Free agency: it ain’t just us...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by multistage, Mar 13, 2018.

1. multistage

multistage Well-Known Member

Living in Iowa, there isn’t really a local team. I live amidst fans of many teams. I expect there are 8 teams represented at work alone.

And they’re all pissed. Every one of them.

Vikings guys: lots around here. Signing Cousins, and they aren’t happy.

Packers guys: cutting Jordy slit their throats. Signing Graham was insult to injury.

Broncos guys: infuriated at the signing of Keenum. Lots of “**** this team” floating around the shop today.

Chiefs guys: quite a few of them around here as well. They liked Wilson, Watkins not so much.

Ah yes, the Patriots guys.......

Lots of them. Of course, it’s mighty easy to be a NE guy these days. But they are pissed. They don’t get the Butler situation. But oh man, are they mad to lose Amendola.

Especially to us.

Then there is the lone Miami guy. He’s doing OK. Kinda nice to not shell out the megabucks for a dinosaur for a change.

Point is, it seems as though everybody hates free agency moves, not just us. I have heard from no one who is satisfied with the moves their team has made. Pats guys are terrified that the end is near (and I agree).

Fun day.

2. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

As close as the Vikings are to the Super Bowl, as a fan I'd be pissed too. First of all, I don't put Cousins anywhere near the elite category. In fact, I'd take a healthy Tannehill over Cousins. But that fully guaranteed contract is just atrocious. Have a feeling that will become the new norm.

The NFL is getting closer and closer to the NBA in terms of how much guys, especially role players, are being paid. Difference is the NBA asks you to play 82 regular season games where you fly all over the country on a nightly basis.

terphin likes this.
  3. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Eagles fans are loving their moves.

4. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If Cousins gets hurt this coming year then no team is going to guarantee that kind of money ever again. That was just crazy and it's only ok if they win the super bowl this year

Ozzy rules!!

Albert Romano likes this.
  5. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Everyone is fickle. Dumb too.

SCLSU Mud Dogs likes this.
  6. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

The #Ravens are expected to sign #Redskins FA WR Ryan Grant, source said. It’s a 4-year deal worth $29M with $14.5M guaranteed, source said. He gets a $10M signing bonus.

So tell me people hating on the Albert Wilson: Wilson has better career numbers than Grant does, so is Baltimore stupid for giving him a longer deal with more guaranteed money?

Spiff likes this.
  7. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Can't really blame them after their team just won the Super Bowl. They have a lot of faith in Howie.

8. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Isn't that the old if your friend jumps off a bridge would you do it too?

9. SCLSU Mud Dogs

No, that's saying that the Ravens, a historically smart team personnel wise with competent people in place, just paid similar value for a player who isn't as good as Wilson.

10. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

Didn't Sammy Watkins get $15 mill a year from someone?

MiamiMuss and circumstances like this.
  11. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Yep. 3 years, $48M with $30M guaranteed from the Chiefs.

circumstances likes this.
  12. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

Oh yeah. Hard to see either living up those contracts. Just comparing bad to worse IMO.

13. multistage

Yep. KC.

And the Chiefs guys are grumbling....

circumstances likes this.
  14. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Explain to me how Albert Wilson's contract is bad, though? A tad rich, yeah, but he's definitely a player who is up and coming and will be a key player in the offense.

15. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

People usually have too high of expectations for FA. You think you are going to load up on talent, but in reality you are just overpaying for players that were deemed not good enough to resign by their former teams.

Spiff likes this.
  16. BobDole

It's just an overpay for a guy who will most likely end up being a 3rd or 4th target. He'll never live up to it given the nature of the role he'll play. What, maybe 60 targets? On the high end? Puts you into a difficult position when it comes time to pay players that produce. It's just all wonky and discombobulated and the same damn thing over and over again.

Overarching point: losing Landry and Suh to free up money for this free agency period won't end up being an awesome time in Dolphins history ... which should be to the surprise of exactly nobody.

Jimi and Avigatorx like this.
  17. superphin

Even Ozzie Newsome messes up, every once in a while. 32 year old injury prone Danny Woodhead, Jeremy Maclin both signed last year with the Ravens...while neither got a fat contract both were free agent bust last year. I'm sure Ryan Grant will be joining the club.

Jimi likes this.
  18. Fin Mex

Fin Mex FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Question is, did we pay to much, or this is the new market for WR and we as fans are just slow to adjust? I think this happens every year now

Spiff likes this.
  19. multistage

As the cap increases, so do the wages.

SCLSU Mud Dogs likes this.
  20. SCLSU Mud Dogs

1. Miami picked up a young player who is coming into his own as a receiver
    2. In the new NFL huge cap era, an $8M AAV cap number is not a huge number.
    3. Miami's intention isn't to have one player be a focus. This is an offense predicated on being able to spread the ball around to a variety of targets.
    4. Wilson adds much more speed to a slot receiver position that didn't have a whole lot of it.
    5. Are you complaining about Kenny Stills' contract? Because it's essentially the same type of deal that one was.

21. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Stills took less money to be with Miami. Stills would be getting $10M per year in this year's free agency crop.

fininpsl likes this.
  22. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

Can't even talk $8 million AAV when there's $12 million guaranteed. This could end up being a two year $13.5 million deal.

23. BobDole

I'll play.

1. Yet to be seen. Betting on potential. Big freakin bet.

2. All relative. The player + their production factors in. Or is this already the default rationalization for when he puts up the same pedestrian numbers?

3. Great. I agree. Then why did Wilson and Amendola just get paid? Shouldn't we find cheaper alternatives to spread the ball around with? Or better yet ... maybe use some of the guys already on the roster who haven't gotten snaps yet?

4. Agree

5. Odd comparison. Stills produced as a Dolphin and got paid. Wilson has been okay with the Chiefs (I do like the player ... just not the price) and we paid him based on the potential of future production.

Not a good FA period to do this IMO. Landry and Suh will likely out produce any JAG we bring in with the money saved.

CedarPhin likes this.
  24. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

So we're going to be looking for a new kicker it looks like too? Why let Parkey leave after an excellent season? Surely Chicago isn't offering a ton more money?

25. multistage

Why wouldn’t they? They’ve got it, and we don’t.

26. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

Wilson, Grant, Amendola and Stills. Keep running them out there and in the 4th qtr. those DB's will be dying. Little guy's have a tendency to get broken, but there's 4 of them. One doesn't perform , sit his @$$, next. Need a TE target now. LB, TE G as draft priorities.

*Demi*God* likes this.
  27. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

I, for one, actually like what we are doing. Yes, Landry was a good player for us but we basically turned Landry into Amendola, Wilson and a 4th and 7th pick. 100ish receptions to be more spread around.

28. ForksPhin

ForksPhin Scout Team

Why do we assume that Albert Wilson is “coming into his own as a receiver”? Honest question.

His 2017 stats were not vastly different than his 2015 stats. And a good percentage of his stats in 2017 were picked up in the final game of the season when KC rested their stars - 10 of his 42 catches and 147 of his 554 yards were compiled in the final game.

I’m not 100% opposed to the signing, but I think the Dolphins overpaid. And I don’t see much evidence that Albert Wilson is suddenly on the upswing.

superphin likes this.
  29. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

I would rather have Landry

30. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Listening to podcasts etc everyone wonders what the hell Miami is doing. Were a joke.

31. BobDole

I read the title wrong the first time and was wondering why the content didn't match. Free agency: It just ain't us. I laughed.

CedarPhin likes this.
  32. Viggen

Viggen Well-Known Member

Landry preferred to get paid more elsewhere.

33. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

Hate to say it but I love what the Jets are doing going back to last off-season. They are building what could be an absolutely dominant defense with a young loaded secondary and aggressive front 7. Offense will still suck but they made it to 2 championship games with butt fumble and a great D.

I also don’t get us letting Parkey go. That’s the Dolphin way though is to create holes where they don’t exist. I like the WR signings and Amendola can be an emergency QB as well as be used with gadget plays. He’s fragile and I believe he’s had concussion issues going back to his days with the Rams. Could be wrong there but at least he has value that goes well beyond his on field production. I’m reserving judgment by what we do with the OL this year since they supposedly finally understand it’s an area that needs addressing. If we fail to build a good line then who we have at WR or QB won’t matter anyway.

34. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

We had him for 16 million. Basically what we are paying those two receivers

35. multistage

We WERE a joke.

We had Suh. And Landry. And Ajayi for a few games last year.

And yet, we sucked. Hard.

We’ve played the big money game. And lost our *** as well as credibility.

These smaller, modest moves may be what we need. We’ve had names, but all for naught.

We’ve also had teams with unheard of guys that received modest wages.

Ever heard of the No Name Defense?

36. superphin

Not only that but 345 of Wilson's 554 yards came in 4 games. He had 22 receptions and 209 yards in the remaining 9 games at a clip of 9.5 y/c. But he's a smart player with 4.3 speed so its ok.

37. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

Yeah we had 1 WR who would have cost 16m that caught 112 balls last year and didn't break 1k yards. A WR who was not a game changer. A WR who was only a #2 and that was his value out of college and showed in the NFL. We drafted Parker because we knew Landry was a 2. Yeah Parker hasn't stepped up but that doesn't change the fact Landry was always viewed as a 2. Even on the Browns, Gordon will be viewed as the 1 if he's on the field. Our inability to have a legit TE and Parkers inability to develop made Landry the go to. I bet Landry barely sniffs 75 receptions this year.

Viggen likes this.
  38. *Demi*God*

*Demi*God* Well-Known Member

Both guys are considered high football IQ guys, and that's what Gase wants

Tailgun likes this.
  39. SCLSU Mud Dogs

1. Not that big of a bet

2. KC's No. 1 target was Kelce, No. 2 target was Hill, No. 3 target was Hunt. Don't really see a ton of opportunities for Wilson there. But when called upon, he made plays. His missed tackles forced was nearly identical to Landry at a fraction of the receptions.

3. Miami was looking for a young player to complement the receiving corps for Wilson. Amendola IMO is strictly for leadership and clutch plays. Also, Miami has an abundance of cap room next year, so the cap number this year will be low.

5. Stills in this current market would fetch $10M+ and actually took less money to stay with Miami, so Miami essentially got a bargain for him. Wilson? Not a bargain, but again, pretty low risk contract (can get out of it after 1 or 2 years).

And to your last point, Miami offered Landry a 5-year, $65M contract and he balked. Keeping him at any more (or even that number) is ridiculous. Suh also didn't grow into the expected leadership role they anticipated he would. Yes, he was a producer, but if this culture thing is true, then so be it. Most of us didn't want him at a $26M cap hit anyway.

Tailgun likes this.
  40. SCLSU Mud Dogs

I don't need the approval or opinions of people to make an informed decision. Just like in my personal life the only people whose opinions I really give a **** about are my friends and family.

People can "laugh" or whatever all they want. Idgaf

Spiff likes this.