Former Miami Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano Passes Away | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Miami Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano Passes Away

I was as critical as anyone here of Sparano’s coaching post-2009, and I think keeping him on for the 2011 season was a colossal mistake and essentially Ross’ blundering costing the team an entire season. But I never attacked the man personally, and honestly I don’t recall him being attacked personally; certainly it didn’t happen often.

Even a coach like Philbin, who accomplished much less and was a much worse coach, hasn’t been subject to personal attacks. Whatever faults this board has, I don’t think it can be fairly accused of personally attacking the coaches or players (and the moderators certainly deserve credit for deleting any posts which did go too far).

This one got me. Really speaks to the kind of person he was. Even when Jake probably knew his days in the NFL were numbered after his body had totally broken down and failed him, Sparano still stood by and believed in him. And let Jake know it. You can't teach loyalty like that.

RIP coach.

RIP Tony

bf49e6b94fb9f756887f8f5121624f12.jpg

Rest easy Tony.

It’s a good reminder that life is short and that unexpected things happen. The Dolphins are an outlet that all of us are passionate about, and I’m grateful for the users of this site to be able to share that passion together. Never take anything for granted, we never know when our time is up.

56 is simply too young. Too much living to do still. Prayers for his family and friends to deal with his loss and for the rest of us to make the most of every day as you just never know...

That 2008 season was the most satisfying one we've had since perhaps the early 90s. To come back from 1/15 the prior year to taking the East at 11-5 was mind-blowing.

RIP Coach, and thanks.

RIP Tony

The details coming out are making this already tragic situation even worse....

He went to the hospital on Thursday complaining of chest pain, was tested and released by doctors Friday??

Dead in his kitchen on Sunday? how the **** does that happen....

The same thing happened to my dad's dad in the early 70s. Went in for chest pains in the morning, was released mid day and had a massive heart attack laying on the sofa that evening. Very sad.

I expected to come here and see a mountain of posts in tribute. Only four pages after two days? I guess what happens on a message board after we pass doesn't mean crap anyway, but I thought there would be more discussion about a guy who was part of pretty recent Dolphin history as a head coach no less and by all accounts seemed to be a real decent guy. I guess some still can't forgive him for blowing a 24-3 lead against the Saints.

I don't really know what to say though. Good guy, mediocre coach but at least had certifiable success with the Dolphins at some point, gone too young and without that much warning. It's hard for me to fathom that he's gone.

This one got me. Really speaks to the kind of person he was. Even when Jake probably knew his days in the NFL were numbered after his body had totally broken down and failed him, Sparano still stood by and believed in him. And let Jake know it. You can't teach loyalty like that.

RIP coach.

I expected to come here and see a mountain of posts in tribute. Only four pages after two days? I guess what happens on a message board after we pass doesn't mean crap anyway, but I thought there would be more discussion about a guy who was part of pretty recent Dolphin history as a head coach no less and by all accounts seemed to be a real decent guy. I guess some still can't forgive him for blowing a 24-3 lead against the Saints.

I don't really know what to say though. Good guy, mediocre coach but at least had certifiable success with the Dolphins at some point, gone too young and without that much warning. It's hard for me to fathom that he's gone.
See and I feel the opposite. To me there is more dialogue than I expected given it is the offseason (traffic not as heavy on board) and that he didn’t coach for us for a real long time. I feel the FH members are here and paying their respects and it just feels “right”. The former player tweets are pretty telling as to how they felt about him as a person. Very sad to pass so young.

Back
Top Bottom