Frerotte ahead of Feeley? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte ahead of Feeley?

TARHEEL38 said:
I couldn't agree more. Let them decide it on the field. Whoever wins the job wins the job. I will pull for them even if it is Feeley, who I admittedly dislisked. Just don't use this "lets use Feeley b/c he is younger and we don't know what he can do" line of BS. The same could be said about Berlin. We have yet to see what Brock can do and he is a lot younger than AJ. Lets give him all the 1st string reps. See it just doesn't work. If Gus is better, he should start.....PERIOD.

Well the world just came crashing down, I agree with this statement. I think AJ has potential, I think he can be a very good qb. But there have been numerous qbs that have had great potential and for a myriad of reasons never translated that potential to the field. AJ will have to show during the remainder of minicamp and throughout training camp that he can perform at a relatively high level and be consistent at that or frerrotte will start, that is unless Frerrotte would bomb out worse. I don not envision Berlin having a shot for a least a couple years. But Berlin could be a guy that Saban takes under his wings and develops for a couple years.

A.J. Feeley should certainly not be judged by last season. The entire team for that matter, it was a disaster from the begining. However, A.J. showed flashes at times last season that will probablly give him a shorter leash. He must make progress early and often in training camp and the preseason. Otherwise, the new regime is only going to field the team that there most comfortable with...and with Linehan as the OC, we know what that means. Frerotte has become a serviceable vet, but isn't that what we've had since Marino retired? Serviceable vets just stagnate the franchise...they're good enough to keep you treading water, but they can't get you to the shore. A.J. should have every shot, because he's younger and just plane has a better arm. Yet, if his decision making is shotty in training camp and preseason, we're looking at another year of a serviceable vet...and another year that we stagnate and not develop the QB position.

Boik14 said:
Anyone who says feeley reads coverages well clearly didnt see him play last year. He looks lost when diagnosing LB coverages. :eek:

well then... i guess the NFL scouts from whom that is a direct quote never actually watched him... and clearly then, you know more than does said scout(s)....

PressCoverage said:
well then... i guess the NFL scouts from whom that is a direct quote never actually watched him... and clearly then, you know more than does said scout(s)....
Apparently i do know more. Maybe i should be scouting. Review the tapes yourself, i already did. 6 or 7 passes intercepted by LB's in only half a season. NFL record half a dozen pick 6's in only half a season or so....thats pretty sad if you ask me and a pretty good indication hes lost when reading coverages.

Im not looking for the 376578536th AJ bashing thread ive participated in but I dont want to hear the excuses. i dont want to hear that he had no time; that doesnt make mistakes excuseable. If 1 player makes a mistake and cant handl/misses his block that means you should make another and compound the situation? No thank you! That ball is the responsibility of the qb and whatever happens to it is, in 99% of the cases, the fault of the qb with the rare exceptions being things like bobbled balls by wr's. If taking care of that ball is too much to handle than its time for a new qb. Im going in with as open a mind as I can and I prefer to be optimistic but as i have stated i dont see a reason to be optimistic with AJ.

Boik14 said:
Apparently i do know more. Maybe i should be scouting. Review the tapes yourself, i already did. 6 or 7 passes intercepted by LB's in only half a season. NFL record half a dozen pick 6's in only half a season or so....thats pretty sad if you ask me and a pretty good indication hes lost when reading coverages.

Im not looking for the 376578536th AJ bashing thread ive participated in but I dont want to hear the excuses. i dont want to hear that he had no time; that doesnt make mistakes excuseable. If 1 player makes a mistake and cant handl/misses his block that means you should make another and compound the situation? No thank you! That ball is the responsibility of the qb and whatever happens to it is, in 99% of the cases, the fault of the qb with the rare exceptions being things like bobbled balls by wr's. If taking care of that ball is too much to handle than its time for a new qb. Im going in with as open a mind as I can and I prefer to be optimistic but as i have stated i dont see a reason to be optimistic with AJ.

well then... noted.... i stand corrected... here's a link for scouting work:

https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/coursedescription_footballgm.asp

anyhoo, you know... they didn't block for Archie Manning either... and his career TD/INT ratio was 125/173.... but, i guess he was no good, and those were all his responsibility...

Boik14 said:

So go interview for a job. :j/k:

His problem wasnt he couldnt read defenses, his problem was A) forcing balls where he knew it was tight, and B) not reading his own receivers. Numerous ints were because AJ thought the route was going one way while teh receiver went another. Reading defenses last year was relatively simple blitz 6 cover 2 deep with 5 dbs.

You keep acting as if everyone is wrong when they state Feeley has potential, yet dont back it up with facts. You back it with opinons, which doesnt make the other wrong. Just means it disagrees with yours. You can be as stubborn as you want (which we all are stubborn in our opinions, not picking) doesnt make one opinion wrong or right.

finsmx said:
i hate to quote wanny but.... "the guy that gives us the best chance of winning has the start"

Wanny said the right thing there..too bad he didn't listen to his own words.

Vol&dolfan said:
Hey it's a new coach and new year he has little ties to the players since he just came in so I think the best player will get the starting nod.

By the same reasoning, AJ has ties with most of the players and they with him........time will tell no doubt!;)

PressCoverage said:
well then... noted.... i stand corrected... here's a link for scouting work:

https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/coursedescription_footballgm.asp

anyhoo, you know... they didn't block for Archie Manning either... and his career TD/INT ratio was 125/173.... but, i guess he was no good, and those were all his responsibility...
Thanks, maybe i will. :)

And yes, regardless of the qb the ints are the responsibility of the qb except in rare instances like i said before. It doesnt matter whether it was AJ, Marino or Manning. I never said Manning was no good; youre comparing qbs from different era's whos style of play is entirely different. Manning was good by the standards of his generation but those stats are horrible at best by todays standards.

Spin what I said however you would like boss. Facts are facts. Listen to any coach speak on the topic of TO's. If you ever saw a coach being interviewed, and im sure you have, you know that the overwhelming majority will say that the Qb must make the proper decisions whether to throw or just tuck it away.

rickeyrunsover said:
So go interview for a job. :j/k:

His problem wasnt he couldnt read defenses, his problem was A) forcing balls where he knew it was tight, and B) not reading his own receivers. Numerous ints were because AJ thought the route was going one way while teh receiver went another. Reading defenses last year was relatively simple blitz 6 cover 2 deep with 5 dbs.

You keep acting as if everyone is wrong when they state Feeley has potential, yet dont back it up with facts. You back it with opinons, which doesnt make the other wrong. Just means it disagrees with yours. You can be as stubborn as you want (which we all are stubborn in our opinions, not picking) doesnt make one opinion wrong or right.
Please show me where i said AJ didnt have potential in that post. id love to see it. My post was never about potential; it was about Aj's decisions and how poor they were. All I did was state a fact; and really it was a fact that aj's decision making sucked and that if it wasnt coverages he couldnt read than its that hes just flat out dumb which is even worse caus ethats much harder to correct.

Maybe you need to go back and rewatch things. I saw a qb that looked lost as can be. We've had this discussion before, for what?, 3 or 4 days? IMO youre wrong and thats all there is too it. Why you bother to persist when youve backed absolutely nothing up either is beyond me. ive backed up my point over and over and over on this. During teh browns game when Aj could manage to read the coverages he still couldnt do squat. It was the damn Browns! We won in spite of him and not because of him.

Now youre pushing this discussion where I was trying to avoid taking it since just about everyone already knows just from my sig how i feel about AJ and putting words in my post that werent there.

Boik14 said:
Thanks, maybe i will. :)

youre comparing qbs from different era's whos style of play is entirely different. Manning was good by the standards of his generation but those stats are horrible at best by todays standards.

Spin what I said however you would like boss. Facts are facts..

Spin? ... Facts? *sigh*...

You: "his decision making sucks"
Sporting News Scouting Guide: "makes excellent decisions"....

i guess somewhere in the middle lies the truth, as its subjective at best... but one thing is certain: neither quote can be called "fact"...

let's just agree to disagree then, shall we?... boss?....

I agree the dolphins shouldn't pull an Orlando magic trick by never developing talent, let feeley start because the team does not need to be put together with bandages.
Feeley wasn't all that bad considering the o-line he was throwing behind. Look at what brett farve did last year and he had a decent o-line.

Feeley will catch up and compete for the starting job. IMO Feeley wiil not let Gus start this season as he knows this is his final shot to start in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom