Fins Sign Te Gavin Escobar | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Sign Te Gavin Escobar

I've always live Escobar. He hasn't had the NFL career I thought he might. He was a good pass catcher in college, but has turned into more of a blocking tightend in the NFL. He's not the answer to your long term seam threat, but he could replae Fasano's role. Not the blocker Fasano is, but he's an average backup level blocking tight end. That being said you can find players that could push him off an NFL roster in the 7th round or as udfa's. Also if he goes to camp and another team releases a tight end in August Escobar could be released to make room. I think he's more of a vet to help some rookies in camp and insurance if the rookies aren't ready to contribute.

2013 Drafted TE's:

21. Tyler Eifert Cincinnati
35. Zach Ertz Philadelphia
47. Gavin Escobar Dallas
55. Vance McDonald San Fransisco
63. Travis Kelce Kansas City
85. Jordan Reed Washington
106. Dion Sims Miami

The irony is that this year's class has a similar make up and I was concerned we'd end up with an Escobar/McDonald pick instead of a Kelce/Reed pick.

To actually sign him gave me a chuckle. You can do worse but surely they intend to do much better.

Damn he really was a bust... I remember many being interested in him as a high pick in that draft.

Waste of a camp body is what he is. Total bust 5 years ago. He was a part of that weird stretch where the Cowboys drafted a tight end in the second round of three consecutive drafts. The other two were Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett.

This guy hasn't done a damn thing in the league, but he does seem to have a nose for the endzone. 8 TDs on 30 receptions.

Maybe he's better than Duarte. Won't beat out Derby, Gray, and whoever we draft. And we better draft a TE at 42.

Fasano was drafted in 2006, Bennett in 2008 and Escobar in 2013.

2013 Drafted TE's:

21. Tyler Eifert Cincinnati
35. Zach Ertz Philadelphia
47. Gavin Escobar Dallas
55. Vance McDonald San Fransisco
63. Travis Kelce Kansas City
85. Jordan Reed Washington
106. Dion Sims Miami

The irony is that this year's class has a similar make up and I was concerned we'd end up with an Escobar/McDonald pick instead of a Kelce/Reed pick.

To actually sign him gave me a chuckle. You can do worse but surely they intend to do much better.
Jeez that was a good class for TE

Jeez that was a good class for TE

And this year's could yield similar results.

I am not really joking when I say I want to draft two TE's high this year.

In recent memory the most nightmarish NFL offense that we've had to contend with was when New England had Gronk and Hernandez on it.

FWIW immediately received a text from a friend of my who is an avid cowboys fan.. the text read "Gavin Escobar is going to be a great asset for you guys this year.. watch" My reply to him was "Man who is this guy, and why did you all let him go if he was any good?"

His reply was "Great player when he's on the field. Pretty Athletic. Jerry Jones and Garrett are still in the good ole boy system and until Jason Witten retires, any other TE we draft won't get much Playing Time because Witten is on the field 90% of the snaps when he's clearly not the same player he used to be"

I don't know much about the guy so i have to do some research. Look at his high school footage and star ratings, his college footage and draft profile. My guess is that he must have tested pretty well during workouts to be drafted in the 2nd round. But that doesn't mean much as there are plenty of early round busts.

No one's screaming plus it seems like every said player we bring on ends up a failure

Last year the Eagles had Dallas Thomas on the roster and the Broncos had Billy Turner. The Seahawks had Dion Jordan. Even players that have struggled in Miami get second or third chances elsewhere. The Patriots have brought in a ton of players that failed else where in recent years.

He stuck on with Dallas for a good amount of time, he's worth a look at least. Definitely gonna beat out Duarte, and a little competition could be good for Gray/Derby

Back
Top Bottom