Film Study: Poling And Armstrong | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Film Study: Poling And Armstrong

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Poling2.jpg

The fifth/sixth/seventh rounds are boring for some and typically not full of the "sexy" picks that fans tend to enjoy. Although they are not "sexy" they are important pieces for teams, especially when they are developmental players and special teams additions.
Some players were lost in free agency that played a crucial role in depth and special teams. Neville Hewitt was a solid depth linebacker and a special teams player. Michael Thomas was one of the special teams captains, that will be missed. With that said, I feel as if the Dolphins did a great job of filling those voids and giving themselves developmental prospects by drafting Ohio linebacker Quentin Poling and Southern Mississippi corner back, Cornell Armstrong.
Let's take a look at the developmental ability of these two players and how that translates to special teams.
http://www.dolphinstalk.com/2018/05/film-study-poling-and-armstrong.html

Omg. Have to hope Raekwon is done with special teams.

I know a lot of knowledgeable fin fans defended the move by saying a 2 down mlb always plays special teams, but I still think it was a stupid move especially with our lack of depth at lb and 40 to 50 other players we had at the time who could use that as a chance to earn a roster spot.

I know a lot of knowledgeable fin fans defended the move by saying a 2 down mlb always plays special teams, but I still think it was a stupid move especially with our lack of depth at lb and 40 to 50 other players we had at the time who could use it to earn a roster spot.

I actually didn't hear that.

I heard that rookies play on special teams.

Nice read. Hopefully they are hungry and ready to fight for a spot on the team. I hope Poling can replace Hull, that would be solid.

I would say sure to get them some playing time. But the rookie who is expected to be a starter is going to get reps on the field and probably doesn't need to be risked on special teams also.

I totally agree.

That was just the reason I heard (and disagreed with) why he was on that special team.

You all act like miami is the only team in the NFL to do that. Most do.

Just because they've been doing it doesn't make it smart. And then they'll keep having headlines like "
NFL Competition Committee May Recommend Eliminating Kickoffs Because of Injuries"

Just because they've been doing it doesn't make it smart. And then they'll keep having headlines like "
NFL Competition Committee May Recommend Eliminating Kickoffs Because of Injuries"
First, they're looking at eliminating kickoffs because of concussions, not knee injuries. Second, he was hurt covering a punt which they're not changing.

First, they're looking at eliminating kickoffs because of concussions, not knee injuries. Second, he was hurt covering a punt which they're not changing.

The NFL isn't eliminating either.

The NFL is aware of the heightened risks of punt returns as well. Troy Vincent on the Dan Patrick show also mentions punt returns along with kick returns as being what the data shows as the highest injuries sources in the game. Around the 1 minutes mark:

While concussions are the big ticket term thrown around, they are hardly the only severe injury sustained.

All the data points to players running down the field full speed to smash into each other leads to the highest injury risks. (Yeah, I know McMillan was a "non-contact" injury. Strangely those happen too when people are running full speed at each other)

Anyways my point is, just because rookies are often thrown into special teams, doesn't mean you HAVE to make rookies cover special teams.

I like the aggressiveness of the CB, hopefully he can come along and contribute besides being a fluff piece on special teams.

Back
Top Bottom