Five Teams Who Could Surprise With An Nfl Wild Card Appearance In 2018 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Teams Who Could Surprise With An Nfl Wild Card Appearance In 2018

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
MIA-Dolphins-Header.png

The key to the Dolphins making a surprise push for the playoffs is getting quarterback Ryan Tannehill healthy, and keeping him that way. Tannehill might not be an elite signal-caller, but he has produced a PFF grade between 80.9 and 85.1 every season of his career so far. That will put you among the top 50 percent of quarterbacks in the NFL every season, and with enough help around him, he gives you a chance to win. The Dolphins have made additions on offense, adding guard Josh Sitton who has allowed just 18 total pressures on 856 pass-blocking snaps over the past two seasons and slot receiver Albert Wilson. Wilson replaces Jarvis Landry who dominated out of the slot, but Wilson was no slouch, producing a PFF grade of 77.1 and he will have the opportunity to flourish in the Dolphins system.

Minkak-Dolphins.png

Defensively, Robert Quinn is the big addition upfront, but despite him racking up 10 sacks in 2017, we haven’t seen any real consistency from him as a pass-rusher since his two-year performance between 2013 and 2014, with just 81 total pressures over the past three seasons. The key addition on defense is first-round defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, who showcased the ability to play safety and in the slot at Alabama, and should bring that versatility to the Dolphins.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-five-teams-who-could-surprise-in-the-nfl-playoffs

MIA-Dolphins-Header.png

The key to the Dolphins making a surprise push for the playoffs is getting quarterback Ryan Tannehill healthy, and keeping him that way. Tannehill might not be an elite signal-caller, but he has produced a PFF grade between 80.9 and 85.1 every season of his career so far. That will put you among the top 50 percent of quarterbacks in the NFL every season, and with enough help around him, he gives you a chance to win. The Dolphins have made additions on offense, adding guard Josh Sitton who has allowed just 18 total pressures on 856 pass-blocking snaps over the past two seasons and slot receiver Albert Wilson. Wilson replaces Jarvis Landry who dominated out of the slot, but Wilson was no slouch, producing a PFF grade of 77.1 and he will have the opportunity to flourish in the Dolphins system.

Minkak-Dolphins.png

Defensively, Robert Quinn is the big addition upfront, but despite him racking up 10 sacks in 2017, we haven’t seen any real consistency from him as a pass-rusher since his two-year performance between 2013 and 2014, with just 81 total pressures over the past three seasons. The key addition on defense is first-round defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, who showcased the ability to play safety and in the slot at Alabama, and should bring that versatility to the Dolphins.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-five-teams-who-could-surprise-in-the-nfl-playoffs

I'd like to believe, and I'm an optimist, but, as I said elsewhere, the 1st 5 games worry me. OL needs to gel, Tannehill from a year off, new WRs get get acclimated to the scheme, . . . That MAY be tough. I agree, Miami has the talent, but just about everything needs to go right. If playoff berths were based on the last ten games I'd feel even more optimistic.

One year they’ll be looked at as playoff locks. Until then it’s still “a surprise”.

A predicted 4 winning team making the playoff is more than "a surprise." That's a modern-day miracle!

They somehow overcame their lack of talent, coaching, SOS and won a minimum of at 6 additional games in the AFC to get that playoff berth.

Last edited:
What was Tannehill's PFF grade for the 8 game span prior to the knee injury?

With all due respect to writing a team like Miami that has rarely tasted the playoffs much for a while now, but screw the wildcard...The Patriot's time is coming to an end soon, let it be next year, with Miami out pacing them for most wins in the East.

I think the Dolphins make the playoffs if two things happen:

1. Tannehill stays healthy for 16 games
2. Multiple rookies make significant contributions to the team (Minkah, Gessicki, Ballage)

Add to previous thread, didn't 't it posted.

The regular season is still 4 months away and already I am pumped for football.....god help me. This team can be 8-8 or 10-6 and that is madding, if our rookies have a great year and our second year players especially become beast...the sky's the limit for this team.

Back
Top Bottom