Fins next QB move is...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins next QB move is......

Coral Reefer

Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org
Reaction score
>>WHAT NEXT?
The Dolphins will look either for a veteran capable of starting in the event Feeley gets hurt or promote third-stringer Sage Rosenfels to the backup role and invest in a young quarterback.

If the Dolphins choose to sign a veteran backup, the team will consider Tennessee backup Billy Volek and New England backup Damon Huard -- a former Dolphin -- as candidates. Volek and Huard are scheduled to be free agents March 3.

The Dolphins might also opt to keep backup Brian Griese if he accepts a deep cut of his scheduled $5 million salary for 2004.....<<

The rest of this article can be found in the Miami Herald

How funny would it be if in addition to trading for Feeley the Fins sign Billy Volek! Volek is a guy they could have got to be in Feeley's position for no draft pick compensation at all. That would just be a classic move! :lol:

If the Fins FO does that then they will have proven that they are mentally challenged!

If you can belittle B. Griese enough to sign back for very cheap to fight it out with Sage for the backup spot, that IMO would be a good move. He's in limbo enough to sign for cheap. He's not a bad emergency option, better than bringing in someone like Kordell Stewart. Kitna would be a good vet acquisition but could we afford him?

As for what I really hope happens, I like the first situation in the above scenario. Promote Sage and invest in a young QB for the future IF we have that additional #1 pick. In addition to that I hope Sage shows he has what it takes and wins the starting job. Heck, he was ranked above Feeley in the same QB class in 2001 so he could have some talent hidden in there.

Back to bringing in Volek.... I think that's idiotic. We've already made our gamble on a backup. If they want to go with a roster of all young QB's with no vets that have started then they should opt for drafting a young QB if they get an additional #1 pick.

How about Feeley, Sage, Rivers?
Dangerous gamble but an intriguing one.

If we don't get that additional !st round pick then bring in a vet that has started in the NFL.

Feeley, Kitna, Sage?
Feeley, Sage, Griese?

Resigning Griese would probably be the cheapest option.
If they bring in Volek though..... let the laughing begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to say no way on rivers even if available. too much mud on the FO face. I would love BG to come back and battle feeley for the top spot. He got a bit of a raw deal last year. No to Volek we traded for a prettier version already:lol: . Perhaps thats why to pick was traded

Spielman studied the heck out of both Feeley and Volek and he came to the conclusion that AJ was the better guy.. I apologize, but I trust the judgement of the man who spent days going over tape of these guys then you... There will be no laughing. But Volek would be a great pickup regardless..

or even Mike mcmahon. i always said from the beginning that was a smart move to have two backup vets who are on the cusp to the next level. I just dont think alot of poeple would approve of it now based on big names. and the other thing is payment. how much do you pay volek with the same kind of experience? then you get a little controversy started.

I want Griese back if he will take a pay cut. We need someone in here with more than 5 games of starting experience, and Griese has that, and he knows the system.

Originally posted by SkapePhin
Spielman studied the heck out of both Feeley and Volek and he came to the conclusion that AJ was the better guy.. I apologize, but I trust the judgement of the man who spent days going over tape of these guys then you... There will be no laughing. But Volek would be a great pickup regardless..

It might not mean he was the better of the two, it might mean he was teh better fit for what we plan do to. WCO?

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I want Griese back if he will take a pay cut. We need someone in here with more than 5 games of starting experience, and Griese has that, and he knows the system.
:up:

Originally posted by SkapePhin

The question isn't whether Volek or Feeley is better.
It's the fact that neither Volek or Feeley are proven starters yet.
Both have talent according to many around the league.
The point here is that how smart is it to give up a 2nd round draft pick for one of them when the other could have come for free!
Both are a gamble as to whether they will be good or not.
For them to then bring in Volek on top of Feeley would just be a clear case of ineptitude.

At this point you have to go for a backup with experience in case the Feeley experiment fails.

Not for nothing, and I know there are a lot of BG haters out there, but how great would it be if he came in here and just caught fire. Only a few years in the league, 29 and a Griese. Another Super Bowl with Griese at the helm??? OOOHHHHH I have chills.

:allhail:

I know its not likly but neither is Rivers in Miami. BG being a Pro bowler again is more probable.

Originally posted by finfan54
or even Mike mcmahon. i always said from the beginning that was a smart move to have two backup vets who are on the cusp to the next level. I just dont think alot of poeple would approve of it now based on big names. and the other thing is payment. how much do you pay volek with the same kind of experience? then you get a little controversy started.

Exactly, we've already placed our bets on Feeley.
You've also got Sage who is young and was drafted ahead of Feeley. Then you bring in Volek who is another project with potential starting talent???

You could spend the whole dang year in the midst of a 3 way controversy with even coaches not knowing who the heck to go with!

At this point I feel you either bring in a grizzled vet backup or draft a QB if we get the additional #1.

my preference is for either Fiedler or Griese to come back for around 1 mil /year . Sounds like that is not happening for Jay, so hopefully Bob can convince Brian to stay at home for that price.

Damon Huard :nono: - he w/make a solid holder

Originally posted by dolphan39
my preference is for either Fiedler or Griese to come back for around 1 mil /year . Sounds like that is not happening for Jay, so hopefully Bob can convince Brian to stay at home for that price.

Damon Huard :nono: - he w/make a solid holder

Huard would be a disaster. I'll never forget his "deer caught in the headlights" look anytime a pass rusher got to within 10 feet of him.

Anyone know what the status on Kitna is and what his price may be???? I can't find anything on it.

Back
Top Bottom