For those of you who want Frerrote back... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those of you who want Frerrote back...

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
Well IMO bringing back Gus Frerrote as the backup in '06 would be a great idea. Because that is what he is, a backup QB in the NFL. But if he were our starter, it would be a repeat of this season.

QB Rating: 70.3 (28th among NFL starters, below the likes of Bollinger & Farve)
Yards: 2757 (17th among NFL starters)
TDs: 17 (12th among NFL starters but Chambers is helpin that out)
Comp %: The worst part of all 51.2% (This is last among all starters, and 59th overall)

The worst part of all is he had a chance to beat Atlanta and New England and didn't step up.

He also lost the 2ns Buffalo game only to have Rosenfels save his butt.

FRERROTE IS A BACKUP, NOT TO BE OUR STARTER IN '06!!!

You know what? If Miami can get a legitimate starter in the offseason, they will do it. They aren't going to replace Gus Frerotte with another back up quarterback though. That's ridiculous to even think about. I've seen John Kitna's name thrown out there by a lot of posters. Why in the hell would you replace a stop gap with another stop gap?

So who do we teach the new system to and trust they can do better? He will be our starter in 06 go ahead and prepare yourself.

hunter5nc1 said:
So who do we teach the new system to and trust they can do better? He will be our starter in 06 go ahead and prepare yourself.

I was planning on watching the Dolphins in the playoffs this time next year. But if you're right, I will be disappointed again:cry:

I'm not a fortune teller but I feel like frerotte will at least start the year as our starter.

I don't know that anyone necessarily wants Gus to start for us next year. I think that we need to upgrade the quarterback position for the long term this offseason, but I'm not sure bringing in an equally inconsistent veteran quarterback as a stop-gap is the answer to our problems. If we get our QB of the future, I am 100% content for next season - even if he has to backup Frerotte until he learns the offense. I really don't want to see us bring in yet another veteran stopgap and have to watch his growing pains as he learns the offense unless that veteran quarterback is of the McNair/Culpepper caliber.

KB21 said:
You know what? If Miami can get a legitimate starter in the offseason, they will do it. They aren't going to replace Gus Frerotte with another back up quarterback though. That's ridiculous to even think about. I've seen John Kitna's name thrown out there by a lot of posters. Why in the hell would you replace a stop gap with another stop gap?

Exactly. It absolutely kills me to hear some of you guys throw around Kitna's name. He and Frerotte are almost identical except for the fact that Frerotte knows the offense and has experience working with the receivers we have. Replacing Frerotte with Kitna is a change in form, not substance.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
The worst part of all is he had a chance to beat Atlanta and New England and didn't step up.

Chambers had a chance to beat New England and didn't step it up. Guess he should be a back up in 06 also.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Well IMO bringing back Gus Frerrote as the backup in '06 would be a great idea. Because that is what he is, a backup QB in the NFL. But if he were our starter, it would be a repeat of this season.

Comp %: The worst part of all 51.2% (This is last among all starters, and 59th overall)

First of all, your thread title suggests there are alot of people screaming for Frerotte's return - which is not the case. Secondly, and in Frerotte's defense, he wasn't why we lost the games against NE and Atlanta. There is plenty of blame to go around for all of our losses. For example, Ronnie fumbled against Buffalo. Chambers dropped a TD pass against Atlanta that would have won it. Then there is the record breaking penalty tear we were on for the first part of the season.
Of course, Frerotte isn't exactly the type of QB who is going to win you games with his arm. But he didn't go out and single-handedly lose any either. I think that was the type of QB who makes a good back-up QB. But for this year, that's what we had to work with. There is no doubt that a quality starting QB is on Saban's mind as we head into the offseason. Whether we get that QB or not, Gus may be back with us, either as a backup or as the guy that plays while a young QB gets ready.
Lastly, the big plays were way up with Gus (in contrast to Fiedler and Feeley) despite his low completion percentage. The plus side is that there is nowhere to go but UP with that number. So if he ends up starting again next year, I have a feeling the numbers for everyone on offense (particularly the QB and recievers) will be up.

Dolfan99 said:
Chambers had a chance to beat New England and didn't step it up. Guess he should be a back up in 06 also.

Yea i guess youre right, chambers, OUR PRO BOWLER WR should be a backup

Aqua4Ever04 said:

Frerotte has steadily improved throughout the season. His timing, and chemistry with the receiving core gets better every week. Bringing in another journeyman QB would be this year part 2, and a rookie will not be ready to start next year.

Miami has a very strong run game that usually gets half the snaps. As inaccurate as Gus has been, there have been such as many dropped passes.

TDs: 17 (12th among NFL starters but Chambers is helping that out)

That's like saying that Palmer and Manning are getting help from C. Johnson, and M. Harrison. Isn't that what how it's supposed to be??
:confused:

Again, Gus put a lot of passes on the money, or in a catchable position that were dropped. IMO at least half the passes not completed were catchable, that would give Gus a completion % of about 75%. That's not bad.

Gus will be the starter next year unless we pick up somebody like Breeze, or lienart but I doubt that we get either of those guys. I do not want to sit around and wait another year for some temp QB to click with the receivers. i also don't want to Kamikaze a rookie QB and damage him.

Another stat that is not shown is the pick6, or lack there of in Gus' case.

Aqua4Ever04 said:

You're overexaggerating a little bit here. NO ONE PERSON LOSES A GAME, ESPECIALLY NOT IN FOOTBALL. Chambers did drop the TD in the New England game, and Gus did give us a lead with 3:25 seconds left in the game. Lost the second game to Buffalo? You do remember us being down 21-0 after the 1st quarter bc our defense was playing awful. Atlanta game, he didn't lose it for us. We should have lost. We were outgained on offense I think 2-1, lost the TOP 2-1, and if it wasn't for the Rossum and Griffith fumble we would've had no chance in that game, Gus threw a bad pass on a very wrong read, but hardly ALL his fault. Who do you want? One of these off the wall trades to get Culpepper, or Rivers? Rivers is just as unproven as Gus is and we'd have to trade a huge portion of our draft and upcoming drafts for Daunte (not too mention had the worst injury a football player can have almost). Or how about sign Drew Brees? he's goign nowhere. Or sign McNair or Kerry Collins? Why go after those guys and mortgage our future? Why not draft or sign a young guy and let him sit and learn the offense for a year and let Gus do his thing? Gus isn't the greatest, but he's what we have. Might as well support that right?

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Yea I guess youre right, chambers, OUR PRO BOWLER WR should be a backup

He was bieng sarcastic, and no one hereis in love with Gus as you implied, but it wouldn't suprise me to see him stay as the starter for next year.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I was planning on watching the Dolphins in the playoffs this time next year. But if you're right, I will be disappointed again:cry:

Oh I guess if Chris didn't drop that TD in the Pats game or Ronnie didn't fumble in that Bills game going in for a score, or maybe when we decided to pass vs. ATL on the goal line we wouldn't be right there in the playoff race WITH Gus as our QB.

Get of Gus' wang....

He can lead this team to the playoffs. He almost did it this year. With a few more offseason additions, we should improve as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom