Frerotte ahead of Feeley? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte ahead of Feeley?

yeah... finally found it... fanball.com, but i had missed in on the SS...

THE NEWS

Gus Frerotte apparently has the inside track to be the Dolphins starting quarterback this season. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, coach Nick Saban said the starter will be "whoever plays the best," and that Frerotte has the advantage right now "because he has a lot of knowledge and experience in this system."

At least he's not just naming one person the concrete starter. Make it a competition, that way you get the best out of both. Of course Frerotte will be a little ahead of A.J. as far as the play book, but, i'm sure Saban will wait until he's completely comfortable with one over the other before he names a clear cut winner. Nothing is better than competition for any position, it only makes each player better and the player that doesn't get the job, is that much more prepared if his # is called..

I'm really not surprised at all that Frerotte has the advantage over Feeley. I thought we all knew this already. He has A LOT more experience and he knows Scott Linehan's system. Of course he's going to have the advantage over AJ. He's not going to win the starting job because of that though... it's going to come down to who performs better in Training Camp and has the better grasp at be being our starting QB.

Linehan is pulling for Frerotte.
Spielman is pulling for AJ.

I'm (and hopefully Saban) am rooting for whomever is the best QB, whether it may be AJ, Gus, Sage, WHOEVER... wins the starting job. I wouldn't have it any other way.

PressCoverage said:
c'mon... never been much of a Frerotte fan... the two are similar in style and size, but Feeley is 6 years younger ... Why not develop him?...

A scouting guide describes them very much the same, with Frerotte 43rd, and Feeley 30th... The difference? Frerotte "will throw the ball up for grabs if not protected. ... Makes poor decisions.".... Feeley "has problems holding onto the ball. (But, what i agree with and love:) "Reads defenses well ... shows excellent instincts."

i DO like Feeley's potential, with decent arm strength and more than decent accuracy. Anyone judging Feeley based on last year's line in front of him is not being fair. ... He was tough, unflappable and a major factor in beating the Patriots.

I just hope head-banging Frerotte isn't gonna get the nod from Day 1 simply because he knows Linnehan's system. That hampered Feeley a lot last year, when Wannstedt gave so many summer reps to Fiedler.

I trust the coaches, but I just feel Frerotte is limited, and we don't yet know Feeley's ceiling.

discuss....

IMO both are limited, and none of them are the awnser, but Ferrotte said he has been helping Feeley in learning the system so at least he is a stand up guy. Feley Does have potential and I would'nt be surprised if he impresses this year.

I hope it's AJ, I just don't want to keep the QB merry go round going, I want us to rally around one QB and AJ showed me enough last year to let me know, he's the answer.

MDFINFAN said:
I hope it's AJ, I just don't want to keep the QB merry go round going, I want us to rally around one QB and AJ showed me enough last year to let me know, he's the answer.
you make a lot of sense for a one year old... sometimes...:wink:

Well I Really Hope That Aj Shows What He Can Do Cause He Showed Me That He Has Skills Throwing The Ball.man I Just Remember That Monday Night Game Against The Patsies And Man Did He Make Some Tough Nice Throws A Little Marino Like. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Our QB's will look lots better this year if HH can work his magic with the OL. In fact, the upgrades at RB will also take a load of pressure of the QB this year. Since both Feeley and Frerotte both seem to have the label of struggling when under pressure in the pocket, the revamped running game may be just what the Dr. ordered.

MDFINFAN said:

my sentiments, exactly... some people underestimate the detriment a "QB competition" has during a summer of preparations... every rep is key, just for cohesion, timing, familiarity... nevermind the players' individual preferences and complaints, which could cause a rift all its own...

Frerotte is a capable QB when he has supreme protection in front of him (which we will unlikely have). When not, he's a Fiedler without mobility, throwing mindless passes up for grabs.

Anyone who has the 04 Patriots at Dolphins game on tape, watch it again... Feeley was terrific, WITHOUT much protection...

Doktor Ivel said:
why develope Feeley when we are gonna draft a QB next year?
whoever does best in minicamp will get the start........

because.... imagine Feeley developing with a full start-to-finish season of success... and we use that top draft pick on a 1st-round left tackle, yes?

I say we start with Frerotte solely because he has the best shot to win games imo, and i do feel we have a team that can potentially win it all if Ricky comes back. However, if we go 0-3 or 0-4 and it doesnt look like Frerotte can do it then we bring AJ Feeley in and see how he does. If he performs like he did last year, we cut him. If he shows vast improvement, we keep him.

PressCoverage said:
because.... imagine Feeley developing with a full start-to-finish season of success... and we use that top draft pick on a 1st-round left tackle, yes?
yea, but what if Ferotte has a great camp, and Feeley doesnt stand out.....would you still start Feeley?

Hey it's a new coach and new year he has little ties to the players since he just came in so I think the best player will get the starting nod.

PressCoverage said:
c'mon... never been much of a Frerotte fan... the two are similar in style and size, but Feeley is 6 years younger ... Why not develop him?...

A scouting guide describes them very much the same, with Frerotte 43rd, and Feeley 30th... The difference? Frerotte "will throw the ball up for grabs if not protected. ... Makes poor decisions.".... Feeley "has problems holding onto the ball. (But, what i agree with and love:) "Reads defenses well ... shows excellent instincts."

i DO like Feeley's potential, with decent arm strength and more than decent accuracy. Anyone judging Feeley based on last year's line in front of him is not being fair. ... He was tough, unflappable and a major factor in beating the Patriots.

I just hope head-banging Frerotte isn't gonna get the nod from Day 1 simply because he knows Linnehan's system. That hampered Feeley a lot last year, when Wannstedt gave so many summer reps to Fiedler.

I trust the coaches, but I just feel Frerotte is limited, and we don't yet know Feeley's ceiling.

discuss....
Anyone who says feeley reads coverages well clearly didnt see him play last year. He looks lost when diagnosing LB coverages. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom