Fiedler Drop back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Drop back

Chambers34Phins

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I noticed he drops back a heck of a lot quicker then Brian, and his drops are a slight bit deeper. I guess this works, because he can see the angles he is being attacked from by the defenders, unlike brian getting blind sided. So even if smith messes up, jay will see it coming and likely avoid it.

I also noticed the offense runs a lot quicker with jay, it seems a lot more fast pased, and better things happen. He doesn't have the better arm, but he is a better all around qb.

agree. i notice he drops back with shoulders more square to the line than BG does. another reason he sees more and can scramble to avoid the rush. unlike BG who even if he sees the rush , cant avoid it!

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
I noticed he drops back a heck of a lot quicker then Brian, and his drops are a slight bit deeper. I guess this works, because he can see the angles he is being attacked from by the defenders, unlike brian getting blind sided. So even if smith messes up, jay will see it coming and likely avoid it.

I also noticed the offense runs a lot quicker with jay, it seems a lot more fast pased, and better things happen. He doesn't have the better arm, but he is a better all around qb.

Actually, Griese's 7 step drop is deeper than Jay's. This got him into trouble when there was a speed rusher on the outside. Jays 7 step drop takes him 9 yards back from the line of scrimmage.

Griese's 7 step drop was taking him back anywhere from 10 to 11 yards behind the Line of scrimmage. Griese was taking a longer stride and slower drop. He got into trouble when he was not ready to deliver the ball or did not step up to avoid the outside rush.

Fiedler seems to be ready to step up and throw the ball immediately after the deeper drop. This does hurt him a little on the deeper throws because he may be delivering the ball slightly early...but, those throws are low percentage by definition.

Are you sure? Just to me it does not seem griese takes that deep of a drop, he surely does do it slower. It doesn't have to be a speed rusher, any rusher gets to brian.

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Are you sure? Just to me it does not seem griese takes that deep of a drop, he surely does do it slower. It doesn't have to be a speed rusher, any rusher gets to brian.

Yes. All of Griese's fumbles (except the 1 rollout) came when he did a 7 step drop. I noticed that he was getting too deep and the DE had a better angle to get the sack. With a shallower setup...the LT could have just pushed the sacker beyond the QB. With Griese's longer stride...it placed him outside of that protected zone when facing speed DE's.

Both QB's do the normal 3, 5, & 7 step drops.

Also, Griese sets his feet and stands in one place after his drop. Fiedler normaly stays on the balls of his feet and moves around adjusting his position in the pocket by stepping up, if he isn't ready to fire immediately following his drop.

Griese gets back WAY too deep and just stands there waiting to be leveled. He doesn't seem to have any peripheral vision or even HEARING. I know people say you can't blame a QB for taking a sack from the blindside but how many times have you seen a QB curl up to protect the ball and his body an instant BEFORE taking a hit from the blindside??

Fiedler is from Dartmouth.. He's a smart guy and knows how to use his peripheral vison and quickness to slip away from DE's..

Only if he was above average in accuracy..

JF is quicker in his drop back and also keeps his head moving around so he sees the defense, where they are coming from and how to escape it. BG just seems to be slower and unaware of his surroundings!

Does anyone remember how some of the receivers were saying that Brian got the ball off quicker than Fiedler after the San Diego game? Why is that? Was it because the receivers were so open against that SD defense?

Originally posted by muddaconch
Does anyone remember how some of the receivers were saying that Brian got the ball off quicker than Fiedler after the San Diego game? Why is that? Was it because the receivers were so open against that SD defense?

YES!!! Everyone should just erase the San Diego game from there memory. I was at the game, in the stands and the receivers were not open... they were UNCOVERED. There were two or three wide receivers WIDE open on every play. It wasn't just seperation, but defenders were not within 8 yards of the receivers. I think the Chargers were just drained from everything going on in San Diego. Hell, I was and I was only there 2 days and didn't have to worry about my family/home.

I still think that Jay isnt the QB to lead us. He is the best QB we have now though and I will gadly welcome him back into my heart (for the time being) and hope he does well.

Griese has shown that although he has the better arm he isnt the better Quarterback. I dont think he is a leader like fiedler is and I dont think that he holds the teams respect.I also noticed that Griese dropped back alot farther but he doesnt have his head on a swivvle. He will pick a spot and continue looking there so he doesnt see the rush coming.

Fiedler on the other hand who has a shorter drop looks all around. Lets all just hope that we can continue on into dallas with this wave and kick the snot out of em. I am getting really tired of all these 1-2-3 point games that we have had this year. Not t0o mention the Overtime games.

Its amazing though how good spirited the skins fans are up here now though to me (with the upcoming dallas game I think they are affraid to anger me, like that would make the dolphins play bad) and stuff.

with our line the way it is maybe fiedler is the "better" qb because of his mobility........but we've seen what jay can do over the last couple of years and where has it gotten us.......we need to upgrade at qb and the o line........then were banging at the super bowl door..........it makes me sick to see the pats so high in the polls.......when I know we had them by the throat........twice!.......

Back
Top Bottom