For All Of Those Wondering About The Retirement Papers.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For All Of Those Wondering About The Retirement Papers....

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Do The Fines Start Tomorrow!!!

OK if reality is that Ricky Williams hasn't faxed in his retirement papers yet what is this quote all about.

"The Miami Dolphins continue to wait and hope that Ricky Williams will change his mind. Placing Williams on the Reserved/Retired list would officially end his playing days.

Agent Leigh Steinberg declined comment but supposedly told his client that retiring abruptly could be costly, and as of Wednesday morning the former Texas Longhorn was looking at paying back about $8 million dollars."

The first paragraph clearly states the ball is in Miami's court. As soon as they place Ricky on the reserve/retired list he is done. This quote was taken from the Sun Sentinel.

F150&Dolfan said:
OK if reality is that Ricky Williams hasn't faxed in his retirement papers yet what is this quote all about.

"The Miami Dolphins continue to wait and hope that Ricky Williams will change his mind. Placing Williams on the Reserved/Retired list would officially end his playing days.

Agent Leigh Steinberg declined comment but supposedly told his client that retiring abruptly could be costly, and as of Wednesday morning the former Texas Longhorn was looking at paying back about $8 million dollars."

The first paragraph clearly states the ball is in Miami's court. As soon as they place Ricky on the reserve/retired list he is done. This quote was taken from the Sun Sentinel.
I'm wondering if they can place him on the retired list. The reserved list, sure! But I don't think that will clear up the cap space. But I'm not too familiar with the rules on the reserve list.

MikeO said:
Sure, he is done from playing this year. But putting him on the reserved/retired list without him signing any papers means he still counts on the salary cap the way I understand it. That is a list for just 1 season. Next year this would start all over again as he isn't officially retired until papers are signed.

I mean a team could put anyone on that list then and open up cap room if this were the case and if it were just that easy.
From another thread... This makes sense. Ricky has to sign the papers in order for us to have the cap room.

putting him on that list with unsigned papers only means he can't change hid mind and play this year. He still counts on the cap until those papers are signed.

THIS is why people are calling RW selfish. If you want to retire, then do it. Dont' say you will do it. Its Friday now. This story broke Saturday night. Why is it taking this long?

This guy is a nutcase and has the papers to prove it and he doesn't know what he wants to do. He needs a padded room and to get back on the meds (not not pot, real medication).

If this is the case does the FO start fining Ricky tomorrow. I have a feeling this stupid crap is going to drag out forever and constantly be a distraction to our favorite team. That sucks more than Ricky leaving.

F150&Dolfan said:
If this is the case does the FO start fining Ricky tomorrow. I have a feeling this stupid crap is going to drag out forever and constantly be a distraction to our favorite team. That sucks more than Ricky leaving.
They can fine him till the end of time, it won't change the fact he still counts on the cap until he signs the paperwork.

Fining him is nice in theory and makes everyone feel good, but it doens't help the situation. It doesn't free up the salary cap money.

So there is nothing the Dolphins can do to get their cap money back but wait for Ricky to sign these papers. Do you know 100% that the papers are unsigned????

MikeO said:
putting him on that list with unsigned papers only means he can't change hid mind and play this year. He still counts on the cap until those papers are signed.

THIS is why people are calling RW selfish. If you want to retire, then do it. Dont' say you will do it. Its Friday now. This story broke Saturday night. Why is it taking this long?

This guy is a nutcase and has the papers to prove it and he doesn't know what he wants to do. He needs a padded room and to get back on the meds (not not pot, real medication).
Agree 199%! :up:

F150&Dolfan said:
So there is nothing the Dolphins can do to get their cap money back but wait for Ricky to sign these papers. Do you know 100% that the papers are unsigned????
I don't know 100%, but I'm pretty darn sure it would have shown up in the news coverage by now if they had been signed. This isn't exactly a small story going on.

Those papers are NFL papers, not Miami Dolphins papers. If and when he signs them it goes to the league office in NY and the AP has a tap on all signings, retirings, or transactions.

If he signed them and filed them with the NFL, it would come out in like 4 seconds.

MikeO said:
Those papers are NFL papers, not Miami Dolphins papers. If and when he signs them it goes to the league office in NY and the AP has a tap on all signings, retirings, or transactions.

If he signed them and filed them with the NFL, it would come out in like 4 seconds.
Got you!! Is there anything the Dolphins can do other then just sit back and wait.

Ricky would have to file retirement papers and then the Dolphins could put him on the reserve retired list. The contract is suspended, (tolled in contract language) the roster spot and cap space is recovered. Retiring is to Ricky's advantage as he would not have to pay his fine. He can also un-retire whenever he wants.

If Ricky does not file for retirement and "otherwise fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract" the Dolphins can put him on the reserve did not report list. The contract is tolled, the roster spot and cap space is recovered. :club:

Merman said:
Ricky would have to file retirement papers and then the Dolphins could put him on the reserve retired list. The contract is suspended, (tolled in contract language) the roster spot and cap space is recovered. Retiring is to Ricky's advantage as he would not have to pay his fine. He can also un-retire whenever he wants.

If Ricky does not file for retirement and "otherwise fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract" the Dolphins can put him on the reserve did not report list. The contract is tolled, the roster spot and cap space is recovered. :club:

Would that mean he is out for the season regardless of whether or not he changes his mind.

Merman said:

:woot: Thank you for clearing that up.

Edit: does that apply to O-gun as well? He is under contract. Not that I don't want him signed and ready to pummle, but if he doesn't sign do we get that cap room as well?

F150&Dolfan said:
Would that mean he is out for the season regardless of whether or not he changes his mind.
I dont want him back. I used to be a fan of his and if he had chosen to retire in december I wouldn't have held it against him. He really screwed my team over and I never want to see him in a uniform again for any team!

spydertl79 said:
I dont want him back. I used to be a fan of his and if he had chosen to retire in december I wouldn't have held it against him. He really screwed my team over and I never want to see him in a uniform again for any team!
"MY" team??? Come now, surely you have to think of the rest that call this team theirs. I personaly don't want him back on OUR team as well. But claiming the team as yours is bit much, no? I kid you, I kid you. I agree totally, I don't want him back either. At least not this year. If he can take a year away(as retired) and clean himself up and get on the proper medication. Then I MAY change my stance.

p.s. Wayne??? :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom