Feeley too Early? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley too Early?

law51873

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Did we make a move too soon? Did the Fins rush to get the The next Delhomme, by not waiting for the draft moves or free agency cuts? June will have a few cap casualties. Should they go after a proven QB? Collins, Warner or even trade Fiedler? What do you guys think?

Nope. I like the Feeley move. If we didn't act as soon as possible we were going to miss out on him. I would rather a young cheap quaterback with a lot of potential then an old expensive quarterback on the decline like Warner or Collins.

I'm ok as long as Fiedler doesn't start again. Feeley had better not be a waste of a draft pick.

Feeley will be good in my opinion. That is my opinion. Things that lead me to believe that is he has the physical skills, no he doesnt have the strongest arm in the league, but it is strong, he has much more zip on the ball than Jay ever did. He also has teh make up of a good qb. He has the mentality, the intelligence and the desire. He reads defenses well and knows quickly where to go with the ball, and he gets rid of it quickly. He has the tools, intelligence and the mentality to be good, he just has to do it, I believe he will.

What about Feeley makes you think he will be good? What about him makes you think he is "the next Delhomme?" Delhomme isn't the rule, he is the exception. I saw one of AJ Feeley's games as an Eagle, he won, but it wasn't impressive. His stats from when he started in 2002 were mediocre at best. His QB rating was below 80. He may have gone 4-1, but the 4 wins were against teams with losing records, and they won the games because of the defense, not Feeley. I'm willing to give Feeley a chance, but he has done nothing to justify giving up a second round pick and giving him a 5 year, 18 million dollar deal.

True, but Feeleys receivers in Philly weren't exactly great, they were average at best. I like this guy because he seems like one of those guys that isn't very fast, not too athletic, but he can just flat out throw the ball. I looked at his scouting report from when he was coming out and he's one of the slower qb's, but I'm fine with that. He is still going to need a few years to reach his full potential but that doesn't mean he can't be great for us this year. I think I could post and above 80 QB rating with the weapons this team has.

Feeley came in with no playing experience during a playoff drive and fighting for home field. Buckhalter was out injured, westbrook was a non factor, all there was was staley and he was year removed from a bad injury and to me is not a back that can carry a team. The receivers were not great, I take our receivers last year over them. He came in and maintained his poise and got the job done. I saw him play as well and I saw him make plays that should have been sacks, I saw many more passes dropped by receivers.

Point is coming into a situation like that with no experience, very little practice time and carrying your team to a 4-1 record regardless of who you play to me says that he has what it takes. Can I be wrong? Sure, I am not a guru, nor have I ever groomed a qb. I just like the makeup of this kid and the ability he showed.

You can't pass on making a move like this just because you want to wait and see if a "big name" gets cut after June 1st.

Miami had to get themselves a young starting caliber quarterback this offseason. Why they were even looking at Mark Brunell, I will never know. Brunell would have been the WRONG move for Miami. They did not need another short term option. They needed a potential long term fix.

The best option was Patrick Ramsey after the Redskins acquired Brunell, but they are absolutely not trading Ramsey. There is no sense in waiting around to see if they will buckle, missing out on other quarterback options in the process.

AJ Feeley was the next best bet among the young quarterbacks. Those of you that want Drew Henson only want his name. Right now, considering that he hasn't thrown a football in compeition in three years, there is no substance to his game. He's simply another Chad Hutchinson at this point.

AJ Feeley was the best of the starting caliber young quarterbacks Miami could get. There was no way of knowing that Kerry Collins would come available like he has.

Now that he's available, I say it would not be a bad idea for Miami to bring him in, cut Jay, and let Collins and Feeley battle it out. Collins was the guy I wanted Miami to bring in as Marino's understudy in 1999. I felt he was perfect for the style of offense Miami wanted to run, and he would have been a poor man's Troy Aikman at worst in the Norv Turner style of offense.

Forget Kurt Warner. Kerry Collins is the only quarterback Miami should think about pursuing between now and training camp.

Out of the QBs to get cut, only Kerry Collins was one that wasnt really a given.

Garcia and Warner our front office obviously knew about ahead of time. We didnt make a snap judgement on Feeley.

midwest_phinfan said:
True, but Feeleys receivers in Philly weren't exactly great, they were average at best. I like this guy because he seems like one of those guys that isn't very fast, not too athletic, but he can just flat out throw the ball. I looked at his scouting report from when he was coming out and he's one of the slower qb's, but I'm fine with that. He is still going to need a few years to reach his full potential but that doesn't mean he can't be great for us this year. I think I could post and above 80 QB rating with the weapons this team has.

Feeley's receivers also dropped about 5 passes in every game he played. Without the drops, his completion percentage would have been around 60%. His career completion percentage is 59%.

Feeley has the tools you look for in a quarterback, and he has the intangibles you look for in a quarterback. The biggest thing he showed when he got the opportunity to play was that he didn't clam up under pressure. He didn't go out there and play the game like it was the Superbowl. He simply played the game and was very cool, calm, and collected despite his lack of experience. He showed the same type of coolness in pressure situations that Tom Brady showed when he got his first opportunity. That's what made other teams look at him as a potential starter. That's what caught Ron Wolf's eye when he mentioned Feeley to Miami, and then advised Cleveland to pursue Feeley instead of Garcia. Of course, Cleveland didn't listen to him, and he quit that job.

We'll live or die by this move. If it pans out Spiel looks like a genius, if not, a doofus. I tell you one thing if Kerry Collins could lead the Giants to a conference championship he could lead us to one too. The guy can throw. He'd be the perfect QB for our system too...the way Norv ran it anyway. Why do you think Oakland is salivating already about his availability?

Here's to hoping Feeley works out the way we had it planned. He'll have the weapons. With Carey drafted, he honestly should have the protection too unless Carey significantly disappoints me. If our offense has problems, he is not doing his job. It doesn't mean he couldn't develop in the future, but it means he's not doing his job now. No excuses. Tough situation for a guy to step in, that much pressure knowing there's no excuses. Its a good thing mental toughness is this guy's forte.

If I knew Collins was going to be available I would have threw a fit if they chose feeley over him. But, the way it all went down, with Brunell, Ramsey, Feeley, Eli Manning, etc, I am confident that Rick made the right move. If we still didn't have a qb, then sure we could have Couch, or Warner, or Collins, but he made move at the right time. Remember how much Greise hurt himself by not getting into our QB schools? He and his agent took too long to negotiate a contract and he cost himself a lot in my opinion. I've always liike Kerry Collins, even when he was still a drunk, but he honestly only has a few years left in the league. I still think he is one of the top 4 qbs in the league in terms of a pure passer, but we made our move and I don't think we'll get collins.

Did Collins lead them to the conference champ or did the defense along with thunder and lightening lead them? I am not disagreeing with you nor implying Collins is not a good qb. I am merely stating there are issues with Collins. I like him, I just dont like him as much as some do. I am more for getting a guy like AJ with a ton of potential who is young vs a qb that is established, reached his peak that another team has cast off. I would not be disappointed if we got Collins dont get me wrong, I just see AJ as a better option in the long run.

Disgustipate said:
Out of the QBs to get cut, only Kerry Collins was one that wasnt really a given.

Garcia and Warner our front office obviously knew about ahead of time. We didnt make a snap judgement on Feeley.

I agree with you Dis. I think Collins was a suprise. Getting Feeley as earley as we did gives him a chance to learn the playbook. I hope he's studying. :D

I liked the AJ move and think he'll do good for us. Having said that, I'd bring Collins in if we can. It can't hurt to have him here and I think he's better than Jay too so if AJ starts then Collins can be the back up.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom