Feeley too Early? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley too Early?

Nathan,
I don't think that anyone on this thread, no matter how much they are criticizing Jay Fiedler, does not respect the fact that this team has a pretty good winning percentage with him at the controls. I also agree that our defense, good though I think it is, is overrated. Stats on the field, just like 40 yard dash times, don't make winning teams and games. Players make winning teams and games. I am not a fan of Jay Fiedler but I agree that his contributions should not be overlooked. The Redskins game last year proved to me just how much his teammates respect him as a leader on the field.

That having been said, I think that it is time for change at the quarterback position in Miami. Jay Fiedler has had several years to prove that he is the guy, and while there are other factors that have to play into our evaluation of his time as the QB of the Dolphins, as you pointed out, at a certain point it becomes about winning. You're quite right, football isn't about stats. I seem to remember an NFL team somewhere that had the leading sack man and leading rusher in the league and still won only 9 games and missed the playoffs. Football is about winning the games that matter. Did Jay win a lot of games? Yes. Did Jay win the games that mattered? No. Did he have a lot of chances to win meaningful games? Yes.

The Miami Dolphins are a very talented football team with an average head coach and a consistent pattern of losing important football games. In order to change the culture of losing the big games we need to try to change the team. Bringing in Feeley, Boston, and people like Edwards are attempts to try something new and are not merely changes made for the sake of putting something different out there on the field.

I respect your comments about Jay Fiedler. Although I've never been a fan of his, I can't deny that he's done a good job in many ways. But at a certain point, you have to realize that we need to hand the reins over to someone else. I'm confident in A.J. Feeley even though I think we traded too high of a pick for him, and I don't think it was too early to make a move. A.J. has had a lot of time to learn the playbook, and I expect big things out of him this year. I hope, as we all do, that Feeley was the right call, and hope for the best for our Dolphins this year.

My hat's off to you Ace. I respect and AGREE with that intelligent response. I have never, in any forum or thread, stated my true opinion of AJF. I believe RS DID make a great move to get AJF. He is young, battle tested, not proven, and a better prospect at this point in his career than most if not all of the rookie qbs coming in this year. I thought the trade was very well executed by RS. And, RS followed his conviction to choose AJF by giving him a salary which gives him status and the proper backing. It tells the team the FO is behind the kid. It tells the team he is worthy of a starting spot and the rest of the team should welcome him/embrace him in that capacity. I don't think AJF can ever say his salary is not on par with his status or ability. Good move RS.

As far as JF, Ace, I just feel he has done a job few could do in a time (following Marino) in which failure seemed the only expected outcome. His heart and desire to win games for this organization maintained stability for our franchise's reputation until a complete regime change could occur. He was the calm presence during the stormy night. I think it is time for us, as Phans, to show our admiration and appreciation for his efforts WHILE he is still a member of this team and NOT 20 years from now. For us to realize his contributions now shows our true insight as to his value to the Phans, team, coaches and ownership when everyone expected us to crumble in Dan's absence.

He bought us time to build a new philosophy. And, he kept our winning heritage unblemished. He gives the Phans the ability to sit back and judge him on marginal situations. His ability to deliver us to a winning situation is overlooked. For it is the outcome which becomes legacy. The small deeds, plays and sacrifices to help us reach that point are forgotten.

John Elway makes an uncharacterstical dive for the end zone to score a touchdown. Sacrificing his body for one play to win one game. He is immortalized.

Jay Fiedler has been making those dives and sacrifices nearly every game he has played. He is martared.

I have no problems with AJF becomming our QB of the future. I simply wish the Phans we wish him gone would only realize we are replacing him with a younger version. AJF is the same mold, as LarryFinFan described (referenced by me to also describe JF). AJF will not take over a game and win it by his own will. He will work within the system as JF has. The SYSTEM dictates it. AJF was chosen to fit the SYSTEM.

It is time the JF haters realize Dan Marino Days are gone. We have a new system. And that system requires a game manager. We'll never see a 4,000 yard passer in this system. So, realize, you are trading an older JF for a younger JF. And, in 2 years you will be screaming and crying about the lack of the "Greatest Show on Grass (Turf)". It's not gonna happen.

I welcome AJF into the fold. I hope the wisdom gained from not having a good and ABLE backup qb will slowly be acquired by the JF haters. And, in that wisdom, understand that JF is a valuable commodity to have as a buqb.

Ace, I thank you for finally offering a reasonable and intelligent debate about AJF and JF.

:cooldude:

Pardon me while I quote myself.

"... beyond Fiedler, there’s one other name to keep in mind when analyzing the Feeley deal: Wayne Gandy. Spielman obviously did not want a repeat of last year’s disappointing search for an upgrade at left tackle, which ended in a disastrous settling for the status quo. There’s no way he was going to identify quarterback as a pressing need, then not improve the position. And as more and more potential Fiedler replacements have fallen by the wayside (Brunell, Ramsey, et al), Spielman had to be feeling an uncomfortable sense of déjà vu. So he pulled the trigger.

"There is no doubt that the same crowd who complained about the Dolphins’ inaction last offseason will condemn what they perceive as a foolhardy rush to action now. But Spielman has apparently done his homework and believes Feeley is the answer."

Touchy Feeley

Sorry Doc, didn't mean to make you feel insulted. But, I'm sure you're very aware of the many opinions that come off as childish reasonings such as "I want what I want because I want it".
It's that type of circular narrow minded thinking that has made me stop posting for a while.
I was honestly suprised by the RELATIVE peace during the draft. Not TOO many RS bashers argued with his decisions. There were minor differences in opinion spoken, but not MANY "WE SUCK" attitudes were voiced.
I know there are intelligent posts voiced from time to time. We are blessed to share in their intellect when it is offered. However, I've simply grown tired of people posting their emphatic beliefs without appropriate references to fact supporting those beliefs.

Aw C'mon. Thats too logical. Where is the fun argumentative spin???? J/K

Arguing for argument's sake can take away from a valid and intriguing debate.

So, Doc, I apologize for making you feel insulted. My comments were directed to challenge a more detailed explanation on some people's behalf to support their beliefs. Not just say, "JF Sucks!" and sit back down. Stand up and explain your reasons. A wobbly pass over the receiver's head can be accomplished hundreds of ways: bad protection, tipped pass, blocked pass, running for one's life making a desperate throw to make a play because the offensive line cannot sufficiently block an unaided down lineman rush in an obvious passing situation created by the same offensive lines inability to establish sufficient running lanes to help avoid 3rd and long situations from consistently occuring every single possession because we paid too much attention to the defensive side of the ball in the offseason and was unable to upgrade the offensive line with better players to help prevent such a disaster from occuring every single week in and week out because we feel defense is the only thing needed to win a game... just to name a few...

WHEW... now I feel like JF after a passing play... TIRED of running on and on and on and on...

Arguing for argument's sake can take away from a valid and intriguing debate.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I was using sarcasm to try and drive home the point. I expressed an opinion on another thread and got riped for it. As if I had personally offended this individual becuase I disagreed with his OPINION. Thats all they are and anyone who seeks an argument or creates one because of a projective/defensive nature may be better suited on a board without debate.

i think the washington game last year showed what kind of backup fiedler could be for this team. they looked dead in the water and he came in and helped lead the team to victory. i think feeley should start with fiedler as #2. the team doesn't need anybody else.

I think I missed something ... why should I feel insulted? I wasn't responding so much to any individual posts as much as the precept of the thread: that Spielman pulled the trigger too quickly on Feeley. No offense taken or even noticed.

I feel worse for dreadlockera, who apparently got "riped." Sounds painful! :lol:

I just have one thing to say about the comment that we will not have a 4000 yrd passer. I do think we have an uphill battle with the passing game, but it is still possible to reach that goal. It all depends on how AJ , and the team gell. It is not beyond reason that we could see a huge differance with AJ, Boston,and no Norv .Dolfanreal69

the way defenses played us the last two years tell the story on jf, run blitzing lbs safties within 5-10 yd off the ball, not worried about are down the field passing game.
jf is a smart qb more times than not will make the right read throw it to the right guy, but his arm strength and accuracy is that of a backup. plays the game great in his head just does'nt make enough plays on the field. defenses have loaded up on ricky and made jf beat them. winning pct or not 0 playoff games as you all know.

NathanHunt said:
It is time the JF haters realize Dan Marino Days are gone. We have a new system. And that system requires a game manager. We'll never see a 4,000 yard passer in this system. So, realize, you are trading an older JF for a younger JF. And, in 2 years you will be screaming and crying about the lack of the "Greatest Show on Grass (Turf)". It's not gonna happen.

Im not specifically harping on u hunt...................but the line " its time the jf haters realize the Dan Marino Days are gone " is getting really incredibly OLD..........im not speaking for anyone else but I in no way have dellusions of a " Marino Resurection ".........that has nothing to do with why I HATE jf..........his passion for inconsistency(among other things) is why I hate jf.

"So realize u are trading an older jf for a younger jf".................. now i am specifically harping on u.............that comment is rather uninformed and leads me to believe that u have not done ur research on feeley...........velocity and accuracy are just a few things that make feeley an upgrade...........please don't say that fiedler had either cause he didn't..........there have been plenty of testimonials by fans and nfl personal saying that feeley has nice velocity and accuracy. Notice I didn't say GREAT just nice.........that is something jf never had nor will.

You are absolutley right that all are system needs is a game manager............jf fiedler was clearly anything but.........on the other hand feeley i believe feeley has the right tools to thrive in this offense(o-line??) Something jf could never achieve.

So I beg u......please don't equate jf and ajf as one in the same before ajf has even played a down in miami..........on the other hand jf has played plenty of downs and has never been able to just be freakin consistent........as a result I HATE jf and want him to be at the most the back up.

NathanHunt said:
His heart and desire to win games for this organization maintained stability for our franchise's reputation until a complete regime change could occur. He was the calm presence during the stormy night.

One other thing...........I was never "calm" when fiedler dropped back........and I especially was never "calm" when he was floating the ball over wide open wr.......resulting in chambers n company to get hammerd after bailing out out jf time and time again.

NathanHunt and AceOfSpades, thanks for the great posts.....I feel riped now!:D

inFINSible said:
NathanHunt and AceOfSpades, thanks for the great posts.....I feel riped now!:D

Forgive me infinsible......but I don't know what ur post meant????

Its been along day today.........im at work, no sales.... :cry: brains a little fried

The Debate is going to go back and forth all season, when the season is over if AJ plays well half the board will be told you so, and vice versa.

Truthfully I liked Jay and give him a lot of credit, but I would like to see what this team could do with someone that might be a little better. I was hoping last year Griese would be the guy,(he might have been if the OL was better who knows), I am willing to give AJ a try now because he is there now, but when I look at AJ I see another Jay as of right now, his stats aren't very impressive, he isn't as mobile as Jay(12 rushes for 6 yds), he has thrown an INT in every game he played in 02, and only had one more TD then INT.

Hopefully as a starter he can settle in and become the next come from nowhere QB, I will wait for the season to make final judgement.

I wouldn't mind Collins here if they could get him and have them fight it out in traing camp, I wouldn't mind Couch either for the right price. What's going to happen in training camp is one of two things, AJ is handed the starting job which would be the same thing that happened with Jay, or AJ doesn't beat out Jay and that really wouldn't be a good sign.

TheBostonBomber said:
Forgive me infinsible......but I don't know what ur post meant????

Its been along day today.........im at work, no sales.... :cry: brains a little fried
I was complimenting the exchange between the two posters.....and using a typo that dreadlockera made....I'm not sure what "riped" means either...:dunno: ;)

Back
Top Bottom