Free agent OG possibilities | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agent OG possibilities

I don't think he is even considered a rpospect or he isn't a senior.

Brian Rimpf. A guy that will slide, but is one of those LT in college but limited to RT and G in the pros guys. They turn out to be such steals.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
I would pass on those two guys. Do we want another "Wanny boy" in Villareal? Not me - I know what happened with Todd Perry and we can't afford that. Also, neither of these guys are the kind of guys who are going to handle the big DT's in our division.

I don't think we can compare Villarrial to Perry just b/c of the Chicago background. Chris is one of the stronger guards around pound for pound, especially in the upper body and wins most 1/1 matchups as a drive blocker. If we did bring him in to play RG, I think he'd be a significant upgrade over Todd Perry.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should know that when Chris V. is playing the Chicago running game is very strong.

Free Agent Offensive Linemen

I think some people are predicting Greenbay might release two starting offensive linemen due to salary cap problems. Any info on these players and if they would be worth considering?

Originally posted by Jaj
I don't think he is even considered a rpospect or he isn't a senior.

Brian Rimpf. A guy that will slide, but is one of those LT in college but limited to RT and G in the pros guys. They turn out to be such steals.

Who are you referring to that isn't considered a prospect or isn't a senior? Hopefully not Locklear, he is an easy top ten (maybe top 5) guard and definitely senior.
Rimpf is also a senior and a marginal top ten tackle that needs to become more consistent and play up to his strength all the time.
Not necessarily limited to G or RT either. He did a decent job in college vs. both Freeney and Peppers.

Thanks for the stats on Villareal and the others.

Of course the downfall here is that these don't really show whether the guy is an effective run blocker or not, nor do they necessarily capture effectiveness in pass blocking, per se - the sacks allowed stat doesn't always capture OG play - it's ultimately watching the player block and seeing how effective he is - a guy may get beat more often but the QB won't get sacked - it's a bit more difficult b/c OG's don't give up a lot of sacks.

But, if C.V. is a good run-blocker, he would be a good option if he is available.

No wait he is a prospect, but he's rated somewhere day 2, like sixth round.

Originally posted by Jaj
No wait he is a prospect, but he's rated somewhere day 2, like sixth round.

Who are you referring to?

If it is Rimpf, he would a great pick in the 6th, but it is doubtful he lasts that long. He can squat 660 lbs! That is very uncommon for a 6'6" guy. He is a great physical package, very strong, but not as explosive as he could be.

If it is Locklear, he definitely won't be around that late. He is a 3rd-4th rounder easily.
To get a look at him, go back and watch the South OL in the Senior Bowl, he was one of the starting guards.

If we drafted 2 OL, say for example, Locklear in the 3rd or 4th and Rimpf in the 4th-6th, that would be fine by me.

I am reffering to Locklear. Rimpf is a fourth rounder.

Locklear rose that much draft standing wise?

Originally posted by Jaj

Don't be surprised if Locklear is the first guard off the board, says TFY. He improved dramatically. This is one of those unknown players Mel was right about.

Dang I gotta go watch my tapes.

Villarrial is one of the better guards in the league & is underrated. I'd love to get him for our RG & have a healthy Nails playing LG. All that we would lack then is a RT. Since we're more than likely to go QB & WR with our first two picks we're gonna have to sign a stop gap RT. This is why trading down in the first or to the high second to gain another 3rd is so important. We need 3 day 1 picks.

Originally posted by Jaj

I guess that depends on who you ask. :)

PFW had him 3rd among senior guards, entering the '03 season,
I think Kiper has him 2nd right now.
The War Room has him as the 8th tackle, which to me is f**cked up, b/c he is more of a guard and is every strong, and they say "he isn't as strong or explosive as you'd like". 500 lbs on the bench isn't strong?

I am hoping we get Villy too. He is very underrated. A bit injury prone but not as much as Dixon.

Re-sign Nails at RG healthy. You will have two youngsters in Yates and Whitley backing them up.

Back
Top Bottom