Former Dolphin Minkah Fitzpatrick speaks on fallout with Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Dolphin Minkah Fitzpatrick speaks on fallout with Miami

“Finally, in August, Fitzpatrick confronted Flores about it. Nothing too serious yet. He just asked if he could get some coverage reps in, to show the new staff what he was capable of. Maybe seeing his athleticism in person would change their minds.

Right? Wrong. The trial lasted all of one practice, Fitzpatrick says, and he was given “barely” any coverage work at all.

That’s when Fitzpatrick decided he’d had enough and, he admits, went rogue. He wanted coaches to see it, even though they were refusing to. So he up and left those hand-to-hand combat drills and jogged across the field to 1-on-1s.

“They were frustrated at me for doing that, but I was like, ‘I’m not trying to sit here and punch a bag all day,'” Fitzpatrick says.”

I read that, and all I hear is...

554d862ff6003b9acaeacf2fc39a03df.png

It doesn't matter if its sport or business you need every one on the same page. Some times you sacrifice on the short term to gain big down the road.
I have plenty of time for what Flo is trying to build but there will be struggles both last season and this one but long term players will gain recognition winning games may be even a SB and can look back on their careers positively.

I wanted the Dolphins to draft him but if he had a problem with the way they coached him and it upset him that much that he went rouge on them he had to go, all in all it's a team game and the Dolphins looked like were trying to toughen him up to play closer to the line of scrimmage at times. Like how he how is saying he will play where ever they want, I'm calling BS.....

Logan Ryan still sitting out there and may be good insurance for Xavien and start at safety, price still a bit high but you never know.

It's a tough call, every player's career span is short and can end in a moment. I cannot really blame a player if he is truly sure of a coaching fit mismatch, it's kind of like dating --- better to pull the band-aid off sooner rather than later in general. But for contrast, look at Mike Gesicki. Under Gase he was asked to block a ton and probably was thinking some of the same things Minkah was. Instead he sucked it up, kept growing, but it took a change of coaches and a couple years of waiting to finally get a good fit. They both took different roads and it seems to be working out well for both of them.

My question though is, how honest was he in that interview? It seems strange that they wouldn't let him mix in FS responsibilities if that's what he wanted -- if it went down as he says I do blame the coaching staff, but I do have doubts.

Maybe this will shine a light for some fans to realize that sometimes when a young player doesn't look overly impressive in their early seasons it might be because of their usage or the scheme they're in. It's not always all on the player just not living up to expectations.
I guess you missed the part about him going rogue.

I guess you missed the part about him going rogue.

Going rogue as in going from one practice drill to working with other dbs in another drill. We're not talking about going rogue in games "We're talking about practice!. We're talking about practice man!"

I hate egotistical players all the time.
All players and coaches are egotistical or they never would have made it to the NFL. If you don’t think you are among the best players or coaches in the game, you have no chance of having success in the highest
level of the game.
Some players and coaches just have a different way of dealing in public but come game day, every player better believe he is better than the player he is going up against or he will soon see what the NFL stands for
if he isn’t one of the best. That NFL being “not for long”.

Didn't he drop in the draft before we got him? Maybe there's a reason, looking back. Flores and Grier want players who want to be here and a part of what they're building, either buy in, or be gone. I won't miss him.

Back
Top Bottom