Franchise tag for T Wade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Franchise tag for T Wade

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
from Alex http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/

Q: Why don't the Dolphins sign Todd Wade to a long-term deal already?

A: Wade's contract expires at the end of this season. But because he is the most significant player on the roster set to become an unrestricted free agent, the Dolphins could essentially insure keeping Wade by use of the franchise tag. The Dolphins haven't started serious negotiations to sign Wade to a long-term extension because the team is up against the 2003 salary cap. Any contract extension Wade signs would greatly increase his cap number. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/finsoffer

Very good his first year but not a dominating frorce as i had hoped he would be but very steady ...I guess thats good .

If we placed a Franchise tag on him, he should be pretty upset since the top 5 RT's don't make as much as the LT's..so he won't make as much a signed contract..which I'm sure his agent is going to try to milk as much as possible..while I agree, Wade isn't the best rt in the world, his attitude makes up for the little things he lacks...I loved him in his rookie year when he got into it with Sapp during training camp..I loved the tough attitude right away.

I do not see using the Tag on him because I am sure it applies to all OTs and is not based on RT vs LT. LTs make much more than Wade is worth.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
If we placed a Franchise tag on him, he should be pretty upset since the top 5 RT's don't make as much as the LT's

It counts as OT's so LT's are factored in. So I highly doubt we place that tag on him. However if the market is thin then expect a team to make a run at him.

Maybe that is why they drafted a bunch of linemen this year. They will be starting next year and they will draft even more for depth.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
Maybe that is why they drafted a bunch of linemen this year. They will be starting next year and they will draft even more for depth.

Great point. I think it depends on how he plays this year and how Wade Smith looks in training camp and practices. I don't see the Fins paying him top 5 offensive tackle money. If they're going to pay that type of money I'd rather see them go after someone like Pace next year if he doesn't get his contract dispute settled.

I really like Wade but I don't see them paying that kind of money for him. Maybe they will try to put a transition tag on him like Buffalo did with Price, but I don't see another team giving a first-rounder for Wade.

Actually earlier on in the offseason I saw a report that offensive tackles are likely to be franchised a lot, and offensive guards not franchised at all because the new franchise salary rules no longer distinguish between guards and tackles making the franchise tender extremely high for a guard, and fairly cheap for a tackle. Or something like that.

There is no distinction between RT and LT as far as franchise salaries go, that much I'm pretty sure of. I wouldn't really mind franchising Wade, not sure how much he'd mind it but I can see why they won't extend his contract this offseason cuz we're right up on the cap this year. Of course if you listen to clump, we're like 5 million over the cap this year and 20 million over next year.

We better re-sign him now, because unless we win the SB I do not think he will want back.

If he keeps up the level of his play, it sounds like a great use of the tag.

The salay may be a little high but no long term contract and no signing bonus. Low risk and very cap friendly in that regard.

Also the salary is based on the previous year's average salaries. So this year's contracts (2003) would effect what the tag would be worth in 2004.

We should not use the franchise tag on Wade. The franchise tag ensures he gets a ton of money, and he just isn't worth it. He is an above average RT. That doesn't mean we should spend 5 million dollars a year on him.

I think of Wade as the Derrick Rodgers of the offense. An ok player, who should be better, and I would NOT pay him what the top five lineman are making.

Agreed. He's not among the elite. Not even close. He's among the elite in SIZE. But that's it. He's not as strong as he should be. And he's not a good pass blocker. Pretty good run blocker. But he's slow even for a RT.

Trevor Pryce dominated Wade in Denver. Sure, Pryce is an All Pro DT playing DE. But franchise players don't get dominated, period. And that's exactly what happened. Pryce completely outclassed Wade both in the run game and the passing game.

But Wade struggles a lot in pass protection too often anyway. He's got to pick things up if he wants to get paid.

Back
Top Bottom