Four Sharply Changed Narratives About The Dolphins Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four Sharply Changed Narratives About The Dolphins Season

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There have been at least four distinct changes to the narrative about the Dolphins. They are coming from people on one side of the coin, that have all flipped, in a way that I find to be logically inconsistent and excuse making. Not everything is perfect all of the time. Sometimes things are not good, and it is OK to call the team or organization out. To be fair, narratives can and should change based on objective data, if the starting narrative is even realistic to begin with (oftentimes it is not). Here are four of the big narrative changes that seem to be more about excuse making and denial than they are about objective data:

-Vic Fangio now sucks as a DC. When he was hired, the same people were doing backflips. Must have been 100K comments on the Fangio thread about the hire. He is obviously an accomplished coordinator. The defense was pretty good this year and improved from last year. They carried the team the 2nd half of the year after the offense started to roll over. They held up better than the offense in the key games at the end of the year, despite an unreal amount of injuries. Fangio did not suck. Period. In addition to now trying to change the story and claim Fangio sucks, people are making all sorts of excuses for him leaving, like he never wanted to be here in the first place, or he wants to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania. BS. If that stuff was the case, he would not have taken the job here to begin with. Obviously, Fangio did not like it here, and he wanted out. If he was happy, he would not have wanted to leave. To be fair, in this case, it does not mean it is the Dolphins or McDaniels fault. It could simply be oil and water. Old school vs new school. If it doesnt work, it doesnt work. But to claim Fangio sucks is ridiculous. Same can be said for the players on the Dolphins defense that obviously didn't like Fangio. Could it be that the players are too soft and too coddled by McDaniel, and cannot take hard coaching? I am still a fan of McDaniel, but have to be open to that possibility. The way this team looked against better opposition does make you wonder if they are soft. This is not an unfair question to ask. Anyway with regard to Fangio, would it be that hard to just say "he is a good coach and it sucks that it didn't work out with him here, hopefully they find a good replacement."

Here is a good article on the issue from Dave Hyde on the Fangio issue: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...e-depends-on-mcdaniel-s-next-move/ar-BB1hdt6K

-The offensive line now sucks. During the year I was hearing how great it was, what a pleasant upside surprise, how McDaniel turned out smart for hiring Butch Barry, and how Grier may have actually understood how to build a good offensive line after all. Now that the offense fell apart in the back half of the year, and all the big games, I am back to hearing about how bad the OL is and that they cannot pass block. Perhaps this is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

-Mike McDaniel now sucks. Can't coach, can't call plays, should give up playcalling, the whole deal. Same people that were telling me how great he is (and for the record I like him). See above about the OL. Perhaps this too is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

-The offensive weapons now suck. Third wide receiver stinks, Waddle drops too many passes and is hurt all of the time, TEs not threats in the passing game, no running back that is physical, bla bla. Fact, not opinion, in aggregate the Dolphins had one of the more talented groups of skill position players in the NFL. You cannot have everything. You certainly won't have everthing if Tua gets paid $50mm per year. But anyway, now these guys all suck too. Perhaps this too is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

Can we please quit it with all the flip flopping and excuse making. Not everything is perfect all of the time. Clearly, after not winning a single playoff game once again, the team and organization still have a long way to go. It is ok to call a spade a spade. Fangio is a loss, the OL did not go from great to suck, McDaniel did not go from great to suck, and the skill position players did not go from great to suck.

Last edited:
Doesn’t the narrative usually change on players and coaches though? Someone can do well and then not just as a cannot be so good and then develop to be good or very good.

In McDaniel‘s case he started off well and was winning.. The offense was very successful, but as time went on, it was clear he didn’t adjust when defenses adjusted, and in my opinion, didn’t use some other players enough.

I thought the defense was an incomplete book because we were just 1 year with seven starters out and that definitely has an effect. I thought there were some bright spots as well as low spots.

Last edited:
There have been at least four distinct changes to the narrative about the Dolphins. They are coming from people on one side of the coin, that have all flipped, in a way that I find to be logically inconsistent and excuse making. Not everything is perfect all of the time. Sometimes things are not good, and it is OK to call the team or organization out. Here are four of the big narrative changes:

-Vic Fangio now sucks as a DC. When he was hired, the same people were doing backflips. Must have been 100K comments on the Fangio thread about the hire. He is obviously an accomplished coordinator. The defense was pretty good this year and improved from last year. They carried the team the 2nd half of the year after the offense started to roll over. They held up better than the offense in the key games at the end of the year, despite an unreal amount of injuries. Fangio did not suck. Period. In addition to now trying to change the story and claim Fangio sucks, people are making all sorts of excuses for him leaving, like he never wanted to be here in the first place, or he wants to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania. BS. If that stuff was the case, he would not have taken the job here to begin with. Obviously, Fangio did not like it here, and he wanted out. If he was happy, he would not have wanted to leave. To be fair, in this case, it does not mean it is the Dolphins or McDaniels fault. It could simply be oil and water. Old school vs new school. If it doesnt work, it doesnt work. But to claim Fangio sucks is ridiculous. Same can be said for the players on the Dolphins defense that obviously didn't like Fangio. Could it be that the players are too soft and too coddled by McDaniel, and cannot take hard coaching? I am still a fan of McDaniel, but have to be open to that possibility. The way this team looked against better opposition does make you wonder if they are soft. This is not an unfair question to ask

Here is a good article on the issue from Dave Hyde on the Fangio issue: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...e-depends-on-mcdaniel-s-next-move/ar-BB1hdt6K

-The offensive line now sucks. During the year I was hearing how great it was, what a pleasant upside surprise, how McDaniel turned out smart for hiring Butch Barry, and how Grier may have actually understood how to build a good offensive line after all. Now that the offense fell apart in the back half of the year, and all the big games, I am back to hearing about how bad the OL is and that they cannot pass block. Perhaps this is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

-Mike McDaniel now sucks. Can't coach, can't call plays, should give up playcalling, the whole deal. Same people that were telling me how great he is (and for the record I like him). See above about the OL. Perhaps this too is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

-The offensive weapons now suck. Third wide receiver stinks, Waddle drops too many passes and is hurt all of the time, TEs not threats in the passing game, no running back that is physical, bla bla. Fact, not opinion, in aggregate the Dolphins had one of the more talented groups of skill position players in the NFL. You cannot have everything. You certainly won't have everthing if Tua gets paid $50mm per year. But anyway, now these guys all suck too. Perhaps this too is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

Can we please quit it with all the flip flopping and excuse making. Not everything is perfect all of the time. Clearly, after not winning a single playoff game once again, the team and organization still have a long way to go. It is ok to call a spade a spade. Fangio is a loss, the OL did not go from great to suck, McDaniel did not go from great to suck, and the skill position players did not go from great to suck.
Then it must be Tua the league-leading passer that sucks now after everyone was chanting MVP earlier in the year.

The clear problem is your coach should not be calling plays. The offense stagnates in the second half of every big game.
Plays are still getting in late a problem from all of last year is still there. He can't win a challenge. You have a coaching problem
THAT IS THE PROBLEM Mc Daniel needs to give up play calling and just be a Head coach.

Doesn’t the narrative usually change on players and coaches though? Someone can do well and then not just as a cannot be so good and then develop to be good or very good.

In McDaniel‘s case he started off well and was winning.. The offense was very successful, but as time went on, it was clear he didn’t adjust when defenses adjusted, and in my opinion, didn’t use some other players enough.

I thought the defense was an incomplete book because we were just 1 year with seven starters out and that definitely has an effect. I thought there were some bright spots as well as low spots.
sure. narratives can and should change based on objective data. lets take fangio, which is the simplest example. sorry he did not go from great to suck. he is a very good dc. all the folks pouncing on fangio now are looking in the wrong place for some reason. it shouldnt be a big deal to simply say "it sucks that it didnt work out here"

sure. narratives can and should change based on objective data. lets take fangio, which is the simplest example. sorry he did not go from great to suck. he is a very good dc. all the folks pouncing on fangio now are looking in the wrong place for some reason. it shouldnt be a big deal to simply say "it sucks that it didnt work out here"
Exactly with the off-season and him getting some players needed next year I believe we would’ve seen a nice improvement. I would bet on that. But as you said it didn’t work out but I certainly can’t fault him.

Haha very much the truth. Fangio changed the entire nfl with his scheme. All teams run some form of his even if it’s a seldom used packages. But Johnny and Joe on this site believe he’s a dumbass now after he’s been fired. It’s truly comical. Fangio is a top 3 DC still in this league. Eagles just hired him. Pretty smart organization.

What’s more likely. That we got a bunch of shitheads on the defense that can’t learn a system or fangio became an idiot over night?

Right now my biggest issue is Tuas physical condition, people can turn their heads to the issue and marginalize it all they want, fact is he has let down his teammates because of how it affected his play on the field and how undisciplined this grown man is.

The guy needs someone to get in his ass asap and tell him this is completely unacceptable

Yes but he's not

Right now my biggest issue is Tuas physical condition, people can turn their heads to the issue and marginalize it all they want, fact is he has let down his teammates because of how it affected his play on the field and how undisciplined this grown man is.

The guy needs someone to get in his ass asap and tell him this is completely unacceptable
How is that gonna help? He has to do this himself

He’s overweight

Back
Top Bottom