Feeley Will be Fine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley Will be Fine

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In light of all the bad news this offseason, I thought I'd get back to the business of playing football. Obviously, it takes many things for a football team to be successful, but no position is as important as QB. We can discuss problems at O-line, needing a good 3rd receiver, etc, but this season will probably come down to one thing, the success or failure of A.J. Feeley.

I'm still optimistic about A.J. Feeley and I believe he will have a good season, but not without growing pains. I pulled this old article off of FOX to remind us about A.J. and help make us feel a little optimistic again about this season.

This article was written by Brian DeLucia.............

With Feeley, the Dolphins have a quarterback who is tough and well-built. He was also coached by Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia. Reid along with three assistants — Brad Childress, Marty Morhinweg, Pat Shurmur — are known for their work with quarterbacks. Perhaps no other current staff in the NFL can coach the quarterback position better than the Eagles.

Feeley has a good head on his shoulders for a young quarterback. Another good sign is that he stepped into the stretch drive for the Eagles in 2002 and they still came away with the No. 1 seed going into the postseason. Feeley shows a good feel for the game — especially when he finds his groove. He makes good decisions and knows how to get rid of the ball quickly. Feeley has some things he needs to work out yet and that will come with more time on the field — especially when it comes to finding a rhythm down the field and trusting his touch putting balls over linebackers and past corners on fade routes.

Feeley steps into a new environment with Miami. So things will be different and there will be some growing pains perhaps.

But the Dolphins will spend the rest of their off-season building up the offensive line and finding another target in the passing game to put Feeley in a position to succeed. And having Ricky Williams at running back isn't a bad thing — if he has the holes to run through next season.

He may be fine. But it is a huge gamble.

Feely has 13 games since his high school year. 8 college and 5 pro.

The Pro games he is credited with perserving for the Eagles all came against losing teams. That year he lost to the Giants who were not dominant at all.
He threw a pick in every game.

Feeley is extremely unproven even at the college level.

No one knows what we are going to get, but it was a huge gamble at a time when this team needed certainty. I hope he brings it come Sundays.

With all the media at Ricky,Boston, and OC this might take a lil pressure of Feeley a bit

I hope you are right. I must admit though, as the offseason rolls into camp(s), regardless of who is under center (and this is the painfull part) even if it's Fiedler, I feel they will have a better chance due to the players around them than they had last year. Knowing full well that Fiedler cannot (and will not) get us deep into the playoffs, I am glad he is still here as a contigency plan at QB. With the other changes being made on the offense, I think our backup plan could produce as many wins as we had last year if not more.

I am always amazed how everybody gets so excited about hot college prospects, such as Rivers or Manning, who have never played a single pro game and then slam dunk a player like A.J. Feeley who has had excellent coaching at the professional level for 3 years and won 4 games in the NFL. I don't give a damn who he beat, he still played well enough to beat NFL teams. Let's also remember that not much was expected of AJ when he started those games. Basically, they just told him to not screw up. With the Dolphins, he will be given the full support and expectations of a starter - huge difference.

Bottom line - Feeley has what it takes to be successful in this league and has the weapons and coaching support (Trestman) to be effective. He just needs time and experience. As fans, we should support him the same way we would support, say Rivers if he was a Dolphin. In other words, he's going to screw up because you have to look at him as a Rookie, but he's got the talent to be a longtime QB for us. We should embrace him and give him a chance.

I agree,i still have no problem letting him have the job. I want someone besides Jay to start. I just hope he is better.

I gotta wonder.
If by the end of the season they decided to get help at QB. So they bring Feely and at first they proclaim as a Starter. And we already know what Fiedler can do. He's been here for 4 years.

Why split the reps. I mean that's gonna hold back Feely's progress. If you're gonna risk the whole season in this guy, you gotta help him the most you can.

lereux said:
I gotta wonder.
If by the end of the season they decided to get help at QB. So they bring Feely and at first they proclaim as a Starter. And we already know what Fiedler can do. He's been here for 4 years.

Why split the reps. I mean that's gonna hold back Feely's progress. If you're gonna risk the whole season in this guy, you gotta help him the most you can.

My main concern is that they will wait too long to name a starter. If Feeley is to be the starter, he will need reps with the first team offense.

The Pro games he is credited with perserving for the Eagles all came against losing teams.

In december, since the Fiedler era started, we often have trouble putting away even the losing teams...we also have trouble staying close with the winning teams, where Feeley's Eagles lost against the Giants because of a missed field goal, if it were the Dolphins, we would have been down by 21 points when we missed that field goal.

I am always amazed how everybody gets so excited about hot college prospects, such as Rivers or Manning, who have never played a single pro game and then slam dunk a player like A.J. Feeley who has had excellent coaching at the professional level for 3 years and won 4 games in the NFL. I don't give a damn who he beat, he still played well enough to beat NFL teams.

Also keep in mind that those facts alone make him no better right now, than Damon Huard.

ckparrothead said:
In december, since the Fiedler era started, we often have trouble putting away even the losing teams...we also have trouble staying close with the winning teams, where Feeley's Eagles lost against the Giants because of a missed field goal, if it were the Dolphins, we would have been down by 21 points when we missed that field goal.

Amen!! 2002 game against the Vikings, anyone?? The Eagles lost that game because David Akers, one of the best kickers in the game, missed a chip-shot field goal. What are the odds??

He may be fine. But it is a huge gamble.

Feely has 13 games since his high school year. 8 college and 5 pro.

The Pro games he is credited with perserving for the Eagles all came against losing teams. That year he lost to the Giants who were not dominant at all.
He threw a pick in every game.

Feeley is extremely unproven even at the college level.

No one knows what we are going to get, but it was a huge gamble at a time when this team needed certainty. I hope he brings it come Sundays.

I totally agree.

To me it's pretty simple..All Feeley has to do is put up better numbers than these.

comp-179, att-314, yds-2138, %-57.0, td-11, int-13

Seems possible ..Maybe I'm oversimplifying it.

How did R.Lucas and B.Griese do when they came in during our stretch run ? Feeley completed 20 passes of 20 yds or more during those five games, while our qb's last year completed 22 during 16 games...I willing to bet that Speilman and all the fans in Philly including that coaching staff knows this kid is going to be realy, realy good..In so far from what I've seen, I think once Feeley get's offense down, he is going to be a threat..

I got faith in him, but being the blind-optimist that I am, I think everything is for the best.

The guy obviously ain't bad, he did beat some NFL teams and went 4-1 for the Eagles, who didn't exactly have a talented WR pool. Sure, you could argue that their defense won the game for them, but remember - we have a damned good defense (sketchy at times sure). Feeley has upside, he's proven that he can win games, he has a strong arm, and most importantly to most fans...his name isn't Jay Fiedler.

Give him Chambers, Boston, and McMichael catching and Ricky running, as well as a good o-line, which we're developing, and I see him becoming a very productive QB.

Back
Top Bottom