Former Fins RBs Suggest Solutions to Ricky's Problems | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Fins RBs Suggest Solutions to Ricky's Problems

relive1972

Premium Member
Reaction score
''I thought about calling him and telling him to move about 4 yards closer to the line of scrimmage,'' Morris said. ``I watch him on TV and he lines up 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage. That's insane.''

Kiick believes lining up so far from the line isn't a problem for a running back playing behind a great line.

''You have make sure youre line's pretty good because you're asking them to hold their block a lot longer,'' he said. ``Obviously, it's tough to ask this line to do that right now.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7259140.htm

yeah i guess thats true. i've never thought of that as a problem i guess because williams did it last year.

You can really see this when you are at the game and it drives me nuts.

It takes so long for the play to develop when he is back that far that there have been times where you will see a hole that will close by the time that he gets there.

I would love to see some running plays that are closer to the line and can develop more quickly

What about leaving Ricky at center, that way he can snap the ball and run.:D

I truly am also concerned that the Dolphins are going to burn Ricky out. Who else can we put in there to relieve him?

Originally posted by njfinfan
I truly am also concerned that the Dolphins are going to burn Ricky out. Who else can we put in there to relieve him?

Minor?

Minor seems to get positive yards every time he's in.

Maybe he should become the 3rd down back again. . . :confused:

XOPhinsoX,

"Minor?

Maybe he should become the 3rd down back again". . .

Absolutely...it should be Minor and you are 100% correct he does get positive yards everytime he's in there.

He's a flat out palymaker

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
XOPhinsoX,

"Minor?

Maybe he should become the 3rd down back again". . .

Absolutely...it should be Minor and you are 100% correct he does get positive yards everytime he's in there.

The biggest knock on him was he's not built to be an every down back. But he reminds me alot of Warrick Dunn. He's small quick and can explode for the big play. You rarely see him get stuffed for negative yards, even with our anemic line because he hit's the hole extremely quick.

Since the Lamar Smith days, just about everybody has been dying to see Minor play a bigger part in this offense, and he still seems to get short changed.

I think the coaching staff was so enamored last year with RW, that they decided to keep him in on 3rd downs. But it seems to have backfired. I think they need to conceede to that fact and bring Minor in 3rd down situations again, except 3rd and short.

That boy can flat out play and he's been chomping at the bit for a while.

I know - but 34phins, but even he said he was tired. I'm agreeing with minor back in on third downs also.

Iregaurdless of his carry totals

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Burn him out? he has gotten like a total of 33 carries in his last 3 games.

He still has to pass block and catch passes out of the backfield or serve as a decoy. Either way lining up every down and going through the motions will burn you out.

Well his stats for 9 games last year compare to this year are:

2002- (rush) 197 att= 811 yds, (recv) 26 rec= 258 yds= 1,069 tot yds, 6 td, 4 fumbles

2003- (rush) 210 att= 697 yds, (recv) 31 rec= 193 yds= 890 tot yds, 5 td, 5 fumbles

He has an avg of 2 more touches per game (+7%) but a reduction of almost 20 yds per game (-17%).

IMO it seems that he should not be tired, but it looks like the defenses are definitley key on him and are not worried about any other player in our offense. Opponents placing their game plan around RW and challenging others to beat them.

GOOO FFIIINZ

:cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point by Morris.

Williams looks like he's lining way too far fom the line.

They can see where he's going. It's logical.

We must also point out the fact that when Minor is in the opposing defenses rarely stack more then 5 in the box. With Ricky its a nominal 6-7 unless it's a running down and they put in 8-9.

Minor just has a little less traffic to contend with.

Back
Top Bottom