First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami

We tend to agree on a lot, but I have to disagree here. Relative to most classes, this LB group looks very strong. Smith, Edmunds, Vander Esch, Sam, and Jefferson all have the combination of instincts, speed, and physicality to produce early starters with high ceilings. There are obviously disparities within that group, but I'd take the group over the 2017 top 5 LB's, and definitely the 2016 and 2015 groups. In a draft with few strengths, LB stands out in a good way. I'll be interested to see if Edmunds really does blow up the Combine. Have a feeling some of the claims are overstated. Not factoring his age, which rightfully gives him a bump, he's behind Smith, Vander Esch, Sam, and Jefferson as a player. Him being about 2 years younger than everyone but Smith does hold weight/complicate the rankings.
His speed and agility measureables will be very important.
I'm personally not a fan at #11 partially because I dont value SAM position unless he can play 3 downs and additionally don't see dynamic instincts.
Unless I see Keuchly or Foster type or Jaylen Smith pre injury I'm not pulling trigger at 11.
Give me Derwin James. Minkah. Chubb. A shutdown CB.

That’s not enough poa play and fill at the lb level. Primary reason

They could do it but the offset is poa and gap fill with Kiko at mike and smith at weak

Nickel with Kiko and smith you have a ton of range and are begging to have the ball run downhill on you.

And in this scheme if you don’t stop the run you won’t stop anything. Lb level reads run reacts to pass don’t stop run you will never defend the pass
You can play Smith at WLB, Raequon MLB and sign a SAM like the Philly kid.
This would be my preference.
You can keep Smith on field and play big Nickel with 3 safeties/ 3 CBs Smith and your front 4.

After watching the super bowl, Derwin James makes a ton of sense if he's on the board.

It was eye opening how neither defense could stop the opposing offense. Both quarterbacks were getting rid of the ball so quickly and essentially negating the pass rush.

I think maybe the secondary is now more important than the pass rush.

I'm not taking Edmunds over Derwin James.
Still prefer trade down if my top tier is gone.

I understand that you arent. Im just saying what I think they would do

If it’s me I’m probably gonna turn in the derwin james card. I just think he gives us the best chance to carry coverage on tight ends with his size length and speed combo.

But in the event miami does what I think they would in tremaine Edmunds at 11 given the size the poa play the speed and the thinking he can play 3 downs and pair with Kiko for 2018 DeShon Elliott at 43 makes a lot of sense to me. Difference being unlike James I don’t think he has the jam and thump physicality off the los to lock up tight ends. To me he’s more the interchangeable box/centerfield type. If Miami wants to play dimei think he fits even if he may not be the true pure centerfield type so miami can use tj McDonald in a hybrid role. I don’t see hybrid with DeShon Elliott. I see pure safety.

I might be able to get that dime center field type in free agency also cheap or later in the draft cheap even although I’m sure miamis gonna want sure tacklers and that doesn’t sit around long when paired with centerfield range

Should miami go james and wait on lb til later I think Vander Esch and Leonard on upside make sense. They both have the length and size speed that the scheme prefers even if both are still filling out it’s not hard to project another 5 or so lbs of good weight on those frames and maintaining the athlete

I still think the best pure lb instincts I have seen in the class belong to Josey Jewell and someone’s gonna get a hell of a bargain late on day 2 there but it’s probably not the right fit for us and as a plan a it’s probably 2 down

Not really. But you keep trying until you get the guy.

Miami QBs drafted since Brady in 2000:

2001 Heupel (6th)
2007 Beck (2nd)
2008 Henne (2nd)
2009 White (2nd)
2012 Tannehill (1st)
2016 Doughty (7th)

Three consecutive 2nd round picks on QB's, that's almost Matt Millen esque with the WR's in the 1st.

Not really. But you keep trying until you get the guy.

Miami QBs drafted since Brady in 2000:

2001 Heupel (6th)
2007 Beck (2nd)
2008 Henne (2nd)
2009 White (2nd)
2012 Tannehill (1st)
2016 Doughty (7th)

Wow, I never realized we had invested so little in the most important position. 6 QB's out of the 131 draft picks. We did trade for some duds, Fiedler and Dante and got lucky with P10

Break down of those picks by position

WR - 18
LB - 18
TACKLE - 16
DB -16
RB - 12
DT - 10
DE - 9
TE - 8
GUARD - 7
QB - 6
CENTER -3
CB - 3
SAFETY - 2
NT -1
PUNTER - 1
KICKER - 1

DEFENSE - 59
O LINE - 26
SKILLS - 44
P/K -2

Last edited:
According to the drafts going back to 2001 we have never taken a Linebacker higher than 2nd round. Misi, Eddie Moore. Until last year when we took Harand McMillian last year.

Also of those 130 draft picks only 1 turned into All-Pro selection. Jake Long for 1 year. That is some poor drafting.

I guess Harris was technically a LB last year but we drafted him to be DE

Last edited:
I'm just as concerned about the front 4 as I am the LB's. Still a lot of question marks there, IMO. We gave up far too many TD's on the ground last year and were not getting to the QB near enough.

Wow, I never realized we had invested so little in the most important position. 6 QB's out of the 131 draft picks. We did trade for some duds, Fiedler and Dante and got lucky with P10

Break down of those picks by position

WR - 18
LB - 18
TACKLE - 16
DB -16
RB - 12
DT - 10
DE - 9
TE - 8
GUARD - 7
QB - 6
CENTER -3
CB - 3
SAFETY - 2
NT -1
PUNTER - 1
KICKER - 1

DEFENSE - 59
O LINE - 26
SKILLS - 44
P/K -2

Curious . . . how many QBs did Miami draft OR sign as FAs during that time? Quite a few. It isn't as if there was no attempt.
And Penny is an example of getting lucky. That's the problem with all positions - it takes luck. Not discounting talent, because some are just better at identifying talent. BUT, regardless how good or bad a team's evaluators are, luck is always there.
And selecting 6 QBs in 16 years is fairly often, given teams generally give a QB 3 years before moving on. Nor do we want to forget there are 3 LBs to 1 QB so 18 to 6 is the same emphasis. The one position that jumps off the page is Safety. 2 in 16 years for a position needing 2 at a time?

That is strange about the safety. One thing to keep in mind the draft results shows what the player was in college. So they could be CB converted to safety when they reach pros. only thing that makes sense.

Looking at the list of 131 draft picks and my best 3 in no specific order are

Ronnie Brown
Ryan Tannehill
Jarvis Landry

You're in for a big let down then. No way they go guard at 11 when they didn't go guard at 22 last year. I can see a guard at 73 maybe but don't hold your breath

Ozzy rules!!

I disagree, I think we would have a hard time passing on Nelson if he is there...

Why am I the only one not enamored with Edmunds?

I watched his cut up from the Okay State game and I saw traits similar to Kiko, except Edmunds looks way bigger.

I'm sure I need to watch more film but just looking at that singular game.... ugh.
I’m not either, I know he’s young but I dont see the necessary instincts and vision from the player, and at the next level he will get more exposed and lost..just not right at 11 for me..

This position is a bit of a conundrum in that the Dolphins use too many linebackers and defensive linemen as things stand, so adding more of those to the mix wouldn't necessarily help. Then again, the linebackers they do have (depending on how Raekwon turns out) are inadequate.
I understand that you arent. Im just saying what I think they would do

If it’s me I’m probably gonna turn in the derwin james card. I just think he gives us the best chance to carry coverage on tight ends with his size length and speed combo.

But in the event miami does what I think they would in tremaine Edmunds at 11 given the size the poa play the speed and the thinking he can play 3 downs and pair with Kiko for 2018 DeShon Elliott at 43 makes a lot of sense to me. Difference being unlike James I don’t think he has the jam and thump physicality off the los to lock up tight ends. To me he’s more the interchangeable box/centerfield type. If Miami wants to play dimei think he fits even if he may not be the true pure centerfield type so miami can use tj McDonald in a hybrid role. I don’t see hybrid with DeShon Elliott. I see pure safety.

I might be able to get that dime center field type in free agency also cheap or later in the draft cheap even although I’m sure miamis gonna want sure tacklers and that doesn’t sit around long when paired with centerfield range

Should miami go james and wait on lb til later I think Vander Esch and Leonard on upside make sense. They both have the length and size speed that the scheme prefers even if both are still filling out it’s not hard to project another 5 or so lbs of good weight on those frames and maintaining the athlete

I still think the best pure lb instincts I have seen in the class belong to Josey Jewell and someone’s gonna get a hell of a bargain late on day 2 there but it’s probably not the right fit for us and as a plan a it’s probably 2 down
I can get on board with this DEF:
Jones Eliot TJ Howard Tank
Edmunds Raekwon
Front 4
Also subbing in an additional DE for a Bear Front or McCain for a big Dime
The only issue I have with this:
1. We are allocating 2 premium picks on Def.
2. Can Edmunds cover RBs in what will be a base Nickel
3. Is Edmunds BPA at 11
4. Does the pick really work without additionally obtaining Elliot. Meaning we can't bank on Elliot being available. Alternatives?

Back
Top Bottom