Free agency: it ain’t just us... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agency: it ain’t just us...

Living in Iowa, there isn’t really a local team. I live amidst fans of many teams. I expect there are 8 teams represented at work alone.

And they’re all pissed. Every one of them.

Vikings guys: lots around here. Signing Cousins, and they aren’t happy.

Packers guys: cutting Jordy slit their throats. Signing Graham was insult to injury.

Broncos guys: infuriated at the signing of Keenum. Lots of “**** this team” floating around the shop today.

Chiefs guys: quite a few of them around here as well. They liked Wilson, Watkins not so much.

Ah yes, the Patriots guys.......

Lots of them. Of course, it’s mighty easy to be a NE guy these days. But they are pissed. They don’t get the Butler situation. But oh man, are they mad to lose Amendola.

Especially to us.

Then there is the lone Miami guy. He’s doing OK. Kinda nice to not shell out the megabucks for a dinosaur for a change.

Point is, it seems as though everybody hates free agency moves, not just us. I have heard from no one who is satisfied with the moves their team has made. Pats guys are terrified that the end is near (and I agree).

Fun day.

I read the title wrong the first time and was wondering why the content didn't match. Free agency: It just ain't us. I laughed.

Hate to say it but I love what the Jets are doing going back to last off-season. They are building what could be an absolutely dominant defense with a young loaded secondary and aggressive front 7. Offense will still suck but they made it to 2 championship games with butt fumble and a great D.

I also don’t get us letting Parkey go. That’s the Dolphin way though is to create holes where they don’t exist. I like the WR signings and Amendola can be an emergency QB as well as be used with gadget plays. He’s fragile and I believe he’s had concussion issues going back to his days with the Rams. Could be wrong there but at least he has value that goes well beyond his on field production. I’m reserving judgment by what we do with the OL this year since they supposedly finally understand it’s an area that needs addressing. If we fail to build a good line then who we have at WR or QB won’t matter anyway.

Listening to podcasts etc everyone wonders what the hell Miami is doing. Were a joke.

We WERE a joke.

We had Suh. And Landry. And Ajayi for a few games last year.

And yet, we sucked. Hard.

We’ve played the big money game. And lost our ass as well as credibility.

These smaller, modest moves may be what we need. We’ve had names, but all for naught.

We’ve also had teams with unheard of guys that received modest wages.

Ever heard of the No Name Defense?

Why do we assume that Albert Wilson is “coming into his own as a receiver”? Honest question.

His 2017 stats were not vastly different than his 2015 stats. And a good percentage of his stats in 2017 were picked up in the final game of the season when KC rested their stars - 10 of his 42 catches and 147 of his 554 yards were compiled in the final game.

I’m not 100% opposed to the signing, but I think the Dolphins overpaid. And I don’t see much evidence that Albert Wilson is suddenly on the upswing.

Not only that but 345 of Wilson's 554 yards came in 4 games. He had 22 receptions and 209 yards in the remaining 9 games at a clip of 9.5 y/c. But he's a smart player with 4.3 speed so its ok.

We had him for 16 million. Basically what we are paying those two receivers
Yeah we had 1 WR who would have cost 16m that caught 112 balls last year and didn't break 1k yards. A WR who was not a game changer. A WR who was only a #2 and that was his value out of college and showed in the NFL. We drafted Parker because we knew Landry was a 2. Yeah Parker hasn't stepped up but that doesn't change the fact Landry was always viewed as a 2. Even on the Browns, Gordon will be viewed as the 1 if he's on the field. Our inability to have a legit TE and Parkers inability to develop made Landry the go to. I bet Landry barely sniffs 75 receptions this year.

1. Miami picked up a young player who is coming into his own as a receiver
2. In the new NFL huge cap era, an $8M AAV cap number is not a huge number.
3. Miami's intention isn't to have one player be a focus. This is an offense predicated on being able to spread the ball around to a variety of targets.
4. Wilson adds much more speed to a slot receiver position that didn't have a whole lot of it.
5. Are you complaining about Kenny Stills' contract? Because it's essentially the same type of deal that one was.

I'll play.

1. Yet to be seen. Betting on potential. Big freakin bet.

2. All relative. The player + their production factors in. Or is this already the default rationalization for when he puts up the same pedestrian numbers?

3. Great. I agree. Then why did Wilson and Amendola just get paid? Shouldn't we find cheaper alternatives to spread the ball around with? Or better yet ... maybe use some of the guys already on the roster who haven't gotten snaps yet?

4. Agree

5. Odd comparison. Stills produced as a Dolphin and got paid. Wilson has been okay with the Chiefs (I do like the player ... just not the price) and we paid him based on the potential of future production.

Not a good FA period to do this IMO. Landry and Suh will likely out produce any JAG we bring in with the money saved.

1. Not that big of a bet

2. KC's No. 1 target was Kelce, No. 2 target was Hill, No. 3 target was Hunt. Don't really see a ton of opportunities for Wilson there. But when called upon, he made plays. His missed tackles forced was nearly identical to Landry at a fraction of the receptions.

3. Miami was looking for a young player to complement the receiving corps for Wilson. Amendola IMO is strictly for leadership and clutch plays. Also, Miami has an abundance of cap room next year, so the cap number this year will be low.

5. Stills in this current market would fetch $10M+ and actually took less money to stay with Miami, so Miami essentially got a bargain for him. Wilson? Not a bargain, but again, pretty low risk contract (can get out of it after 1 or 2 years).

And to your last point, Miami offered Landry a 5-year, $65M contract and he balked. Keeping him at any more (or even that number) is ridiculous. Suh also didn't grow into the expected leadership role they anticipated he would. Yes, he was a producer, but if this culture thing is true, then so be it. Most of us didn't want him at a $26M cap hit anyway.

Listening to podcasts etc everyone wonders what the hell Miami is doing. Were a joke.

I don't need the approval or opinions of people to make an informed decision. Just like in my personal life the only people whose opinions I really give a **** about are my friends and family.

People can "laugh" or whatever all they want. Idgaf

Why do we assume that Albert Wilson is “coming into his own as a receiver”? Honest question.

His 2017 stats were not vastly different than his 2015 stats. And a good percentage of his stats in 2017 were picked up in the final game of the season when KC rested their stars - 10 of his 42 catches and 147 of his 554 yards were compiled in the final game.

I’m not 100% opposed to the signing, but I think the Dolphins overpaid. And I don’t see much evidence that Albert Wilson is suddenly on the upswing.

Career highs in 2017 in receptions, yards, touchdowns, and targets.

So it's a bad thing that he stepped up to the plate in the final game when they needed him to? He's a lot of the reason they were able to put points on the board. He had more than a third of their total yards that game as a team.

I'm also sure if I went back into any other player's stats and took out their best game or two, it wouldn't look as impressive either.

He was in a crowded offense where he didn't get a massive amount of targets.

The cap goes up every year, therefor contracts go up every year. I'm not worried about it.

Even by our standards, this has been a horrible off season so far.

Career highs in 2017 in receptions, yards, touchdowns, and targets.

So it's a bad thing that he stepped up to the plate in the final game when they needed him to? He's a lot of the reason they were able to put points on the board. He had more than a third of their total yards that game as a team.

I'm also sure if I went back into any other player's stats and took out their best game or two, it wouldn't look as impressive either.

He was in a crowded offense where he didn't get a massive amount of targets.

The cap goes up every year, therefor contracts go up every year. I'm not worried about it.

This really wasn’t about simply taking out stats from his best game. That game was played with KC’s starters resting.

And while he had career highs, we’re talking about the difference between 2 TDs and 3 TDs, etc.

People are getting signed to mucho money because it's a win now league. Everyone is afraid they'll get fired if they don't make the playoffs (Except Hue Jackson).
I'd prefer us to be a great drafting team to win for years. Go young, draft often and win consistently.

Back
Top Bottom