Four Sharply Changed Narratives About The Dolphins Season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four Sharply Changed Narratives About The Dolphins Season

Haha very much the truth. Fangio changed the entire nfl with his scheme. All teams run some form of his even if it’s a seldom used packages. But Johnny and Joe on this site believe he’s a dumbass now after he’s been fired. It’s truly comical. Fangio is a top 3 DC still in this league. Eagles just hired him. Pretty smart organization.

What’s more likely. That we got a bunch of shitheads on the defense that can’t learn a system or fangio became an idiot over night?
very well said. now both of us will get epsteined by everyone else. thanks for taking at least 50% of the pressure off of me :)

Most of it is just the disappointment in how Miami finished the season. Being so uncompetitive in the playoff loss to Kansas City stings and leaves a bad taste heading into the offseason.

Before an ungodly number of injuries, this was a really encouraging season. The Dolphins finished a few games by absolutely running over the opposition. The emergence of the run game gave fans a lot of hope.

Fangio was a very good DC. His record speaks for itself and I think he'll be hard to replace. But I also think the team needs to attack more and move towards a man-to-man defense. So, maybe it will be a blessing in disguise?

McDaniel had this offense singing, until the wheels fell off. Again, losing the way the Dolphins did to end the season could be a positive. It shows clearly that changes need to be made.

The offensive line just dealt with too many injuries. Miami played the majority of the season with at least three backups on the unit.

There's work still to be done. Nothing to take for granted. But this is a really good roster.

Tua will be as good as the scheme, He operates the script that entails a drop and quick throw perfectly. He is accurate and places the ball fairly well. When it was clicking all was great.

Then good teams saw what we were doing and things became much more difficult. Then Waddle went down and Hill was hobbled and McD fell flat. That was the beginning of the end.

Our O can thrive again but McD needs to come up with an attack and counter attack with receivers 1,2,3 and 4. We also need a big back to go between the tackles and ofc some semblance of a good high quality oline. Tua is good enough to win big but he isn’t the guy to carry the offense without a bit of help.

How is that gonna help? He has to do this himself

How is someone calling him out gonna help??

Well, I hope he sees himself and realizes but at this point I can’t count on that, it’s been a trend since college

1. Fangio is a good DC, but has a very elderly mother in PA. He also fit that organization culture better than Miami. The Eagles are where his heart is. The divorce was mutual.
2. Tua does need to lose weight. I believe he was instructed to gain bulk as protection, but the results backfired. Losing 10-15 pounds will help his velocity a bit, which is needed.
3. Injuries, more than any other single factor killed our season.

Ya, except for that recently people actually thought the narrative changed.

I guess it's fair to support Gesicki for what he was as a receiving target, which was good enough for 8th and 4th best among TEs in '20 and '21, respectively. 780 yards receiving for a TE is a good 2nd tier dude.

I honestly feel back for Mike watching how little he was used last year and how everything was just wasted in NE this year. Mike deserves better, LOL.

Tua will be as good as the scheme, He operates the script that entails a drop and quick throw perfectly. He is accurate and places the ball fairly well. When it was clicking all was great.

Then good teams saw what we were doing and things became much more difficult. Then Waddle went down and Hill was hobbled and McD fell flat. That was the beginning of the end.

Our O can thrive again but McD needs to come up with an attack and counter attack with receivers 1,2,3 and 4. We also need a big back to go between the tackles and ofc some semblance of a good high quality oline. Tua is good enough to win big but he isn’t the guy to carry the offense without a bit of help.
Agree.

Don't want to overplay the injuries, as every team has to deal with them. Miami's just happened at the wrong time beginning with Phillips and then seemingly one starter a week after that.

Going into Kansas City with seven defensive starters out isn't a recipe for success. Reverse the injury fortunes and maybe it's a different season.

As to blame? Well, maybe it's bad luck, although it has happened two years in a row now. Maybe it's Grier drafting/signing too many injury-prone players. Maybe it's a bad conditioning coach, or a little bit of all that.

McDaniel needs to improve, adjust better, get plays in faster, get that two-minute drill in sync and take the running game to another level.

Basically, what you said only more long-winded!

There have been at least four distinct changes to the narrative about the Dolphins. They are coming from people on one side of the coin, that have all flipped, in a way that I find to be logically inconsistent and excuse making. Not everything is perfect all of the time. Sometimes things are not good, and it is OK to call the team or organization out. To be fair, narratives can and should change based on objective data, if the starting narrative is even realistic to begin with (oftentimes it is not). Here are four of the big narrative changes that seem to be more about excuse making and denial than they are about objective data:

-Vic Fangio now sucks as a DC. When he was hired, the same people were doing backflips. Must have been 100K comments on the Fangio thread about the hire. He is obviously an accomplished coordinator. The defense was pretty good this year and improved from last year. They carried the team the 2nd half of the year after the offense started to roll over. They held up better than the offense in the key games at the end of the year, despite an unreal amount of injuries. Fangio did not suck. Period. In addition to now trying to change the story and claim Fangio sucks, people are making all sorts of excuses for him leaving, like he never wanted to be here in the first place, or he wants to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania. BS. If that stuff was the case, he would not have taken the job here to begin with. Obviously, Fangio did not like it here, and he wanted out. If he was happy, he would not have wanted to leave. To be fair, in this case, it does not mean it is the Dolphins or McDaniels fault. It could simply be oil and water. Old school vs new school. If it doesnt work, it doesnt work. But to claim Fangio sucks is ridiculous. Same can be said for the players on the Dolphins defense that obviously didn't like Fangio. Could it be that the players are too soft and too coddled by McDaniel, and cannot take hard coaching? I am still a fan of McDaniel, but have to be open to that possibility. The way this team looked against better opposition does make you wonder if they are soft. This is not an unfair question to ask. Anyway with regard to Fangio, would it be that hard to just say "he is a good coach and it sucks that it didn't work out with him here, hopefully they find a good replacement."

Here is a good article on the issue from Dave Hyde on the Fangio issue: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...e-depends-on-mcdaniel-s-next-move/ar-BB1hdt6K

-The offensive line now sucks. During the year I was hearing how great it was, what a pleasant upside surprise, how McDaniel turned out smart for hiring Butch Barry, and how Grier may have actually understood how to build a good offensive line after all. Now that the offense fell apart in the back half of the year, and all the big games, I am back to hearing about how bad the OL is and that they cannot pass block. Perhaps this is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

-Mike McDaniel now sucks. Can't coach, can't call plays, should give up playcalling, the whole deal. Same people that were telling me how great he is (and for the record I like him). See above about the OL. Perhaps this too is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

-The offensive weapons now suck. Third wide receiver stinks, Waddle drops too many passes and is hurt all of the time, TEs not threats in the passing game, no running back that is physical, bla bla. Fact, not opinion, in aggregate the Dolphins had one of the more talented groups of skill position players in the NFL. You cannot have everything. You certainly won't have everthing if Tua gets paid $50mm per year. But anyway, now these guys all suck too. Perhaps this too is just an excuse for those that don't want to admit that something else might have been part of the problem?

Can we please quit it with all the flip flopping and excuse making. Not everything is perfect all of the time. Clearly, after not winning a single playoff game once again, the team and organization still have a long way to go. It is ok to call a spade a spade. Fangio is a loss, the OL did not go from great to suck, McDaniel did not go from great to suck, and the skill position players did not go from great to suck.

If you insert the word "situation" most of those things are true.

The Fangio situation sucks. The players apparently hated him and he was apparently mailing it in all season. And now he's abandoning us. Hard to be happy about that. Truth is, we don't even know whether Cam Smith was essentially stone-walled or whether he earned his being on the bench. So we don't even know what we have there.

The OL situation sucks. We're dealing with more injury concerns than we anticipated and 2 of our most important pieces are at risk of walking in order to secure $$$ we may not be able to pay them. Connor Williams was a useful addition but him getting hurt and the team failing to secure a long-term deal with him last offseason is not good news for us.

Needing more proof that McDaniel can make adjustments sucks. We all wish McDaniel had been able to make the necessary adjustments in-season. Despite the fact he's well-liked, the truth is he has to evolve his offense (which has now stalled 2x late in the season) and maybe even evolve his approach with the team a bit. People understandably aren't that happy going into year #3 with a HC who seems like he's presenting more questions than we'd like. This organization has fired the last several HCs after 3 seasons. This is the point where we'd like to start establishing a lot of confidence, not start asking a bunch of uncomfortable questions.

The situation we're in with Tyreek's $$$ sucks. He's set to get paid an absurd amount of money and with his role likely to decrease within a more balanced offense it makes little sense to be so financially bent over a barrel. The Tyreek era may end sooner than many think. That's not getting to his unfortunate drops this season or his weird off-field situation.

Right now my biggest issue is Tuas physical condition, people can turn their heads to the issue and marginalize it all they want, fact is he has let down his teammates because of how it affected his play on the field and how undisciplined this grown man is.

The guy needs someone to get in his ass asap and tell him this is completely unacceptable

I entirely disagree with your assertion that he 'let himself go' mid-season. He was literally chastised by the media for looking "fat" before the season began.

For whatever reason, he and his advisors (whether that's the coaches and trainers or his own people) clearly made a conscious effort to have him gain weight. Thinking about it, there's no way he would've done it without the team's permission so I have to assume the coaches were on board. A player in Tua's position whose productivity is the main focus of the offense isn't allowed to just "get fat." That's ludicrous when you stop and think about it. And Tua wouldn't do that out of sheer laziness.

I go back to how he looked against Arizona as a rookie and he looks like a tiny little Bryce Young type guy--skinny. I know everyone was talking about how he needed to 'thicken up' back then but I think he was a better physical prospect in the Flores era.

There's nothing in his yds/rush to suggesting he was actually faster back then but he looks much more coordinated on the 2020 tape (returning from the hip) compared with today where he just rumbles and bumbles.

I entirely disagree with your assertion that he 'let himself go' mid-season. He was literally chastised by the media for looking "fat" before the season began.

For whatever reason, he and his advisors (whether that's the coaches and trainers or his own people) clearly made a conscious effort to have him gain weight. Thinking about it, there's no way he would've done it without the team's permission so I have to assume the coaches were on board. A player in Tua's position whose productivity is the main focus of the offense isn't allowed to just "get fat." That's ludicrous when you stop and think about it. And Tua wouldn't do that out of sheer laziness.

I go back to how he looked against Arizona as a rookie and he looks like a tiny little Bryce Young type guy--skinny. I know everyone was talking about how he needed to 'thicken up' back then but I think he was a better physical prospect in the Flores era.

There's nothing in his yds/rush to suggesting he was actually faster back then but he looks much more coordinated on the 2020 tape (returning from the hip) compared with today where he just rumbles and bumbles.

But he had a record breaking year, made the pro bowl and stayed healthy. That’s doing his job,,,I feel he was let down by injuries to the oline and McD with the play calling.

Back
Top Bottom