Former Saban lovers, I'm curious.......... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Saban lovers, I'm curious..........

He's a good college coach. He is where he needs to be.

I think people need to stop being so psychotic over this deal. If anything, I see Huizenga and the contract that he had to pull to get him here was the problem. Saban was experimenting when his heart was not completely into it.

I hate Saban for handling it the way he did, but the devil in the details enabled him to do this. That is why Huizenga treated this situation the way he did. He made a deal with the devil.

I'm pissed off. It's like being a friendly, good-hearted, neighborhood lawyer who defends a guy (who is on trial for murder) to the very end only to find out he really did it, ya know?

I'm pissed off. It's like being a friendly, good-hearted, neighborhood lawyer who defends a guy (who is on trial for murder) to the very end only to find out he really did it, ya know?

Don't worry Silver, I think some bad stuff will follow Saban. Saban has never stuck with any job for more than 3-4 years. What will Alabamans think once they realized that Jesus is really Steve Martin. Saban said Alabama will be his last stop. Its cus he knows he has damaged his reputation and he has 8 years to fix it. But the college ranks are very competitive these days and you can bet LSU and Auburn will want to burn Saban at every turn!

It will provide great entertainment for us!

I supported Saban. And I thought he was going to do great things in Miami. How do I feel now? In a word: Disappointed.

Saban made his fair share of mistakes. But he also did a few things right.

It's easy to say he should have taken Brees over Culpepper. But half the coaches in the NFL, and in college for that matter, would have made the the same decision. I don't fault Saban for that. And the jury is still out. The only thing you can safely say at this point is that choosing Culpepper over Brees was a huge mistake as far as the 2006 season goes.

LJ Shelton was a bust (at left tackle). Capers was great.

JT had his best season ever with Saban as HC. Coincidence? Maybe.

Linehan was excellent. As was Ricky Williams last year. The absence of both of them was beyond Saban's control.

Mularkey was a mistake. But Ronnie Brown has proven to be the best RB (so far) of the three that went in the Top Ten in the 2005 draft. We could have taken Alex Smith and Frank Gore, but guess what? SF went 7-9 this year. Are they really that much better off than the Fins?

I don't respect Saban anymore because he lied. I mean, everybody lies at some point in their life, but man did Saban get caught in a whopper. I do believe that hadn't made a decision about whether or not he was going to Alabama when he uttered the now infamous, "I am not going to be the Alabama coach." But he was speaking in half-truths.

His arrogance toward the press was unfounded and uncalled for.
Bad-mouthing his "personnel" was unprofessional.
Not addressing the players, the media, or his assistants in person when he left was bad form.

I would have liked to see him turn things around next year. But his heart wasn't in it. Does that make Saban sound like a cry-baby? You bet it does. And I would rather have a coach that actually wants to be here.

I don't think Saban left because he couldn't "hack it" in the NFL. And I don't think he felt like he was failing or was beyond being able to turn things around.

I don't think he was enjoying being a head coach in the NFL. I think Saban felt obligated to Huizenga, and when Huizenga let him off the hook, he jumped at a coaching opportunity that doesn't come along very often.

I don't know if Saban regrets the way he went about it. But he should.

I wasn't a "Saban Lover" but I did support the hire and hoped he would decide to stay, right until the end.

And I'm not mad at him for leaving, I'm just disappointed that he turned out to be something different than what I thought he was. And disappointed that he handled the situation in such a classless, sleazy manner. I feel that he outed himself as a liar, a coward and a spineless pu$$y, which is disappointing to see.

I still think he's a quality football coach, and think that if he'd had the heart, dedication and integrity to stay and do his best, he would eventually have gotten this team turned around.

<shrug> That said, it's over now, so it's probably time to quit worrying about the past and just focus on the future. </shrug>

Edit: one last thought... if his heart wasn't into being here, then we're better off without him. Which is another reason I say let's quit worrying about Saban and just worry about moving into the future and a new era of Dolphins excellence.

Disappointed.

I'm angry, and, hurt.......Less by the actual leaving, as much as how Saban handled it.

Life is a big boy game and, I expect it to be played by men.

Not giving Miami the opportunity to vent on him with the courtesy of a PC
is a punk move, considering his rap, and, record.

I think much of the ill feeling would've been dissapated if he'd've just stood up and taken his beating like a man.

i dont feel anything toward saban personally. he was a great college coach. he came to the nfl. two years here, and he was 15-17. now considering the personnel problems we had, this isn't too bad. he was around .500 with a team a lot of coaches wouldnt be able to coach to such a record.

i think saban realized that he is a better college coach than a pro one. he knew it would be tough to make this team elite.

and he did the right thing. his heart wasn't here, his family didnt like it here. there was no way he could avoid reality. of course saban wanted to win a Super Bowl. But he decided that whats best for him, his family, and the DOLPHINS would be for him to go back to college.

would anyone have preferred him staying here doing something he didnt want to be doing?

Saban recently said that he wasn't going to take the Miami job until Huizenga talked him into it. His heart was never here. He didn't lead the team in a definitive direction. In his two years we failed to get younger, we failed to get franchise qb (unless DC comes back 100%), we also failed to acquire veteran players to add to JT, Thomas, and RB. I believe that the latter may have been Saban's intentions but he was unsuccesful. Thus we are left with a team that may need to rebuild. Many of the moves he made in the draft and free agency were questionable and maybe he made those decisions because his heart wasn't in the pro game. I guess I feel like he shouldn't have put the team and our fans through this circus and charades that has been this season. He could have stepped down before the season. The rumors that he wasn't happy started during the beginning of the season. In the end he may made bad decisions on Sundays and during the offseason so we should not be too concerned with his departure but rather who will replace him.

Kids, don't read this post, as this guy's got my dander up.....

He's a punk-*ss b*tch in my opinion and I'm not even a Fins fan. What a cowardly, lying POS. Anyone who saw his press conferences last week could tell he was lying through his teeth. What a jerk--typical of the times, "all about me" and "look out for number 1", never mind any commitments I've made to others. I hope 'Bama goes 0-11 next year, it would serve him right. In typical cowardly fashion he doesn't even meet with Huizenga to tell him the news in person and then takes no questions from the media who he'd lied to the last few months. He and Herm Edwards ought to form a club....

Even before all of this, I thought he was a self-righteous *ss who took himself too seriously--from his friendship with Belijerk, to his demeanor on the sidelines, to turning down dinner with the President (and I've got no love for W, but if the President asks you to dinner, you go), to his memo to staff telling them not to talk to him in the halls, etc. A first class p*rick, who hopefully will get what he deserves down the line.

Best of luck with the coaching search, but from a character standpoint, you've got nowhere to go but up.....

I'm not trying to sit here and point out that you were all wrong. I just am curious how you really feel about the man right now after all of the staunch defending and belief that everything he was doing was going to turn this ship around. I seemed like according those backing him, that it was an absolute given he'd re-establish the franchise and get us an SB.

Sports Illustrated thought the team was going to be good this year like a lot of us did. They picked us to go to the Super Bowl. They had some positive articles about Saban as I recall. Everyone was sort of associating him with Belichick because they were old friends, etc. Gotta admit, a lot of people thought he could get us into the playoffs at least.

Not that I'm defending Saban for this firestorm, but there were a bunch of things that came up that were out of Saban's control ... like Daunte's knee not rehabbing as expected, Ronnie's hand being broken in the Lions game and missing 3 games, Joey not coming through as people hoped, injuries on the offensive line, OL position changes, etc.

Those early games were particularly damaging to the season. Daunte probably worked pretty hard on his rehab, but his knee just wouldn't cooperate. He definitely wasn't the 2004 Daunte. When you have big problems in the passing game in this league, you just aren't going to win many games. Our defense is pretty solid. Even our secondary got better (at times) as the season went on.

After we demolished the Bears in Chicago, I thought we had a decent shot of finishing good and squeeking into the playoffs. The Titans nearly squeeked in. That should have been us. We just didn't have consistency. We were really good one game and lackluster the next. It's been a frustrating season to say the least. I got really bummed when Ronnie went down with the broken hand. It wasn't just a minor hand sprain. He had screws in his hand and all that. We had some bad luck this year and not a whole lot of margin for error and injuries and all that ... not in the NFL. Imagine if Peyton Manning got hurt. The Colts would instantly go from contenders to underdogs overnight.

The man was a moron when it came to offense. He had one more year to prove himself and by quitting he made it pretty clear that he had no answers for the next season. We're better off without him and we should be celebrating his departure rrather than cursing it. He's a wimp both in life and as a coach on the sideline (see kicking FG against the jets on 4th and 1)

The man was a moron when it came to offense. He had one more year to prove himself and by quitting he made it pretty clear that he had no answers for the next season. We're better off without him and we should be celebrating his departure rrather than cursing it. He's a wimp both in life and as a coach on the sideline (see kicking FG against the jets on 4th and 1)

Best post within two weeks on this board that I've read regarding Saban. (Brevity counts, kids)

I still think he could have turned the team around. I don't respect him as a man for the way he has handled himself, but I still think he is a good coach and could have been a good one at the NFL level.

Yea...360 degree's.

What do you expect....he was on his cellphone calling the movers....and couldn't be bothered with such details, as a football game.

As a FORMER Saban supporter, I'm upset enough without having it thrown in my face, 1 star.

Well I'll bet with the next headcoach....you'll make him earn any respect due to him....and not just hand it so easily away.

Back
Top Bottom