feeley's deep ball? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

feeley's deep ball?

You need time to throw deep; a luxury our QBs didnt have last year.

AJ has the arm but he seems to throw too many rope type of passes and the trajectory was very low which made his throws easy to bat down or deflect.

I didnt see him lob or feather the ball very much.

dolfreak said:
I was at that game 49er game, it was definitely not a "Deep" ball. What that play proved to me is that Feeley has Great touch and precision just like the pass he threw to Derrius against the Patriots. The ball he threw to Chambers was perfectly placed on Chris' outside shoulder and the one to Thompson was perfectly placed on his inside shoulder. If you want an example of a good Feely deep pass you need to go way back to his Eagles days. I believe he threw like a 45 yard strike to Cecil Martin in a game. Give him time this year and I think he'll be OK, he wont underthrow you like Fiedler if thats what everyone worries about.

Yeah I guess you are right on not deep but more of a touch pass.

Which just makes me stick more and more to he didn't have enough time to throw deep.

Nappy Roots said:
Feeley has the arm. but on some of the longer balls, his ball flutters like a weak armed QBs deep ball. i dont know the deal with that, but some of his deep balls were terrible. and it hasnt nothing to do with his arm strength, everyone knows this.
Yeah, I was going to point this out too. It seems like many times the ball fluttered out on deep balls and also on some outs and other throws where he had to muscle it in. It appeared much like he lost his grip totally on the ball. I have no reason why this happened, but it seemed to happen enough times to consider it an issue. Maybe he has small hands, maybe it was Seth's butt sweat ... who knows, but I think it needs to be addressed.

Has Feeley ever been a "long ball" passer?

I don't ever remember him throwing a TD over 50 yards in Philly or Miami.

Did he do it in college? I though I remember it being a short passing game, like quick dumps and stuff?

Anyone got any stats?

Fuuny thing was that Sage threw a deep ball the first game he started. It was a 70+ yarder to Chris Chambers. Feeley didn't complete a pass over 40 yards....why because he sucks!

chambers84 said:
Fuuny thing was that Sage threw a deep ball the first game he started. It was a 70+ yarder to Chris Chambers. Feeley didn't complete a pass over 40 yards....why because he sucks!
No time in the pocket means no long balls thrown.

The offensive line was pathetic.

Feeley didn't seem to be on the same page as his recievers in terms of routes run and cuts etc...

I can remember a number of his INT's where the reciever didn't look like he cut soon enough, or wasn't looking for the ball, or didn't RETURN to get the ball...

feeley will be alot better with a better system and better coaching now he has our oc who is great he will help him with a couple of things.

People are talking about 40 yard passes. Well no better time to bring up 40 times for players. In a flat out sprint with no change in direction a fast reciever needs 4.3 seconds to run the 40. More if they change direction. I dont remember too many times when AJ had 5 seconds to throw the ball last year.

I do remember watchin Brady though have 5 seconds to throw against Miami, many of times. As soon as pressure was applied to him he made one of the biggest bone head moves I have ever seen. He looked worse than AJ on that play.

Not saying AJ is better or even close to the QB Brady is but if we dont protect our QB's they will never reach their potential!

All ive got to say is Offensive Line. Offensive being the word. Feeley has the arm. we'll see it this coming season.

chambers84 said:

Dude, did you actually watch that game against Baltimore or are you just making that MORONIC statement based on the stats you read for that game?? Sage barely threw that ball beyond 15 yards to a wide open Chambers who then ran 60+ yards for the TD! It's unbelieveable what people concoct to cement their hatred for Feeley!!!!:fire:

chub said:
People are talking about 40 yard passes. Well no better time to bring up 40 times for players. In a flat out sprint with no change in direction a fast reciever needs 4.3 seconds to run the 40. More if they change direction. I dont remember too many times when AJ had 5 seconds to throw the ball last year.

realistically, the ball should be gone in the pocket within 3.5 to 4 seconds. plus, the qb throws it to where they are going to be, not where they are, so the 40 time thing is irrelevant. bottom line: he's not a mad bomber. he's a wco qb- he has outstanding arm strength on short to intermediate routes, but loses velocity on deep routes. he also has a mechanical flaw in that he throws the ball at about three-quarters, which probably contributes to velocity loss on deep throws. bates and co. began to tailor the offense to fit him at the end of the season, which is why he was averaging 6 ypc and not breaking 200 yards in 40 attempts. given linehan's penchant for the vertical game, i don't know if aj has the deep ball capability for his offense.

chub said:

I do remember watchin Brady though have 5 seconds to throw against Miami, many of times. As soon as pressure was applied to him he made one of the biggest bone head moves I have ever seen. He looked worse than AJ on that play.

Not saying AJ is better or even close to the QB Brady is but if we dont protect our QB's they will never reach their potential!
I agree with your conclusion, just not the logic to get there. The 40 time would be relevant if there was no time elapsed between when the QB released the ball and when the receiver caught the ball. But, the ball can be released long before for a deep ball. What I'm getting at is that it wouldn't take a full 5 seconds before the QB had to release the ball considering the time in the ball is in the air.

Phishstix said:
realistically, the ball should be gone in the pocket within 3.5 to 4 seconds. plus, the qb throws it to where they are going to be, not where they are, so the 40 time thing is irrelevant. bottom line: he's not a mad bomber. he's a wco qb- he has outstanding arm strength on short to intermediate routes, but loses velocity on deep routes. he also has a mechanical flaw in that he throws the ball at about three-quarters, which probably contributes to velocity loss on deep throws. bates and co. began to tailor the offense to fit him at the end of the season, which is why he was averaging 6 ypc and not breaking 200 yards in 40 attempts. given linehan's penchant for the vertical game, i don't know if aj has the deep ball capability for his offense.

Beat me to the punch.

Back
Top Bottom