Ferguson praises Tim Howard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ferguson praises Tim Howard

Originally posted by Dolfan02

This has me thinking big. Regarding powerhouse club teams from overseas scouting and possibly buying MLS players: Is it a good thing? Or a bad thing?

PROS:
1. MLS is recognized as a serious league producing great talent for the global sport of soccer. 2. Americans are taken more seriously as soccer players esp. with the Europeans. 3. Americans get better playing overseas (hopefully). 4. MLS gets money from these clubs enabling them to continue the league and make profits.

CONS:
1. MLS never becomes a true powerhouse league if talent and Americans keep leaving which in turn doesn't allow it to become big with the public. 2. MLS will not compete with the giant leagues of England, Spain, France, Holland, Germany, Italy, and Argentina. 4. MLS' teams will revolve around producing good players and then selling them overseas for large prices as the only means of generating large profits.

I don't like that concept AT ALL. Not a good idea in the long run. At least, Freddy Adu is starting to reverse the concept a bit. My best wishes for Freddy to elevate soccer with the American public in a grand way.

It is good for soccer in this country if Americans play in Europe. When they go abroad and play against better competition, they become better players, which will make our national team better. A better national team will help the league. Also, if Americans start to have success in Europe, kids in this country will want to play soccer more because they will see other people from their country doing well in the world's best league. However, soccer is already one of the most played sports by kids in this country.

If our best players stay in MLS, they will never fully develop and they won't become as good as they can become.

Also, Freddy Adu signed with MLS because he didn't want to leave home. Adu will be in Europe by the time he is 21.

MLS can never become a powerhouse until it generates more a lot more fans. I think the best way to get more fans to MLS games is for our national team to have success and for soccer specific stadiums to be built.

Also, MLS has to make serious changes. They have to get rid of the maximum salary, which turns off many players (it is only 275K, players can easily make more abroad), raise the salary cap by a lot, let teams control players contracts, and let the players have a union.

Back
Top Bottom