For All Of You Dolfans That Said Fiedler Isnt Injury Prone | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For All Of You Dolfans That Said Fiedler Isnt Injury Prone

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
First of all let me say I think Fiedler looked fantastic in the Scrimmage vs the Titans. I think if he stays healthy and plays like that we will reach the big dance, or at least come close. That said though, his current back situation is exactly what Muck and I, and some others were saying. Jays back issues came just before his hip surgeries in the past. The Hips and back are obviously involved in movement together, and so I am hoping for the best here, but wont be surprised to see this thing turn ugly injury wise.
This injury could set us way back, I'm hoping it doesn,t but it has that potential. Moreover, if Griese plays great, and Jay doesnt play, it could open a can of worms. Frankly, I think if Jay is out more than a week our passing game could really struggle......as our timing and such will be impacted.

All in all though my point of this post is to point out exactly the thing I was saying earlier about Jay missing alot of time in his 4 years in Miami. Mostly in preseason, but I think preseason is very important for timing and excecution.....and Jays missing time again.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all...the guy isn't exactly injury prone. In his three years here, the guy has missed six games, which is exactly the same amount of games as Zach Thomas has missed over the last three years and no one calls him injury prone. Out of the six that he didn't play, five came last year. So his first two years starting he played in 30 out of 31, which is pretty damn reliable for a quarterback.

Secondly, it was not his hip that did him in last year and caused his level of play to drop. It was a fluke break in his throwing thumb which happened when it came into contact with an opposing player's facemask. This injury could happen to ANY quarterback.

Thirdly, his missing preseason games had absolutely no bearing on our season last year. Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't him missing preseason games which "build timing and execution" hinder his play? Let me remind you that through 6 games (before Fiedler's thumb injury), through all the hip and ring finger problems, Jay led this O to a 5-1 record and a 30 point scoring average with a 100+ QB rating.

Finally if the game versus the Bucs were a real game and not an exibition he said he would play. Team doctors have checked him out and it is just soreness in the back, no connection to the hip. Nothing to be too concerned about, considering he has a month before the season starts to let it heal. He just wants to be cautious because he knows that the important thing is being healthy for the regular season. I think it would be pointless for Fiedler to try to push himself or prove something and then get hurt for real. And what kind of timing is he going to build in a half of a quarter that he couldn't build for the weeks that we have been in training camp or the three preseason games we have left? Sorry, but if we're going to label Fiedler injury prone because of a fluke injury and missing preseason games, than the list of starting QBs in the NFL that are not injury prone is a pretty short one.

Originally posted by Rrodr038
First of all...the guy isn't exactly injury prone. In his three years here, the guy has missed six games, which is exactly the same amount of games as Zach Thomas has missed over the last three years and no one calls him injury prone. Out of the six that he didn't play, five came last year. So his first two years starting he played in 30 out of 31, which is pretty damn reliable for a quarterback.

Jay has missed 6 Real games, and how many Pre season games over his 4 year career? To imply that him not practicing with the team, or playing his reps in Pre season doesn't hurt us makes no sense. If that were the case, nobody would bother to play the starters or practice the starters. I've been a coach for over 20 years, and it ALWAYS hurts the Offense not to have the QB around. It hurts the running game, passing game, and spirit of the team. By the way, in those 30 of 31 games Jay played in years 1-2 with us, he played hurt the second half of the season, and blamed his poor play (as did Wanny) on Jay's injuries. Don't ignore the fact that he had 2-3 injuries alone season #1 with us. When he's healthy he plays good...even great at times, but when he's injured his play drops in a big way.....no denying that fact.

Secondly, it was not his hip that did him in last year and caused his level of play to drop. It was a fluke break in his throwing thumb which happened when it came into contact with an opposing player's facemask. This injury could happen to ANY quarterback.
Yes, it could happen to any QB, so could the double hip injuries, the back, the elbow, etc.....and if it were his only injury, or one of a couple it wouldnt be worth mentioning, but Jay has had many injuries since joining the Dolphins which have effected his play. They have cost him practice time, pre season games, 6 regular games, and after he has had them he hasnt been the same (for the most part). Look at the Minnesota and Pats games last year after he returned.

Thirdly, his missing preseason games had absolutely no bearing on our season last year. Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't him missing preseason games which "build timing and execution" hinder his play? Let me remind you that through 6 games (before Fiedler's thumb injury), through all the hip and ring finger problems, Jay led this O to a 5-1 record and a 30 point scoring average with a 100+ QB rating.
Jay played great early last year...however, how did he play after returning late in the year? How about Seasons 1-2 after his injury? I think if you are going to make a point you outta look at the whole picture, not one part of one season as your example.

Finally if the game versus the Bucs were a real game and not an exibition he said he would play. Team doctors have checked him out and it is just soreness in the back, no connection to the hip. Nothing to be too concerned about, considering he has a month before the season starts to let it heal. He just wants to be cautious because he knows that the important thing is being healthy for the regular season. I think it would be pointless for Fiedler to try to push himself or prove something and then get hurt for real. And what kind of timing is he going to build in a half of a quarter that he couldn't build for the weeks that we have been in training camp or the three preseason games we have left? Sorry, but if we're going to label Fiedler injury prone because of a fluke injury and missing preseason games, than the list of starting QBs in the NFL that are not injury prone is a pretty short one.

He's not just missing the quarter against the Bucs. He's already missed 2-3 days of practice, and will likely lose more.

I know the tone of this post may sound like I don't support Jay, but that really isn't the case. I do see his primary issue as an NFL QB though as the fact that he has not been able to stay healthy and it has effected our team. I think if you are ignoring that fact you have blinders on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Jay has missed 6 Real games, and how many Pre season games over his 4 year career? To imply that him not practicing with the team, or playing his reps in Pre season doesn't hurt us makes no sense. If that were the case, nobody would bother to play the starters or practice the starters. I've been a coach for over 20 years, and it ALWAYS hurts the Offense not to have the QB around. It hurts the running game, passing game, and spirit of the team. By the way, in those 30 of 31 games Jay played in years 1-2 with us, he played hurt the second half of the season, and blamed his poor play (as did Wanny) on Jay's injuries. Don't ignore the fact that he had 2-3 injuries alone season #1 with us. When he's healthy he plays good...even great at times, but when he's injured his play drops in a big way.....no denying that fact.

Yes, it could happen to any QB, so could the double hip injuries, the back, the elbow, etc.....and it were his only injury, or one of a couple it wouldnt be worth mentioning, but Jay has had many injuries since joining the Dolphins which have effected his play. They have cost him practice time, pre season games, 6 regular games, and after he has had them he hasnt been the same (for the most part). Look at the Minnesota and Pats games last year after he returned.

Jay played great early last year...however, how did he play after returning late in the year? How about Seasons 1-2 after his injury? I think if you are going to make a point you outta look at the whole picture, not one part of one season as your example.

He's not just missing the qaurter against the Bucs. He's already missed 2-3 days of practice, and will likely lose more.

I know the tone of this post may sound like I don't support Jay, but that really isn't the case. I do see his primary issue as an NFL QB though as the fact that he has not been able to stay healthy and it has effected our team. I think if you are ignoring that fact you have blinders on.

Actually Mike he missed 1 full day of practice, and 1 day of walk throughs on Thursday. I'm not sure about the more part.

I agree with you by the way, it's not good he's missing time. It would be much better if he was out there than not.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Oliver

Actually Mike he missed 1 full day of practice, and 1 day of walk throughs on Thursday. I'm not sure about the more part.

I agree with you by the way, it's not good he's missing time. It would be much better if he was out there than not.

Oliver...
Well, the coach in me still counts a walk thorugh as a practice Oliver!

There's nothing I want to see more than Jay take us to the SB and to win it, but seriously, his injury deal is setting us back again and it's getting old. Same thing over and over. It's especially frustrating after seeing how well he played vs the Titans.

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Well, the coach in me still counts a walk thorugh as a practice Oliver!

There's nothing I want to see more than Jay take us to the SB and to win it, but seriously, his injury deal is setting us back again and it's getting old. Same thing over and over. It's especially frustrating after seeing how well he played vs the Titans.

I agree with you 100%.

Oliver...

This injury is in no way, shape, or form is setting us back (no pun intended). If anything it is putting us in an even better position.

First of all it's not serious. All indications are that Jay could play, no problem, if the game actually counted tonight. Okay, they could be lying to avoid a sh*t storm but, at this point I'm going to take their word for it. The reason Rrodr038, used only last year as an example was to illustrate that Jay OBVIOUSLY doesn't need to take every snap in the preseason to be effective at the start of the regular season. So, if he is injury prone like we think, this is just extra time off where we don't have to worry about him getting hurt more seriously and possibly missing real game time.

Second, this gives the team and BG an opportunity to see BG working with the first team offense, in game conditions, that they wouldn't have if Jay was healthy. He//, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a *wink wink* injury just to avoid the fall out of wanting to see Brian work with the first team O and starting him over a healthy Jay.

Mike, I agree that Fiedler may be made of glass but, at this point, this particular injury is more good than bad. IMO.

Last edited:

i tend to agree with this. well put 38. you used the facts the best way possible. This is my take overall, that wanny lets fiedler rest especially after a surgeory. we all see what he did against the titans. why risk injury against the bucs who will be agressive no matter what? griese needs the reps and so does sage. We all know jay can run this offense but we dont know what these guys can do against a defense like tampas. The thing here media wise is that this falls right into their thing with the QB controversy. I dont think a little back pain is seriously keeping jay from playing. its only keeping him from playing a meaningless preseason game and the first one at that!

Originally posted by inFINSible
This injury is in no way, shape, or form is setting us back (no pun intended). If anything it is putting us in an even better position.

First of all it's not serious. All indications are that Jay could play, no problem, if the game actually counted tonight. Okay, they could be lying to avoid a sh*t storm but, at this point I'm going to take their word for it. The reason Rrodr038, used only last year as an example was to illustrate that Jay OBVIOUSLY doesn't need to take every snap in the preseason to be effective at the start of the regular season. So, if he is injury prone like we think, this is just extra time off where we don't have to worry about him getting hurt more seriously a possibly missing real game time.

Second, this gives the team and BG an opportunity to see BG working with the first team offense, in game conditions, that they wouldn't have if Jay was healthy. He//, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a *wink wink* injury just to avoid the fall out of wanting to see Brian work with the first team O and starting him over a healthy Jay.

Mike, I agree that Fiedler may be made of glass but, at this point, this injury is more good than bad. IMO.

Fiedler made of glass? isnt that a bit of a reach? If you hit your hand on a helmet the way jay did would you have broken your finger? i think most would have and i see it all the time with QB's. Is donovan mcnabb made of glass cus he missed alot of games last year? i think i hear frustrations coming out of everyone and not reality. your feeding off the crap that is written everyday.

Originally posted by finfan54

Fiedler made of glass? isnt that a bit of a reach? If you hit your hand on a helmet the way jay did would you have broken your finger? i think most would have and i see it all the time with QB's. Is donovan mcnabb made of glass cus he missed alot of games last year? i think i hear frustrations coming out of everyone and not reality. your feeding off the crap that is written everyday.

Give me a break, it's a figure of speech for god sake, relax. And I did say MAY BE. Now if you go back and read the WHOLE post, you'll see that we said basically the same thing. Stop jumping at shadows.

Right now this back thing is not a big deal. Fiedler looked GREAT against the Titans, and face it, he doesn't need to play 10-15 reps tonight against Tampa to prove anything.

If he's out all next week and the next game, I'll agree it may be a problem. But I'll only really be worried when the games start counting. And, right now Griese getting more practice should improve our insurance policy in case JF is injured.

I'd still love to see him out there against Tampa. Missing the game won't kill us. But he still needs to be out there.

I tend to agree with both 38 and InFins on this one. This gives Brian a chance to work with the first string in a real game situation, and Jay having to miss one pre-season game isn't that big of a deal. I am sure he will play in the remaining games, and I am sure he will be back at practice next week.

i believe that fiedler has earned the right to start...that being said,griese was signed for 2 years because the staff wants to see who is the better qb...staying healthy is part of it...im just happy that we have a very capable backup so last year does not repeat itself...as long as the dolphins win, i dont care who the starter is...

I also tend to agree with 38, Infins and 87. Football is a game of injuries. Last year the Bucs lost Buger Mcfarland who was a huge part of their team's "D". They could have saw it as OH NO we have no chance, or see it as they did by saying, HEY winners do the best they can with what they have.
The points brought up are valid and are things you can look at when the season is over while looking at possible moves. But to do it now puts a negative spin on things. The power of positive thinking is a huge thing in sports. Look at how the whole December thing as gotten blown out of proportion. Now they all admit it is something they think about when things get tight late in the season. It takes strong wills to overcome this kind of talk. This is not a team with those kinds of players. We have no one like Sapp who can put the team on his shoulders and say "It's us against the world. Lets go down swinging". I hope Jr is the one who can give us that.
But for us to sit around with the doom and gloom atitude that Jay won't make it so we may as well throw in the towel now and be done with it just adds to the chance that something bad will happen.
I would much rather look at the positive. Last year we thought Lucas played pretty good in Preseason. He got to play with the 1st team guys a lot and still when it counted he choked. Now with Jay missing time BG gets to see what it is like vs the best "D" in the league. How can this be bad. If Jay had looked terrible vs Tenn I would want to see some more work also, but him missing one game early in preseason WILL NOT screw up his timing to the point it will hurt his regular season. Besides playing the bucs will be different than playing other teams, your timing is gonna get messed up. They play at a different speed. I hate them more than about any other team in sports (besides Duke) but I have to give it to em they are awesome.
So come on guys lets just look at all the great things that could happen. Like Simons being the next Mark Clayton, Eddie Moore becoming the next LT, Wade Smith turning over night into J. Odgen or Lonnie Sherriff turnng into the next Marino. They are things that we can't know for sure either but it is a lot more fun to think about than Jay getting hurt. Ok Sheriff to Dan seems to be less than a sure thing .......but it could happen.....well it could.....on some planet. lol:cool:

Back
Top Bottom