Four Options: Tua/Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four Options: Tua/Dolphins

Charlie Rivers

FH Member Since 2003!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
"...The franchise tag makes the most sense for the Dolphins and for Tagovailoa's camp. He will get paid nearly $45 million next season under the tag and that is cheaper than Miami would pay him next year on an extension..."

Stopped right there

All these QB's with $50M+ a year contracts and the tag is only $45M. That doesn't quite make sense. The formula they use to come up with these tags numbers is sketchy. Even more reason to abolish the franchise tag.

Hurts, Lawrence, Herbert, Jackson, Goff, Burrow, Allen all at or above $50M a year.

All these QB's with $50M+ a year contracts and the tag is only $45M. That doesn't quite make sense. The formula they use to come up with these tags numbers is sketchy. Even more reason to abolish the franchise tag.

Hurts, Lawrence, Herbert, Jackson, Goff, Burrow, Allen all at or above $50M a year.
Doesn’t it go by that year’s salary and not the AVV?

It’s just the average of the top 5 salaries at the position over the last 5 years, right? So it makes sense that the cap number is lower than the current highest salaries. For example, in 2020, 4 of the top 5 QB salaries were $35 million or less for the season, so that would still affect this year’s cap number.

Last edited:

Time to adjust the formula. I think the tag itself is a good temporary solution between team/player leverage when both are trying to make a decision worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Doesn’t it go by that year’s salary and not the AVV?
It’s just the average of the top 5 salaries at the position over the last 5 years, right? So it makes sense that the cap number is lower than the current highest salaries. For example, in 2020, 4 of the top 5 QB salaries were $35 million or less for the season, so that would still affect this year’s cap number.

Its not the last 5 years, that would be outrageous. But clearly they use a formula that keeps the number as low as possible. Further proving the absurdity of the rule that allows for the communistic franchise tag.

Edit: My bad it is the last 5 years. Thats an outlandish injustice. The tag is HORRIBLE.

Last edited:
Would never need to fully exclusive franchise tag Tua.

Non-exclusive tag or transition tag would do the job.

Its not the last 5 years, that would be outrageous. But clearly they use a formula that keeps the number as low as possible. Further proving the absurdity of the rule that allows for the communistic franchise tag.
Yup. I’m an idiot. Also, further proving how dumb I am, it took me 3 attempts at fixing this.

Would never need to fully exclusive franchise tag Tua.

Non-exclusive tag or transition tag would do the job.
Non exclusive allows matching with draft pick compensation and transition allows matching but with no compensation, is that correct?

Yup. I’m an idiot. Also, further proving how dumb I am, it took me 3 attempts at fixing this.

Actually I think you are correct, it appears it is for the last 5 years.

That in itself is so dumb that I didn't think that was the case.

A gross injustice. NFLPA needs to do better.

I think I can understand both camps.
Tua
I led the league in multiple categories in 2023.
I was healthy all year.
I played behind a bad OL (and site how the Bills and Jets both improved their OLs this past off season).

Ross/Grier

You have not shown you can win in the cold.
You have not shown you can beat play off teams.
You were healthy for only one season.

Seems a simple summary. How do you compromise?

Back
Top Bottom