Five worst NFL draft classes by team of last 10 years | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five worst NFL draft classes by team of last 10 years

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...st-nfl-draft-classes-by-team-of-last-10-years

[h=3]5. 2013 Miami Dolphins[/h]
» Team draft history
» Draft class: DE Dion Jordan (Round 1), CB Jamar Taylor (Round 2), OT Dallas Thomas (Round 3), CB Will Davis (Round 3), LB Jelani Jenkins (Round 4), TE Dion Sims (Round 4), RB Mike Gillislee (Round 5), K Caleb Sturgis (Round 5), SS Don Jones (Round 7)
» Players who were primary starters: 1
» Total games played: 206

The Dolphins' 2006 draft class is also worthy of a mention here, but the 2013 class gets the nod for a couple of reasons.
What might go down as the worst overall draft class in NFL history -- in totality, not by team -- must have a representative here, and that dubious honor belongs to the Dolphins. The blatant error from this draft for the Dolphins is the selection of Jordan, who is steamrolling toward "all-time draft bust" status. Miami traded up nine spots -- with the Oakland Raiders -- to move into the No. 3 hole to pick Jordan, who entered that year's draft drawing comparisons to Dolphins great Jason Taylor. Instead, Jordan spent much of his first two seasons as a situational pass rusher, and will miss the entire 2015 season after another violation of the league's substance-abuse policy.
Of the eight field players taken in this draft -- a ninth selection was kicker Caleb Sturgis -- only one has been able to see consistent time as a starter: Jelani Jenkins, who made 14 starts at linebacker for the Dolphins in 2014.
The Browns' draft class from 2013 also is teetering dangerously close to an unfortunate place on this list, but there's still hope that top pick Barkevious Mingo can be the "bitch kitty" that coach Mike Pettine covets so dearly.

I know it says last 10 years but 1995 was the worst I can remember. Billy Milner was #1 followed by a bunch of guys who never did anything.

I read this article & it doesn't make sense to me really you include that draft as the 5th worst draft class, that is CRAZY. I'm not saying it was a great one but you still don't know about Sims, Taylor & Davis (Taylor & Sims have shown some promise) & Jenkins was a steal. Sturgis is still questionable but he's been our full time K for 2 seasons. I think he is ONLY basing it off Jordan which he has been a bust but you can't say it's in the top 5 worst drafts b/c of one player.

Top 5 worst draft in the NFL and they pick one of ours that actually brought us 3 possibly 4 starters?? Huh...

I believe it was solely based on the trading up for Jordan and him being a bust with no so to speak All Pros to balance out the major negativity. As of today you can say we have some good returns on Sims and Jenkins. It will be interesting to see how Taylor, and Davis do this year.

I know it says last 10 years but 1995 was the worst I can remember. Billy Milner was #1 followed by a bunch of guys who never did anything.

That 1995 class was especially cursed, as we let go of the only two guys that did anything in the NFL (Norman Hand and Pete Mitchell).

Like guy said earlier Jordan hurt draft class 2013. I still see at less 2 starter.

Nah taylors gonna start for this team this year sims is a solid top level blocking tight end with soft hands and jenkins is a solid starting wolb

No way nfl.com

The draft was not that bad.

It fails because of the trade up for Jordan.

I don't know if it was "top 5 worst," but it was certainly a lousy draft. Jordan wasn't just a 1st round bust, but a 2nd round bust as well since we traded away an early 2nd round pick to move up. That's the kind of bad drafting that can really hold an organization back as that one bust potentially costs us two starters.

Jamar Taylor might become a starter this year, but I see that possibility more as an indictment of the lack of talent we possess at cornerback after Grimes.
Taylor doesn't appear to much more than journeyman talent, certainly not what I'd expect from a 2nd round pick.

The Dallas Thomas pick in the 3rd round means we whiffed on all 4 picks we had in the first three rounds. Not good.

Jelani Jenkins shines but is that entirely based on talent of is it because of the barren wasteland we call our linebacker corps? It may turn out that he's a real talent, but I'll need another season to be convinced.

Dion Sims intrigues me. He started to show some stuff at the end of last season. Enough so, that I wasn't horribly disappointed not to have resigned Clay. But with Cameron here now, I'm not sure what that means for Sims' progress and development.

The rest of that draft is unimpressive, so bad draft? Yeah, but it's way too soon to list it amongst the all-time worst of the last decade.

Honestly think 2007 was worse but understand the reasoning. 2007 we had 10 picks and had 2 productive players; Paul Soliai and Brandon Fields. That Vikings class though I'd awful.

Given the chance, Ireland could do way worse than that!

Back
Top Bottom