First Order of Business | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Order of Business

At 9.3 million James would be the second highest paid right tackle
in the Nfl. The next closest RT is
Jared Veldheer at 6.5 million

and
Bryan Bulaga at 5.8 million

and at least 3-4 young studs who are better than James at 2 million or less

When I see this I think jawaun has to come in with a number in tbe 5 range: maybe 5 and 30 with 12 guaranteed. Want to know why guys don’t want to be labeled right tackles as free agents? These numbers are why. If someone sees James as a left tackle starter he won’t be in miamis market. And someone may cause he’s a finesse pass protect tackle with good feet and length

I may hang on to Sam Young if I'm rescinding James offer an cannot extend him. I would swap Young out with Fede, who is usually invisible. Time to invest in someone at DE with potential for growth. He wouldn't even get snaps if Hayes is back.

I agree with everything else but still waiting on Landry decision.
I think I'd keep both Young and Fede. Young showed to be a capable backup late last season. Much better at RT than LT but he played both which isn't easy and he comes cheap.

Fede, while not a great DE, does a decent job against the run as a 5th DE but he's actually very good on special teams. I think if you can re-sign him at near the league minimum (and I don't see why not) then you keep him.

I believe Morgan Moses signed a new deal last year for $7.7M. The market will dictate James' worth and it is a weak right tackle market this year. That drives his price up.

Morgan Moses signed a 5 year, $38,500,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $9,500,000 signing bonus, $17,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,700,000. In 2018, Moses will earn a base salary of $3,250,000 and a roster bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,400,000 and a dead cap value of $10,850,000.

I think I'd keep both Young and Fede. Young showed to be a capable backup late last season. Much better at RT than LT but he played both which isn't easy and he comes cheap.

Fede, while not a great DE, does a decent job against the run as a 5th DE but he's actually very good on special teams. I think if you can re-sign him at near the league minimum (and I don't see why not) then you keep him.

My take is that I would rather use the roster spot for someone with a higher ceiling that, with development could possible work his way into the starting lineup in a few years. That could be an UDFA or a low draft pick. Maybe even poach someone from PS. We've seen Fede. I don't ever expect him to be a starter. I may sign Fede late but only as camp competition.

Davis has been decent, but still a little early to say that. What sounds better to me is keeping James and putting Davis at RG and backup RT. A solid young line with depth. But again, we're talking about the Dolphins, so I could totally see them letting James walk and moving Davis over, leaving us in need of an OG and depth.

To me, the ideal plan is resign James to a reasonable contract (probably $5-6M/year based on where he stacks up against other RTs) and draft Will Hernandez in the 2nd (though he may have played himself out of reach in the Senior Bowl). He, Larson, Asiata, and Davis vying for the OG spots and leaving us with good, versatile depth for once (I also like Eric Smith as a backup OT).

Or we need to address yet another offensive line position unnecessarily this offseason. Sweet.

Re-structure James, or re-sign him at a decent price. I see no real point in losing him either. Otherwise, we play yet another game of musical chairs that we seemingly play every offseason, and we miss out on using resources to handle another issue somewhere else. Getting rid of James just to get rid of him is the reason why teams like the Eagles pass us by and we're stuck treading water at 6-7 wins every year.

Outside of that, I'd get rid of Timmons. Terrible signing...but when the Steelers (a team known for LBs) let the guy walk, you know they know something.

Draft class says to me sign cheap rotational de on one year pact in free agency look to 2019 draft for 43 de piece for the long term

Moses contract is one that I’m sure James will try to use as leverage but James has more injury history and hasn’t played quite as consistently as Moses.

Still that’s probably gonna be in the ball park unless James has no real market

Juwan James could be a restructure. $9 million cap hit with $0 dead money. Bonus the $9 million, extend to a 3yr. $6 million in savings and 1 less position to worry about, especially on the OL
If James is not back, then def Sam Young, who should be in the $2 million range.

Not sure we will see many draft picks left pre Gase.
Tannabum has us in cap hell not unusual for his track record. Tannabum was a bad choice said so in the beginning. Likes to sign high priced players leaving little room for margin of error. So its harder to sign young developing players long term. So James, Laundry and Fede not looking good to see in a phins uniform. We really need a new GM to go along with these new assistant coaches

I look at the Hayes fa signing this year, aged productive veteran, we sign for a decent salary plus a draft for 2 years. We void one year of his contract and the guy gets hurt. Not impressed, except for his play in a throwaway season and now we loose the draft puck plus have to pay a 2nd year premium for a aged vet. Look we keep creating our own holes and then make desperation picks to fill them in the draft. This team is moving backwards personal wise. Only hope this year are these new assistants and hopefully a decent schedule. If these new assistant coaches can develop some talent, then hopefully we can quit trading away draft picks or reaching in the draft for talent or just let the draft come to us like the Pats do.

Well as GM my priority would be to resign these 3 players if I can at a reasonable cap hit this year and use the draft for the OLD coverage LB, tight end, running back, FS and backup QB positions. All 3 of these guys are young enough and talented enough to play at least another 4-5 years.
Why I resign Fede, why he plays ST fairly well, can play DE, still young enough to develop and best of all he is inexpensive.
Why I resign James (talent meets need), decent right young tackle, most importantly for the phins plays in an area of weakness and great need for the Dolphins the Oline, plus coming off his injury there is a good possibility that he might be resigned at a reasonable price.
Why I resign Jarvis, RT security blanket l coming back from a year and half layoff, tough relentless player who is seldom injured, Dolphins stats galore, sign 5 years spread out the cap hit to possibly year 3 and if Gase wants to stay around he needs productive players and Jarvis is certainly one of those.

Does anyone know if we don’t pick up the 5th year option on James do we still get a comp pick?

I'm still hopeful that the team will sign Landry. Other than that, it is a great list.

If Miami can nail down a guard spot in free agency and maybe a starting caliber tight end, then the draft can focus almost exclusively on defense.

Back
Top Bottom