FinHeaven Unleashes Draft Central | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FinHeaven Unleashes Draft Central

To each his own I guess. Certainly makes me feel good if I see the phins grab Starks or Dockett. Dockett another La'Roi Glover and Starks another Darrell Russell, way it sounds from Boomer's analyses.

Cane, I had as much fun not seeing Wilfork in FSU's backfield. :)

I'm surprised you rate Olshansky that high. He has to prove, well at least to me, that he's more than just a workout guy. If he can do that, then he can be a player. But I would be scared of rating him above players like Edwards and Tubbs and Lavalais.

The thing with the Canes DL is that they rotate 8 strong almost each and every year. Wilfork didn't have as many chances to get into the backfield as Dockett yet they both ended up with the same result against their respective teams. The reason I rate Olshansky that high is because of his potential, I like him to a D.J. Williams, who has all the physical tools just needs to refining to become a force. I have said many times that D.J. is overrated because of his physical skills, yet his football sense is where he is lacking. Olshansky is in the same boat, I think they'll take some time to become good players at this level.

Williams is an athlete playing linebacker. He needs to become a player to fulfil that potential. My concern is that what he's lacking isn;t the stuff you can teach.

As for Wilfork not getting enough chances, surely he should be making more of an impact rotating in and out of the fame and staying fresh than Dockett. This is a guy who had more tackles behind the line than anyone in FSU history - Jamal Reynolds, Ron Simmons, Peter Boulware, Derrick Brooks, Andre Wadsworth, Roland Seymour, etc.

Surely you can do the math boomer, if a guy is in the game more often he has a better chance of getting in the backfield, fresh or not. You can not get in the backfield sitting on the bench. If there's a player that can do that, sign me up for his bandwagon.

I absolutely can do the math Cane, but what I'm saying is, that Wilfork is fresher longer and therefore should be able to make more impact as he's rotating in and out, rather than Dockett, midly undersized, who is on the field the entire time. Yes of course he has more opportunity as he's on the field longer, but if you are DL coming in and out, with Vince's rep, you should be making big plays all the time.

The thing that's good about being mildly undersized is that you don't tire as easily, i.e. no extra weight holding you down and generally makes you more sluggish in the heat. Dockett has that over Wilfork, he can definately stay in the game longer because of his weight. I remember watching fsu play last year (not just the miami game, I watched them all) and thinking to myself 'does this guy ever make a play (last year)?' Everytime I watched him he was getting manhandled because of his size, the only thing he does well is get off those blocks as the running back is running through the lane to get a hand on him (usually trips him up). I am not impressed with his pass rushing ability and the only time I saw him getting sacks were because the coverage was good downfield (which did not happen that often last year IMO). I think you were correct with your first analysis of him, 'overrated' that word sums him up in a nutshell. Wilfork may not be as good as his rep would indicate but as to who is more overrated that would be your 'boy.

And just in case anyone wants my analysis of Wilfork vs. Dockett's seasons stats here it is.
Vince Wilfork - 31 Solo Tackles, 33 Assisted Tackles,
Tackles for Loss - 11.5 for 41 yards, Sacks - 6 for 29 yards,
QB Hurries - 20, Forced Fumbles - 1, Recovered Fumbles - 1

Darnell Dockett - 30 Solo Tackles, 25 Assisted Tackles,
Tackles for Loss - 17 for 42 yards, Sacks - 1.5 for 15 yards
QB Hurries - 16, Forced Fumbles - 2, Recovered Fumbles - 0

So lets look at that tackles for loss you were bragging about Dockett having, at first look you'd think wow 17 TFL, then you realize it's only for 42 yards, an average of 2.47 yards in the backfield when he made the play (is 2.47 yards really in the backfield?) See my post about the just getting off blocks at the end of the play and getting a hand on the rusher. Next we look at his sack numbers, 1 and a half sacks for the whole season, with 16 QB Hurries. Meaning every 10.667 times he gets to hurry the QB, he makes one sack. That says to me that he either is too slow to get to the QB which I don't think is the case or he gets faked out when he gets to hurry the QB.

Now lets look at Wilforks numbers, 11.5 Tackles for Loss for 41 yards. Meaning he was 3.57 yards in the backfield when he made the tackle. Wilforks sack numbers are 6 sacks every 20 times he's in the backfield meaning every 3.33 times he gets to hurry the QB he makes a sack. That says to me that he stays disciplined and does not get faked out too much in the backfield.

There is a famous saying, "Lies, damned lies and statistics." You quote your stats till you're blue in the face, I'll go with what I see on tape.

I did base that on what I saw, then I went back and looked at statistics to see if my opinions of him were right. Low and behold my opinions on his play were right, he is not a good pass rusher. He does one thing really well and that's get off of blocks once the lineman is locked on. I tend to think that a guy that's multidimensial who can play the run and the pass is much, much more valuable.

Oh one more thing. If you think I'm the only one who notices stats or quotes them, I offer this to you "This is a guy who had more tackles behind the line than anyone in FSU history - Jamal Reynolds, Ron Simmons, Peter Boulware, Derrick Brooks, Andre Wadsworth, Roland Seymour, etc."-Boomer
If you're going to offer stats as basis for why he's not overrated why can't I use stats to prove that he is?

Oh and Muck, you can move this part of the thread between Boomer and I about Wilfork and Dockett if you wish so it's not on your draft central thread at the top. It's related to his draft analysis so I guess it belongs here but you can be the judge of that ok? Thanks in Advance.

Just to keep you updated, I have sent Muck the OLB's and safeties. Just corners to do now, yippee.

Back
Top Bottom