Final 53 thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Final 53 thoughts

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
I know it's early ... in fact it's way early. But when looking at the training camp roster it's not hard to get a good idea on the final 53 roster. I would say 41 to 43 positions are locked barring a bad injury or trade etc. Some key positions that will determine the final spots are as follows IMO.

First, QB. Will the coaches decide to keep 2 or 3? Obviously keeping 2 frees up a spot in another position

Second, WR. Will we keep 5, 6, or even 7? The battle comes down between Matthews, Binns, both Williams, and Hazel. IMO we keep 6 with Matthews and Binns being #'s 5 and 6.

Third, TE. Will we keep 3 or 4? Clay, Sims, Egnew seem to be in the lead. Will Hoskins shine enough to stick or will it be Lynch?

Fourth, LB. Will we keep 6 or 7? Depends how well they can play ST? We may have 7 stick.

Fifth, DB. Seven are locks. Jones, Grimes, Taylor, Finnegan, Delmas, Wilson, Davis. That basically leaves one CB and one Safety to make it. Will Aikens be versatile enough like Wilson to make the roster? Jalil Brown?

To me those final dozen spots will be determined in large from these positions.

I will be shocked if aikens doesn't make the 53 as a 4th round pick and worst case get a red shirt year...IMO the last corner spot comes down to Davis or brown barring an injury to another current lock...those being grimes finnegan Taylor wilson

Davis doesn't tackle enough where I think you'd keep him for specials...if brown does that could separate the two...then again aikens could be a specials guy from the get given his tackling...but I'm betting on no injuries in the top 4 him being inactive on game day

Its nice to have the boundary and slot versatility we have in the top 4 though I know that much...

I will be shocked if aikens doesn't make the 53 as a 4th round pick and worst case get a red shirt year...IMO the last corner spot comes down to Davis or brown barring an injury to another current lock

Aikens has a real shot. He has the size of a safety and the background and speed of a corner. We know this staff loves versatile players.

Waaaaay too early. I will make my 53 man prediction later on…I have beaten Omar Kelly the last three years…yeah, it is nothing to brag about. LOL.

Too early though.

I predict this will be one of our more heart breaking cut downs in a long while, and some of cuts will be quickly snatched up. And that is a good sign.

Early call, we keep six wide receivers and three tight ends. I think Matthews and Hazel make the team with Binns the odd man out. At tight end it's Clay, Lynch and Egnew.

it comes down to special teams.

how valuable are you?

thats why Landry is a lock aside from his WR play. He is set on the coverage teams to smack the **** out of someone.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

and another thing...any rookie can be played with on the PS. May make the team on day one....only to be cut and put on PS on day 6.

it comes down to special teams.

how valuable are you?

thats why Landry is a lock aside from his WR play. He is set on the coverage teams to smack the **** out of someone.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

and another thing...any rookie can be played with on the PS. May make the team on day one....only to be cut and put on PS on day 6.

Landry would be a lock without that.

Look for them to keep 4 TE's this year. They only keep 6 WR's if one is Thigpen or another WR takes his retuns job away. ST will play a HUGE role in the final 8-10 roster spots.

Look for them to keep 4 TE's this year. They only keep 6 WR's if one is Thigpen or another WR takes his retuns job away. ST will play a HUGE role in the final 8-10 roster spots.

Agree, special teams were a BIG disappointment in blocking and tackling. Add in Jordan, who may have been the best, missing 4 games. Matthews did not play well in ST's last year, and needs to improve. I believe some of the rookies will help a lot but, roster spots will be won or lost here, as Philbin has mentioned.

I don't see anyone beating out Thigpen but, we shall see in preseason games.

QB: Tannehill, Moore, Devlin
RB: Miller, Moreno, Thomas, Darkwa
WR: Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Landry, Williams, Hazel
TE: Clay, Egnew, Lynch
OL: Albert, Colledge, Pouncey, Thomas, James, Garner, Fox, Smith, Turner

DE: Wake, Vernon, Jordan, Shelby, Fede
DT: Starks, Mitchell, Odrick, Francis, Johnson
LB: Ellerbe, Misi, Wheeler, Jenkins, Trusnik, Tripp
CB: Grimes, Taylor, Finnigan, Brown, Aikens
S: Jones, Delmas, Wilson, Thomas

ST: Sturgis, Fields, Denney

Back