For those who say our defensive scheme is too "vanilla" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who say our defensive scheme is too "vanilla"

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
... consider the words of The Sporting News's Dan Pompeii.

The best defense in the NFL in 2002, the one that won the Super Bowl, was the simplest. The Buccaneers don't use a lot of fancy blitzes or try to outthink offenses. They basically line up the same way almost every play and are ready for any possibility because each player has his assignments down cold.

It's all about execution. Towards the end of last season -- particularly on the road -- our very talented defense had several costly mental lapses. This is not the result of a faulty defensive scheme, it is an aberration.

What the Dolphins have lacked is not fancy formations or confounding blitzes. It's something much simpler: mental toughness. It's not something you can necessarily coach, nor is it something individual athletes may possess. It is a team mentality of tenacious precision that is borne out of chemistry and fostered by fiery leadership.

That's why I think the Dolphins have made the right moves this offseason. I think the unit we're putting together can execute what some may view as a "vanilla" defense at such a level of precision as to more closely resemble vanilla ice cream: simple, sweet and chilling to opponents.

The best defense in the NFL in 2002, the one that won the Super Bowl, was the simplest. The Buccaneers don't use a lot of fancy blitzes or try to outthink offenses. They basically line up the same way almost every play and are ready for any possibility because each player has his assignments down cold.

If that's the way the Pats played us then we would've beaten them, but noooooo, they had to throw different D shcemes and confused the hell out of Einstien even.

This year will be different, we've hired better coaches.

The Bucs also had more talented players who can simply overpower the opposition. This only works if you can be dominant in certain areas.

This D is not dominant, more like very good.

Mix it up or we'll get beat.

How do you Know we can't be dominant this year phinstd?

Originally posted by Phinstd
The Bucs also had more talented players who can simply overpower the opposition. This only works if you can be dominant in certain areas.

This D is not dominant, more like very good.

Mix it up or we'll get beat.

They do not have more talent than the Dolphins. Especially now.

Oliver...

Originally posted by justafan

If that's the way the Pats played us then we would've beaten them, but noooooo, they had to throw different D shcemes and confused the hell out of Einstien even.

This year will be different, we've hired better coaches.

we handled them pretty good... BOTH times...

what coaches did you hire???? and how are they better????

lets compare our D to the bucs D

DE - Taylor DE - Rice = Taylor
DT - Bowens DT - Sapp = Sapp
DT - Chester DT - Mcfarland = mcfarland
DE - OGun DE - Spires = OGun
OLB - Greenwood OLB Brooks = Brooks
MLB - Thomas MLB - Duncan = Thomas
OLB - Seau OLB Quarles = Seau
FS - Marion FS - Jackson = Marion
SS - Knight SS - Lynch = Knight (lynch is very overrated)

i would say our defense has the advantage. we will be dominant.

DOMINANCE

Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl because their defensive line annihilated the Raiders OL, forcing Gannon into 5 INTs (3 for TDs) while obliterating the running game.

Well you guys can think and speculate all you want. This team has not proven anything on a football field and the Bucs have.

I think this team can be good, but we will need to be creative and stop thinking we can just be better than everyone else on D. Coaches make the money they do for a reason, they can design matchups to give players trouble.

Also, you can't just line up players and pick who's you rather have and count the numbers up. The players we have who are better are only slightly so. Sapp and McFarland are far better players than Timbo and Chester. Plus, they actually give a push to the QB. Something our DT's do not do, nor are they supposed to. Another reason you can't compare these two D's. I've found it funny we always compare ourselves to a one gap defensive line playing, zone cover-2 defensive backfield who plays completely different LB schemes as well. Their top LB is an OLB, ours is a MLB. They do completely different things.

We use a two gap D-line, press man to man coverage deep S defensive backfield. Lynch is like another LB, our S do not do that.

Completely different defenses.

Also funny how if Pompei says something you agree with you use it as an example, but if he dogs on the Phins he's an idiot.

You ask how I know the Phins won't be dominant? Because I've watched close to the same team each year a year younger as well not be.

Let me ask you how you know they WILL be dominant? Because you want them to? Not a great example to go by there buddy.

This team needs to be creative and use the talent we have, CB's who can cover should be allowed to do so and the other players should pressure at times it is needed.

Originally posted by Phinstd
Well you guys can think and speculate all you want. This team has not proven anything on a football field and the Bucs have.

I think this team can be good, but we will need to be creative and stop thinking we can just be better than everyone else on D. Coaches make the money they do for a reason, they can design matchups to give players trouble.

Also, you can't just line up players and pick who's you rather have and count the numbers up. The players we have who are better are only slightly so. Sapp and McFarland are far better players than Timbo and Chester. Plus, they actually give a push to the QB. Something our DT's do not do, nor are they supposed to. Another reason you can't compare these two D's. I've found it funny we always compare ourselves to a one gap defensive line playing, zone cover-2 defensive backfield who plays completely different LB schemes as well. Their top LB is an OLB, ours is a MLB. They do completely different things.

We use a two gap D-line, press man to man coverage deep S defensive backfield. Lynch is like another LB, our S do not do that.

Completely different defenses.

Also funny how if Pompei says something you agree with you use it as an example, but if he dogs on the Phins he's an idiot.

You ask how I know the Phins won't be dominant? Because I've watched close to the same team each year a year younger as well not be.

Let me ask you how you know they WILL be dominant? Because you want them to? Not a great example to go by there buddy.

This team needs to be creative and use the talent we have, CB's who can cover should be allowed to do so and the other players should pressure at times it is needed.

What's your point here? Are you trying to tell me, because someone usually types idiotic things that even when he does not type idiotic things we should still think he's an idiot? Maybe he's back on his medicine?

Of course it's all on paper, the Dolphins D has yet to live up to their billing. However, at this point you can make a strong case that the Dolphins have the more talented group of defenders.

Oliver...

Pompei is generally right about the Bucs, but the points that have been made about talent are true - the rating of the LB's was invalid. If you put Brooks against Seau and Quarles against Greenwood - Bucs win!

The fact is, the Bucs are a much more swarming defense and a faster one. While they don't do anything fancy they are an attack defense, not a "read and react" one. They shoot gaps and are very fast and aggressive.

I would say their scheme is better and their players are faster on the DL and LB and that allows them to play within a very aggressive system, even though there are not a lot of tricks.

In our system, I think we need to do certain things to attack more. The fact is that one of the reasons we did not get so many turnovers last year is that we were too vanilla. Rather than force the offense into mistakes, we try to make sure we don't make big mistakes.

I'm hopeful we will be a bit more aggressive and even Zach Thomas thinks we should be (as well as some other players). I'll take Zach's view over Pompeii - but, even Pompeii's comments don't apply to us as much as the Bucs for the reasons stated.

Originally posted by Flipper34
lets compare our D to the bucs D

DE - Taylor DE - Rice = Taylor
DT - Bowens DT - Sapp = Sapp
DT - Chester DT - Mcfarland = mcfarland
DE - OGun DE - Spires = OGun
OLB - Greenwood OLB Brooks = Brooks
MLB - Thomas MLB - Duncan = Thomas
OLB - Seau OLB Quarles = Seau
FS - Marion FS - Jackson = Marion
SS - Knight SS - Lynch = Knight (lynch is very overrated)

i would say our defense has the advantage. we will be dominant.

I wouldn't say Knight is better than Lynch. That is streching it a little bit.

I neve cared for Lynch.

Seems like he just gets some recognition cause he can hit hard..

Back
Top Bottom