'Fins fleeced Texans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Fins fleeced Texans

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
From PFT-

"Reaction to the trade of fullback Deon Dyer from the Dolphins to the Texans is that Miami got the far better end of the deal -- even though all that the 'Fins received was a conditional seventh-rounder.

Dyer has a reputation for reporting to camp overweight, and one AFC insider called him an "underachieving turd."

Dyer has missed the Dolphins' first two preseason games with a groin injury. Word is that Dyer wouldn't have made the team in Miami even if he was healthy.

Miami will receive a seventh-round pick for Dyer if he is on the active roster in Houston for any of the Texans' games in 2003"

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Yeah I saw that. But like the quote in Muck's signature says "I could take a dump and get a sixth rounder for it"

Still, kudos to the coaches. They got a 7th from the Bucs last year for OT Cornell Green even though we were definitely gonna cut him. We used that pick and another to move up to get LB Corey Jenkins...who rumor has it, could challenge Greenwood for the start by the end of the year.

Now it looks like we've got a 7th on the way from the Texans and probably a 7th on the way from either the Jets or Bills for Scott McGarrahan (my feeling is it will be the Jets, they are considering luring Victor Green out of retirement for help at safety so you know they would love to get their hands on McG, and also I'm sure Westhoff would love to get his hands on McG). Find another team like the Panthers willing to do it and once again we could package a couple 7ths together into a 6th to pick up some guy we've had our eye on for months like we did Corey Jenkins.

ProFootballTalk? Funny how one goes from being one of the best blocking FB's in the NFL to being an underachieving turd. How many players in this sport come into camp over weight? He is being traded because of our offensive philosophy not because he is an underachieving turd.

I can see the point of being an "underachieving" since he was a 4th round pick on a team that didn't have a 1rd choice, but he was draft when Gailey was here. Gailey uses FB only to block for is RB, so he isn't really fitting now with Turner.

But when Turner goes, will we bring back a blocking FB ?

Dyer came into camp overweight every single year and started off in the doghouse. I'd call that underachiveing. :)

Gailey used the FB exclusively for blocking. And yet Konrad remained the unchallenged starter. I'd call that underachieving.

Dyer was never one of the best blocking FBs in the NFL. Simply put, he is overrated. Dyer has more power than Konrad. But it doesn't do any good because too often he misses his block/blocks the wrong man. And I haven't seen him blow anybody up in years.

Westhoff said on the mike and the Maddog show out of New York that"right now were waiting on a guy thats about to get released and so we'll probably look at him" he was talking about McGarrahan IMO and i don't like that...Trade him to detroit for 'past considerations':lol: :chuckle:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
We used that pick and another to move up to get LB Corey Jenkins...who rumor has it, could challenge Greenwood for the start by the end of the year.
I love stock piling picks for players we were going to cut anyways, but I think the rumor that Jenkins will start in front of Greenwood is unfounded, so far...

While showing a lot of potential, Jenkins is still very raw at the LB position. He doesn't look anywhere near ready to start in the next 2 weeks... He should be the top b/u for the OLB spots and get valuable experience off the bench and on ST this year. Maybe next year will be his year...

And at the same time, Greenwood is having a fine camp and playing as well as I can ever remember him playing. He's quietly been making plays all over the field; at the los and in coverage.

Oops, I hit preview and realized CK was talking about him starting next year... I agree!

Originally posted by fairbanksb
ProFootballTalk? Funny how one goes from being one of the best blocking FB's in the NFL to being an underachieving turd.

When exactly did he reach that plateau?
What really amazes me is that he became ....
"one of the best blocking FB's in the NFL" ....
riding the pine his whole career!
WOW, that is talent.

He played with Chan Gailey who's whole offensive philosophy is Run right, run left, run up the middle and he still could'nt unseat Rob Konrad who was known as more of a finesse FB. How was he one of the best Blocking FB's in the NFL?

Dyer will be a good fit for Houston who is trying to get a running game going. If he can get in shape and playing by game 4 he will help in getting their running game going and that should be worth a 7th to them.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
I can see the point of being an "underachieving" since he was a 4th round pick on a team that didn't have a 1rd choice, but he was draft when Gailey was here. Gailey uses FB only to block for is RB, so he isn't really fitting now with Turner.

But when Turner goes, will we bring back a blocking FB ?

That would happen only if we brought back a high school coach for an offensive coordinator.

Slap the coach in the face mode was on in that last comment.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

When exactly did he reach that plateau?
What really amazes me is that he became ....
"one of the best blocking FB's in the NFL" ....
riding the pine his whole career!
WOW, that is talent.

He played with Chan Gailey who's whole offensive philosophy is Run right, run left, run up the middle and he still could'nt unseat Rob Konrad who was known as more of a finesse FB. How was he one of the best Blocking FB's in the NFL?

Everyone seems to base all critique based on last years performance. When was it that Konrad became a finesse FB? What does finesse FB mean? He blocks with etiquette or what? Dyer did a good job under Chan. Neither Dyer or Konrad were in the backfield to catch passes. The subject of the thread was that we fleeced the Texans. I think Dyer will fit into that scheme and I don't think getting a 7th round pick could be considered fleecing. I also don't think that some unnamed insider should be calling him an under achieving turd. He is a blocking FB and never claimed to be anything else. We drafted him as a blocking FB. If he is such a turd, why did we resign him and why did Texas trade for him?

A conditional 7th is about as little compensation as you can get...

Originally posted by Dude
A conditional 7th is about as little compensation as you can get...

So maybe the Texans fleeced the Dolphins.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom