time to develop anbd good coaching is needed to recognize it and bring it out. Mitchell was totally diff. Brees was diff.

I would venture to say that AJ is closer to brees than Mitchell. In that both played horribly when the o-line blew. AJ had the added burden of not having a running game.

AJ will have his chance, he wont have excuses to fall back on with Ronnie and Ricky if he comes back, plus houck and an improved line. Saban is no dummy, he obviously feels the team is fine with the qbs we have, including AJ. AJ will either show that he is teh guy or Gus will start. AJ will eiother develop or he wont, it is up to him, but he isnt the same as Mitchell. Totally diff circumstances.

Jnaledu3 said:
Feeley didnt look like a 'superstar' in his stint in Philidelphia. His numbers were actually very much like Fiedler's. Why Spielman traded a 2nd round pick for this guy will remain a mystery forever. Oh yeah I forgot, Spielman is just plain dumb- thats why.

I understand what you are saying but I hate the stats argument. He was third string that year, which means from camp til the time McNabb got hurt, he got absolutely no reps in practice, he worked the scout team. To think he was going to come in with the very limited experience he had and put up great numbers is wrong IMO. What he did do was show the composure, the leadership, the maturity to handle teh pressure he was in to keep Philli in contention.

Scott Mitchell wasn't really that bad in Detroit, here are his stats while he was with them;

Passing

Games: 57
Yards: 12,647
Touchdowns: 79
Interceptions: 54
Comp Pct: 57%

For a second I thought this thread was gonna be about Feeley and his relationship with Fred-Ex. Thank God its just a Scott Mitchell thread.

Doktor Ivel said:
not to be negative, but we wont win a superbowl, with Feely as the starting QB

theres really no proof either way. He could (see baltimore) or he couldn't see ..well us

Mitchell wasn't a bad QB. He was nothing special though. Not the kind of guy you build a team around or expect to take you to a Superbowl. I think the comparison is valid.

ercin13 said:
this feeley situation brings back memorys of former fin qb scott mitchell. mitchell filled in for an injured marino for a handful of games, dont remember what year. he looked like a susperstar for that run , kind of like feeley in philly. then detroit opened up their bank account to mitchell and he flat out suckedfor them. i just hope this isnt true for feeley. the similarities are disturbing.

not even remotely close:shakeno:

Why everybody thinks Mitchell sucked was beyond me. He really didn't.

Justasportsfan said:
Feeley has the advantage of working w/ a good coach like Saban. Seems to me the fins have the coaches to make Feeley successful. The only question is whether if Feeley is smart. He has the physical tools, but does he have the brain? Rob Johnson had the tools but he didn't have the brain to use them.

Good point. But, I don't think Johnsons problem was so much lack of brains as it was the inability to process information at NFL speed. A little bit of pressure and Johnson went into "deer in headlights" mode. He was smart enough, just couldnt think quickly enough. Feeley showed the same kind of panic at times last year, but it was usually under enormous pressure and in a system that made no sense even if there was NO pass rush at all. In my opinion, the problems that Feeley suffered last season are correctable with better coaching/better scheme, but only time will tell.

Hey, Marino was picked 27th in the draft. Worse then this year's Green Bay QB selection. Zach Thomas was picked in the 5th round. Jason Taylor in the 3rd. It doesn't mean anything when you look at how many stars blossumed from nowhere. In fact, I notice frequently that late draft picks and undrafted free agents turn into NFL stars moreso then the predicted superstars of most first rounds.

That said, Feeley definitely has an arm. He looked horrible last year but he had no O-line and a screwed up coaching staff that didn't know what they were going to do week to week.

I don't think he's a Marino but I do think that we need to see how his skills will fly under decent circumstances. Like allowing him at least a 3 step drop and throw before getting creamed by defenders. Marino would be throwing pick after pick too if 2-5 defenders were on him right after snap.

Back
Top Bottom